PDA

View Full Version : Duck Jerky and other recipes

GNappers
01-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Just started duck hunting this year and my buddy gave me a good idea of cleaning off the fat for the breast and cutting the breast in 3's . Then salt brine 48 hrs to draw out the blood changing the water at least once. Marinate the duck chunks with 7-up, apricot jam and other seasonings you like at least 1 day, I do 2 days. Soak tooth picks 30 minutes and skewer ducks that have been wrapped in bacon then barbecue on high heat. Apps are done when bacon is cooked.

This is a great way to use bay ducks but I wanted to try something new so I found a recipe on Hunt Angler Garden Cook. I did the same prep but marinated the duck with port, soy sauce teriyaki, lemon juice and other ingredients for 2-4 days. Some pieces I thinned with a meat tenderizer then patted dry with paper towels and on to wire racks on cookie sheets. Placed cookie sheets in oven turned to warm and left the oven door slightly opened. (I don't have a de-hydrator). After an hour I rotate the cookie sheets then another hour I flip the duck chunks. Takes 2-4 hours for the tenderized pieces and at least 6 for the chunks left thicker. Another batch I added red pepper flakes after patting the ducks. Push flakes into duck so they don't fall off.

Majority of the ducks we get are blues but have had a few mallards especially lately. A 3 rd way I use the duck is by making duck burgers by salt brine, marinate, the grinned in food processor with bacon just cooked through. In bowl combine homemade bread crumbs, duck bacon mix and an egg or 2. Make patties and grill or pan-fry. Bacon is already cooked and duck can be eaten medium rare. Anybody have any other recipes for bay ducks?

Hof
01-20-2013, 04:18 PM
Sounds like you are having a good time cooking up those birds. You can't go wrong wrapping anything and bacon. I like my duck cooked very simple. If I am just cooking up some duck breasts I slice them into long pieces, dredge them in flour and seasoned salt then Fry them up. I will eat a few for dinner then put the rest in the fridge in a Ziploc bag, throughout the day I'll pick At them like I'm eating a bag of potato chips. Definitely not fancy, but good eats for me.

hof

:cheers:

GNappers
01-21-2013, 02:44 PM
Sounds like a little country fried stake. Do you you prep those birds or are they puddle duck's?

Hof
01-24-2013, 10:55 AM
I soak them for a while in a little salt water and drain it out a few times. You are right, Kind of like a basic chicken fried steak, just no egg wash. Key in my opinion for any game is to not over cook it. It will kill you....but hard to beat anything fried:thumbup:

hof