PDA

View Full Version : There's a moon out tonight, wo oh oh oh

Uncle_Sam
08-08-2006, 10:19 PM
It's the full moon. I was wondering what people actually have experienced fishing during the full moon.

Fish_R_Us
08-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Uncle_Sam,

Try going back a couple months on this board. This topic has been discussed in depth, and everybody seems to have different observations. In general, there seems to be increasing activity from about 1 1/2 weeks before full moon, and then the activity seems to decrease during or right after FM, due to the fish being able to see and actively feed during nignt time FM periods.

THE_SQUID
08-09-2006, 02:54 PM
When I used to flyfish for stripers a lot, 90% of it was at night. What I noticed was that in the rivers there is almost always small fish migrating downstream to the bay or ocean. They seem to migrate on the surface since you can see them flipping out of the water as the current moves them along.
The stripers hide in the shadows created by lights and then ambush the bait when they get close to the shadow line. The darker the night, the more distinct the shadow line and the more the bait are at risk. The bait seem to behave as though they're invisible in the dark.Suddenly they find themselves in a light band and exposed.
When the moon was up and full, you wouldn't see bait on the surface. As soon as the moon set, the bait would reappear and the bite would be on. That's my experience with stripers anyway.