PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for New Melones?

mryosemite
12-29-2012, 08:15 PM
I'm going to be in the neighborhood of New Melones tomorrow and/or the next couple days Would like to catch a few shore fish in the afternoon. Does anyone have a good starting point? I think Melones is the 3rd largest lake in Cali? It's a bit intimidating. I'm not looking for any honey holes but if anyone can recommend a road, a starting point, whatever...that would be great. If nothing else, any fish I catch will be there for you next time, I throw all of them back.

I've read the trout are in the shallows, they're hitting gold colored spoons, Kastmasters, etc. Fish the coves to get the fish that are staying out of the wind...but where to begin, how about pointing me to a general shoreline...north, south, east, west?

Thanks guys, I'm a first timer on FS...show me some love!

Tigerfox
12-29-2012, 08:30 PM
You have so many choices. I'm not sure where to start, but I love angles cove. Many hold overs live close and there are a few fresh water entry points in to the cove so many fish school here. There is also the campsite point. across from the marina. It's a bit of a walk due to the fact that you'll get a nasty message for the ranger. You can't go wrong on any point on the glory hole side. As far as tuttletown, I've had a ton of luck to the left of the middle ramp in the cove. It's pretty deep here, so casting out far isn't that important as scent and correct bait. If any of this doesn't help, you can call glory hole sports and they will give you the lowdown. They have given me a lot of help over the last few years....Tight Lines.....

Steve079
12-29-2012, 09:01 PM
I'd hit Tuttletown for your first trip. Easy access, easy walking, and the fishing is good. another plus is the cleaning station, and bathrooms nearby if you take family. Acess tuttlwtown via Reynolds Ferry road, just south of the Hiway 49 bridge, on the tuolumne county side

I like to walk around to the south of the launch area, nice cove and a point or two there. Can't beat kastmasters at melones, blue/silver or gold are consistent producers. if they don't want lures, you can always dunk a little salmon egg power bait, or use the real thing.

RideNfish
12-29-2012, 09:05 PM
I'd hit Tuttletown for your first trip. Easy access, easy walking, and the fishing is good. another plus is the cleaning station, and bathrooms nearby if you take family.

I like to walk around to the south of the launch area, nice cove and a point or two there. Can't beat kastmasters at melones, blue/silver or gold are consistent producers. if they don't want lures, you can always dunk a little salmon egg power bait, or use the real thing.

+1 on this. Start around Tuttletown. Park at the boat ramp and
start cruising around. As the weather gets colder the shallow points are
getting better. But people are pretty much getting limits at these
areas though the holdover type trout are not common as of yet. They will
get more frequent as the water cools.

mryosemite
12-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Great tips guys, I very much appreciate the help. Sounds like these are the most common and known spots. I don't mind hiking at all, I'd just assume get away from the crowd as much as possible. I'll hike for an hour to fish solo...that's how I get the nature in my blood. That said, any other reccommendations? Again, these are priceless, thanks again!

oldgeezer71
12-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Good recommendations from all of the guys on this post. Here's two other locations for you to consider that have produced a lot of fish on the Calaveras side. Just a short distance up from the right turn-off to Angels Cove, continue up the hill a short distance and look for a pull out parking area on the left. Cross the road and head down a steep hill to the water. We get started at daybreak as the fish seem to be biting well at this time of day. The later you arrive, the more people will be fishing this area,however you can move (looking north towards the visible boat ramp), left to deeper water or right to shallower water and avoid the crowd. Another area that is good is the marina located a mile or so from the above location...just look for the signs to the Marina on the left, turn left and park about half way down in a large parking lot. It's a short walk to the water and we fish to the left along the bank and have had success throwing lures as mentioned above towards the moored boats.
BTW according to information I talked with last week, the fish cleaning station at Angels Cove is closed due to vandalism, (kids threw rocks in the grinder) so there is an advantage to fishing Tuttletown with respect to cleaning your fish. FYI, a friend told me that there is a $700.00 fine for cleaning and throwing your fish guts either in the water or on the bank. It's absolutely prohibited according to his information. Anyway, good luck and have a great day fishing this beautiful lake.