PDA

View Full Version : Winter Banking at Folsom? Possible or dumb?

dsa2780
12-29-2012, 01:18 AM
I've been out of the trout game for years now and I'm looking to change that. I mainly fish the Delta area where I currently live at, but with the rivers being blown out and muddied by the recent storm, me and some friends wanted to go and bank fish for trout somewhere in the general Sacramento area. Folsom seems to fit that description. It's close, has bank access and was stocked on the 16th with trout, right?

Just wanted to know if anyone had any tips on banking for trout around this time of year. I read some articles on here and did some thread searching that ended up influencing my pre-trip purchases. I picked up some Pautzke Firebait, 3/8th ounce egg sinker, medium splitshots, size 6 generic snelled bait holding hooks and a fine variety of Rooster Tail Spinners. Nightcrawlers will of course end up being brought along, and an assortment of Rapalas and small rebels.

Would that gear be able to land a few trout from the banks? I also have some Salmon Roe ready to be thawed out in the freezer, I'm guessing I should break that out as well?

Any tips or tricks for this time of year around there would be awesome! I know the basics to trout fishing but haven't been able to do any since selling the boat. I mainly would troll for them or always do simple split shot and worm stream fishing while hiking.

allkokedup
12-29-2012, 05:48 AM
The far side of Mormon island Dyke 8 area,egg sinker with 3 ft leader off the bottom with a blown up night crawler,or clear slip bobber on top with a 3 ft leader and a minnow,trout and maybe a salmon with the minnow......

CATKILLER
12-29-2012, 06:28 AM
You have all you need but you mite get some pro-cure scent. The water bobber with a 5' leader
and a wooleybogger with scent on it mite do the trick if they are up top.

Catkiller:clappingcheesehead:

Marv
12-29-2012, 07:55 AM
If I may make a suggestion, ditch the snelled hooks. The line that comes on them is like 8'' and thick as a jump rope. Cut the line off of them and retie with some 2-6lb.line and a clinch or palomar knot. Not sure if your willing to drive a little further, but if you are check out Collins or Melones. Some big fish coming off the banks at both these places.

iggybabble
12-29-2012, 11:34 AM
A big yes to Marv's suggestion on snelled hooks! Most of them suck, badly! Some are just crappy, dull, and crudely made. And snelled hooks require either a snap, or a knot to attach them to the line. Every time you add more knots, you make a weaker setup. I like tying my main line (#4-6 lb) directly to my hook, after I've threaded on an 1/8 or 1/4 oz egg sinker with a small split shot pinched on 2 feet above the hook. This puts one knot on my line, and it's dirt cheap when you snag up and break off on the bottom. If you fish enough, it's worth buying a bigger box of hooks (50 or 100) and saving a bunch of money.........

CATKILLER
12-29-2012, 12:20 PM
If I may make a suggestion, ditch the snelled hooks. The line that comes on them is like 8'' and thick as a jump rope. Cut the line off of them and retie with some 2-6lb.line and a clinch or palomar knot. Not sure if your willing to drive a little further, but if you are check out Collins or Melones. Some big fish coming off the banks at both these places.
Marv is 100 % right on the snelled hooks

tinytrout
12-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Water bobber and medium minnow at Rattlesnake bar has always worked well for me.
Tiny

PapaGreg
12-29-2012, 01:13 PM
iggybabble is right on about the price of hooks, $2.76 for eleven eagle claw lazer hooks, or $5.09 for 60 of the same! Size 6 at Wally.

dsa2780
12-29-2012, 02:29 PM
I'll take the advice about clipping the snells from the hooks. I'll pick up the bulk eagle claw hooks soon or invest in some Owner hooks.

Also, does anyone know if Jenkinson Lake accessible during this time of year? It's further than Folsom, but for a little day trip with some friends, it may be a bit more enjoyable. Never fished that lake before, but I hear it has rainbows and browns.

dsa2780
12-30-2012, 05:45 PM
*Update*

Went out today. On the water at around 8AM. Soaked worms and marshmallows to no avail, and Pautzke Fire bait has the consistency of pancake batter. That stuff won't even mold to a hook.

2 hits on a rooster tail spinner with a worm trailer, lost both fish at the bank at around 10. They follow close to the bank, then hit at the shore. Bite died at around 11 when the wind picked up.

Fished near the rock walls with a jogging path above them.

Bummed, but hey, still saw some nice trout.

Anyone else out there today? Saw a green yak trolling near my location near the buoys.