PDA

View Full Version : Another Caples successful trip

corkscrew
01-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Arrived at Caples this morning at 7:45 and fished a few feet from shore until 9:15. Not even a nibble. Picked up and moved to a different area and about 9:30 it started to pick up. It was lights out from about 10am to about 11:30. Went dead until about 12:30 and my buddy and I were about to leave and the bite turned on again until we finally had to leave at 2:30.
Night crawlers and power worms did the trick. Fished depths from 3 feet up to about 12 feet.

We caught 26 total. All rainbows. all fish were between 11" and 15". Might go next week and go out deeper and try for bigger fish.

All in all was a fantastic trip. Only saw 3 different groups of people fishing all day.

insearchoffish
01-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Way to brave the cold:cold1:, nice chest o fish!

steevo44
01-05-2013, 11:50 PM
Were you ice fishing??? Is the lake frozen at all?

mtn. man
01-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Good to see you're getting into some fish. Also see you have the right kind of boots for standing on the ice all day. If you have a second rod stamp, drill a couple of extra holes and do some jigging. kastmasters always work really good on the ice. Blue/silver is my #1 choice ice fishing caples and silver.
If you fish by the spillway, you'll notice a big red bouy out there towards to south side. AVOID that area like the plague. That's where Kirkwood draws water from for making snow. The ice in that area is ALWAYS very unpredictable.
Good Luck out there....Stay dry and warm...

corkscrew
01-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Good to see you're getting into some fish. Also see you have the right kind of boots for standing on the ice all day. If you have a second rod stamp, drill a couple of extra holes and do some jigging. kastmasters always work really good on the ice. Blue/silver is my #1 choice ice fishing caples and silver.
If you fish by the spillway, you'll notice a big red bouy out there towards to south side. AVOID that area like the plague. That's where Kirkwood draws water from for making snow. The ice in that area is ALWAYS very unpredictable.
Good Luck out there....Stay dry and warm...
Probably drilled about 15 holes in total yesterday. It seemed like every time we drilled a new hole we caught a fish almost immediately. I love to jig with small gold kastmasters and have caught a lot of fish with them through the ice in the past. Mostly browns. Sometimes I will tip the treble hook with a piece of worm. This year however it's been all planter size rainbows near the spillway.
I think next week I will try the other side of the lake and maybe go deeper. I can always come back to my honey hole.

corkscrew
01-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Were you ice fishing??? Is the lake frozen at all?
Right now there is about 10 inches of ice with a top layer of hardened snow/softer ice on top of about 12 inches.

Bainter1212
01-06-2013, 12:53 PM
The east end of the lake near the Woods creek inlet is always the hot spot for summer trolling, stands to reason that that area might be decent under ice as well. Although not too close to the creek.....ice might be a bit thin there. JMO

mtn. man
01-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Probably drilled about 15 holes in total yesterday. It seemed like every time we drilled a new hole we caught a fish almost immediately. I love to jig with small gold kastmasters and have caught a lot of fish with them through the ice in the past. Mostly browns. Sometimes I will tip the treble hook with a piece of worm. This year however it's been all planter size rainbows near the spillway.
I think next week I will try the other side of the lake and maybe go deeper. I can always come back to my honey hole.

The spillway is always a sure bet. I've hooked into fish there that I couldn't even begin to slow down. It's early, the big boys will be cruising the shallows soon in search of more food. Over by the dam is another good spot to fish, the water's deeper. You might not get as many fish, but they do seem to be bigger fish there. If you're into walking, and you're prepared for it, there's a ridge out in front of the lodge that pretty much goes all the way across the lake. Drill holes on top of, and off to both sides of the ridge ( this is where a FF comes in handy) I've caught my biggest macks in that area.

corkscrew
01-06-2013, 05:28 PM
The spillway is always a sure bet. I've hooked into fish there that I couldn't even begin to slow down. It's early, the big boys will be cruising the shallows soon in search of more food. Over by the dam is another good spot to fish, the water's deeper. You might not get as many fish, but they do seem to be bigger fish there. If you're into walking, and you're prepared for it, there's a ridge out in front of the lodge that pretty much goes all the way across the lake. Drill holes on top of, and off to both sides of the ridge ( this is where a FF comes in handy) I've caught my biggest macks in that area.
Thanks, might try the ridge next time. I've tried the dam a few times with moderate success. I usually stop ice fishing Caples around early February because my auger (8"dia) usually isn't long enough by then, depending on snowfall. I made a 12" extension outta two pieces of pipe but it's quite a hassle.
BTW last year was horrible due to low precipitation and Kirkwood sucking up all the water. Some days on the ice sounded like a thunder and lightning show.

corkscrew
01-06-2013, 05:32 PM
The east end of the lake near the Woods creek inlet is always the hot spot for summer trolling, stands to reason that that area might be decent under ice as well. Although not too close to the creek.....ice might be a bit thin there. JMO
Thanks, I just might try it. I scouted the area yesterday for a place to park(on the snowy roads) and it looks like right by the East end of the dam is the closest?

Yooshi1616
01-07-2013, 01:15 PM
I have never ice fished before but it seems like it would be a blast! It's probably quiet with nobody around!

Questions...do you have a manual augger? how hard is it to drill the hole with a manual one? Any advice for someone going for their first time? I've grown up fishing off 88...but always shut down when the snow hits!

Thanks!

corkscrew
01-07-2013, 02:20 PM
If you are going for your first time my advice is to First dress warm. Then, I bought my Manual auger from Bass Pro online for 40 bucks. Make sure to buy some sort of strainer to scoop up pieces of ice once you have drilled a hole.
Then start with something simple like a nightcrawler or power bait in relatively shallow water(less than 15 feet). You do not have to go out on the ice very far. Use a little trial and error. Hope this helps get you started...and good luck.

Marv
01-07-2013, 05:39 PM
I have never ice fished before but it seems like it would be a blast! It's probably quiet with nobody around!

Questions...do you have a manual augger? how hard is it to drill the hole with a manual one? Any advice for someone going for their first time? I've grown up fishing off 88...but always shut down when the snow hits!

Thanks!

I'm sure with all the holes already drilled you can bring a scoop strainer and a device to break up the ice refreezing in a fresher hole. I want a little shanty like the Minnesota guys have, they're like tough sheds with holes in the floor, bring the direct TV satellite and you could drink beer, fish, and watch the game. :)