PDA

View Full Version : crabbing Tomales 12/30

nayr
12-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Picked up my brother and the boat around 445 arrived at miller park launch just before sunrise. Dropped pots up towards the mouth for a set of blanks after a 2 hour soak. made some adjustments and after 2 more pulls we had 10 good dungies and kept 10 reds too. I also tried drifting baits around previius successful areas to no avail. off the water at 2 .all in all a pretty nice day on the water once the fog lifted

MoMoney
01-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Some day I gotta go with you guys and try crabbin.How many times have you gone all the way there and couldnt launch due to weather?

nayr
01-05-2013, 08:59 AM
hey whats up? havnt seen you on here in while, hope all is well. I havnt had to come home due to the weather yet. noaa forecast on weather.gov is pretty accurate . anything under/around 10 mph gusts are fishable in the little boat.

Uncle_Sam
01-10-2013, 09:18 AM
I fish and crab there in my 14 foot Klamath. Most people use that or a similar boat. I have had some real adventures on Tomales. The last time was Nov 15 when I went crabbing with another dad on my son's football team. We caught two keeper size in one trap. However, we lost all three crab traps we had. My companion ignored my request that he remain seated, stood up, and started looking for the crab traps. That's the last time I go with him. Three crab traps are not worth risking capsizing.

Four years ago I took my family fishing there. I used this 15 HP two stroke. When I got to the dock I pulled out the choke - all the way out! I managed to get he motor started anyway. We made it out to Hog Island before it died. Kathryn caught a four foot long dogfish (grey sand shark). I cut the line because I was not going to eat it and I thought that any live shark in a small boat was contraindicated by the presence of a young boy. Thirty seconds later my son catches the very same fish. It still had his mother's hook in its mouth. I cut the line again. I looked up and saw an enormous sturgeon breaking the surface about 100 yards away. It was the biggest fish I have ever seen! Then I had to row us back.

nayr
01-10-2013, 04:31 PM
goodstuff man. i havnt landed too many fish out of the bay yet. just some assorted rock cod.