PDA

View Full Version : Trout Forum? Or New Melones Forum?

mryosemite
01-19-2013, 06:42 PM
Seems as though New Melones is the only lake getting any attention these days. We should change this to the New Melones forum!

How about Don Pedro...anyone do any shore fishing there? Tulloch? Pinecrest? How about 4 wheeling to the back of Lyons? Work with me people!

Jfitalia
01-19-2013, 07:55 PM
well the bite at Melones has been on fire so that's why people are going there. All of the other lakes are struggling a bit so anglers aren't fishing them.

Bainter1212
01-19-2013, 07:57 PM
Winter is slow for trout.....3/4 of the good trout lakes are frozen over, so we are stuck with valley and foothill lakes.

FolsomFishing
01-19-2013, 08:52 PM
There are on and off reports of limits at Folsom, but I haven't seen one reported in a few or so.

phishndad
01-19-2013, 11:44 PM
Late dec thru febuary melones kicks out a lot of quality hold overs so thats why you are getting a large number of melones reports.

RideNfish
01-20-2013, 09:28 AM
Get your a@$ out to other lakes and post suck-a. :)

Pinecrest is drained, Lyons is locked up. Go to Don P and let us know so I don't waste the gas. :grin:

BigUnInDaBoat
01-20-2013, 09:43 AM
Get your a@$ out to other lakes and post suck-a. :)

Pinecrest is drained, Lyons is locked up. Go to Don P and let us know so I don't waste the gas. :grin:

DP...$15 to launch...lame.

Seon
01-20-2013, 10:39 AM
DP...$15 to launch...lame.

And that's exactly why I don't fish Camanche even though I look out from my back porch and see the lake. They charge $9 launch fee, $5 fishing access fee but they charge an additional $7 day use "parking" fee. For me to purchase a senior's season pass, it would cost $245 :foottap:.

This year for me, is actually the first time Trout fishing from my boat so Melones not only has been producing quality Trout, their fee is only $10 to launch, $5 for seniors and I bought a senior's season pass for $35.

schatgun
01-20-2013, 10:58 AM
And that's exactly why I don't fish Camanche even though I look out from my back porch and see the lake. They charge $9 launch fee, $5 fishing access fee but they charge an additional $7 day use "parking" fee. For me to purchase a senior's season pass, it would cost $245 :foottap:.

So you pay an extra $40 bucks in fuel & close to an hours drive to save $10 in launching fees?....:bananadevil:

I can say, through experience, there are several other lakes that are kicking out some high quality large trout but alot of people are staying mum in fear they will get blown out & beat up the way Melones is right now....:wink:

Seon
01-20-2013, 11:19 AM
So you pay an extra $40 bucks in fuel & close to an hours drive to save $10 in launching fees?....:bananadevil:

:wink:

Yuuuuuuuuuuuup

I also tow the boat all the way to Bodega Bay for crabbing and Salmon instead of out the gate or HMB:winkfs: :grin:

dabalone
01-20-2013, 11:32 AM
I am sure some "principle" is in there somewhere, people will just not participate if they feel they are being dinged. Its the simplest and most effective way American people have of silently protesting something. Principle may cost you a little more at times but without it you just become another sheeple.

Marv
01-20-2013, 07:26 PM
@Op

You just posted a giant fish on here and on gloryhole.com of course the traffic is going to pick up, lol. :) if we post an awesome report tomorrow about Amador you'd see "ripple" posts in the following days, kinda the point of looking at reports :)

@Seon Most lakes around here are $10 to park +$15 or to launch at least they haven't caught on to charging for a fishing pass, lol. Melones fish look way better than manche trout any day. :)

CAL.NDN
01-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Im catching limits at William land park pond awsome holdovers 5# class see ya all there in the morning. :)

schatgun
01-20-2013, 08:07 PM
I am sure some "principle" is in there somewhere, people will just not participate if they feel they are being dinged. Its the simplest and most effective way American people have of silently protesting something. Principle may cost you a little more at times but without it you just become another sheeple.

Really?

Dinged at the gas pump or dinged at the boat launch....one way or another we are all getting dinged...

I'm all about minimizing the ding & I'm all about more bang for my buck.......

.....pay more to the oil companies & less to EBMUD...$10?.....

Proof that everyone's principles vary....I'm not one to judge of anothers principles.....

Keep on keeping on....

mryosemite
01-20-2013, 08:37 PM
Ok, here's what I can offer in terms of reports, they're mildly outdated but they could still be right on target for all I know.

I hit Lyons in October before they closed the gate. Last year, I went about 6 times between Sept and when they closed the gate in fairly late November. Was consistently catching 20+ fish in the last few hours of light regardless of whether I used bait or threw cast masters. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. This year, the difference was night and day. Lake was 4 times lower, I fished longer than usual and managed to catch the monster blue gill you see here.

I know people take 4 wheelers down there throughout the entire winter and they have the lake to themselves. The best I've done is to simply park at the gate, walk 2 miles down to the lake, 2 miles around most of the lake, and then back up. 8 miles total but you have the lake to yourself. Not sure if it's legal, the gate might be closed but there aren't any signs that say you can't fish or that it's seasonal.

Last time I hit Pinecrest was in November. Got there at 1:30pm, fished till it was pitch black at 5pm. Caught 21 fish (blackjack!) and 20 of those were on castmasters. Just about had the lake to myself. Only problem was that all of the fish were 10-12" except for one that was 15". As a matter of fact, the one that was 15" is my profile pic. Again, it was like shooting fish in a barrel. As far as I know, you can still get to Pinecrest and even with the water very low, that just concentrates the fish and those were the conditions I had in Nov.

As for Don Pedro...I wonder if it's the same as New Melones. Large lake, a "million" coves, seems like the fishing conditions might match NM. If the fish are going to the coves and shallows at Melones, why not the same at Pedro? I'm guessing people aren't going there because it's an extra 30 min drive and those of you that boat would have to pull your rig up those large hills? I might go there next time just for some variety. Probably a lot less pressure than Melones.

As for this bluegill...don't hate...congratulate!

schatgun
01-20-2013, 09:06 PM
As for Don Pedro...I wonder if it's the same as New Melones. Large lake, a "million" coves, seems like the fishing conditions might match NM. If the fish are going to the coves and shallows at Melones, why not the same at Pedro? I'm guessing people aren't going there because it's an extra 30 min drive and those of you that boat would have to pull your rig up those large hills? I might go there next time just for some variety. Probably a lot less pressure than Melones.

As for this bluegill...don't hate...congratulate!

Atta Kid....for us Valley mongers...the drive is the same...Launch is a couple bucks more....but oh well....the kings in that lake much more than make up for that...Slow rolling shad & anchovies.....5 lb + kings....yeah baby....

mryosemite
01-20-2013, 09:38 PM
My god shat...its not always about the boat. Us poor boatless wonders wanna know if its worth walking a mile or two of shore.

On that note, Ive only fished there once and it was on a boat. jigging worms for bass and ended up catching a 15 or 16 inch salmon.

Jfitalia
01-20-2013, 09:46 PM
My god shat...its not always about the boat. Us poor boatless wonders wanna know if its worth walking a mile or two of shore.

On that note, Ive only fished there once and it was on a boat. jigging worms for bass and ended up catching a 15 or 16 inch salmon.

Schat is going to talk about launch fees cause those of us with boats use them. If you want to know if it's worth walking a mile or two then go do the hike. Otherwise complaining about the lack of reports isn't going to help.

mryosemite
01-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Oh jfit....are you a Falcons fan. lighten up buddy, it was all good natured joking around. Do you need a hug?

Jfitalia
01-20-2013, 10:47 PM
Oh jfit....are you a Falcons fan. lighten up buddy, it was all good natured joking around. Do you need a hug?

no i am a niners fan thanks.

i am just trying to help you so that you can stay on here awhile. You'll learn quickly that we all like to joke. I simply stated a fact which is if your not seeing a report that you want. That maybe it's time for you to make one.

CAL.NDN
01-21-2013, 06:01 AM
All the lakes over that way are awsome from.bank in winter every lake around i know of is. If i didnt have steelhead fever so bad i would show ya. We slay trout in lakes in winter get out get some and be happy im giving them a rest this year. :)

sollimes
01-21-2013, 07:30 AM
Nice looking Bluegill! Where are the trout pics?

Seon
01-21-2013, 07:32 AM
For me itís not the price of the launch fee, itís about the other fees. I can understand the fishing access fee if theyíre stocking the lake. But why do they charge the day-use parking fee? Any other lake or Marina charges that?
But wait; check out the annual pass fees. Itís $245 annually for seniors vs. $35 at Melones and oh btw itís calendar year for the pass. For young whippersnappers, itíll cost you $390 for the annual pass.

Bottom line is that if I donít like whatís on the menu at a restaurant, I go else where, regardless of the cost of fuel or the amount of time to get there. It's all about personal perference and I don't like Camanche's menu, so donít be hating http://www.ifish.net/board/images/smilies/flowerred.gif .

2013 Camanche Fees

Annual Passes **

Regular
Rate

Senior or
Disabled Rate

Car

$150

$75

Boat Launch

$140

$70

Fishing Access *
After July 1st

$100
$40

Jetspray
01-21-2013, 08:04 AM
OK after reading a bunch of hijacks about other lakes and launches I just don't get the header. New Melones is a great lake some of the time, but not all the time, for trout. As far as other species they have their respective forums. If you wanted only a New Melones Forum you would have to include other species as well. Some of us do not even have an appreciation of the lake as they have never fished it or it is a bazillion miles away. To me I just can't see justified reasons to change things up for a specific lake. You would have to include other state's lakes, rivers, streams, oceans.....etc...etc. I'm just sayin':hissyfit::stirthepot::evil::soapbox5gm::wha tsup3nt:...........Jetspray

mryosemite
01-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Cal - thanks for the positive comment! You've inspired me, just saying that most of the lakes are pretty good all winter long is enough to make me try Pedro. Never fished the shore there but I'm game for finding a good spot. If I get lucky, I'll post a pick.

Shat - I hope you know I was just busting your balls when I joked about boats vs. shore fishing. I've appreciated your sense of humor ever since you said you were going to do some "varsity style fishing"...you cracked me up.

As for anyone else out there that thought I was seriously suggesting we change the forum to New Melones or that I was complaining about all of the Melones posts....just lighten up. Good lord, learn sarcasm, it will help you get through life. I recently posted a New Melones thread myself and in fact, I've done a couple of them. And if anyone dares me, I'll do it again!

My impression was that we could all joke around and that my thread would simply inspire some new conversations and maybe get people talking about different lakes and places to fish. Some how, it was perceived as an attack...or that I was complaining. I'm sorry but this is a fishing forum about trout...I couldn't imagine people would take things so seriously, get so defensive, etc.

Anyway, I propose we all meet at Girls, Girls, Girls for a big group hug. I'll get there early, I'll be the one wearing a dancer. Afterwords, we go attack the blue gill at Lyons. Opps! I broke another rule, I posted a pic of a blue gill on a trout forum. I hope the Fisher Sniffer police don't get me! LOL.

dabalone
01-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Really?

Dinged at the gas pump or dinged at the boat launch....one way or another we are all getting dinged...

I'm all about minimizing the ding & I'm all about more bang for my buck.......

.....pay more to the oil companies & less to EBMUD...$10?.....

Proof that everyone's principles vary....I'm not one to judge of anothers principles.....

Keep on keeping on....

You bet principles vary from person to person and yes we get dinged all the time, but we do have "some" control over who does the dinging. For many people its not all about the money.

CRABBY
01-21-2013, 12:56 PM
You bet principles vary from person to person and yes we get dinged all the time, but we do have "some" control over who does the dinging. For many people its not all about the money.SO WHAT- about anything.It's your choice where to get dinged,gas pump or lake,your choice!!It's no diff.than where ya shop,do ya go to the local mom an pop bait store or to wal mart??Your choice,your money!!!Do as you please,it's nobody's business!!!:1sheep03h7ot: an certainly not worth arguing about!!!:shocked:

Seon
01-21-2013, 01:27 PM
SO ... certainly not worth arguing about!!!:shocked:

Don, I see no arguing on this thread, just merely members voicing their point of views. As for Melones, Al and I headed up there tomorrow and scratch off the second launch on the annual pass. Then 5 more launches and it paid for itself.

UPDATE: seat taken.

Stinger15
01-21-2013, 02:26 PM
I dislike paying the fees too, but my other pasttime, golf, costs me 30 to 40 bucks plus transportation to the course for five hours of fun. One thing I like about Camanchee is if I only plan on keeping five fish, I pay for one pass. Even if I have two people fishing. So, I pay 18.50. I am impressed with the quality and size of the fish. I will post some on my thread later tonite.

My granddaughter commented on the cleanliness of the bathrooms, which made me feel my fees were being put to proper use.

I would love to go to melones,and will, but for now I have been enjoying the "value" of Comanchee. I plan on hitting Pardee when it opens, but I know the fees are higher there.

Now that I have a bigger, heavier boat, the vehicle gas consumption to yank it around here and there concerns me more than the fishing fees. Last salmon season I rented a slip at Freeport and for 120.00 a month I saved alot over hauling the boat and dealing with launch delays and fees.

schatgun
01-21-2013, 05:21 PM
It's all about personal perference and I don't like Camanche's menu, so donít be hating http://www.ifish.net/board/images/smilies/flowerred.gif .

2013 Camanche Fees

Annual Passes **

Regular
Rate

Senior or
Disabled Rate

Car

$150

$75

Boat Launch

$140

$70

Fishing Access *
After July 1st

$100
$40

I totaly get it...one reason I don't fish often....but it is a nice facility and a fresh change of pace from Melones....I too have the Annual pass @ Melones ($70 for us young whipper snappers) worth every penny....Between the trout & Kokanee it a great fishery....

Shat - I hope you know I was just busting your balls when I joked about boats vs. shore fishing. I've appreciated your sense of humor ever since you said you were going to do some "varsity style fishing"...you cracked me up. Dude...no worries....I have some of the thickest skin out there....& I knew exactly where you were going with it...by the way ....you left the C out of Schat....don't let it happen again....

My granddaughter commented on the cleanliness of the bathrooms, which made me feel my fees were being put to proper use.

I would love to go to melones,and will, but for now I have been enjoying the "value" of Comanchee. I plan on hitting Pardee when it opens, but I know the fees are higher there.

Now that I have a bigger, heavier boat, the vehicle gas consumption to yank it around here and there concerns me more than the fishing fees. Last salmon season I rented a slip at Freeport and for 120.00 a month I saved alot over hauling the boat and dealing with launch delays and fees.
My buddy rents a slip @ HMB during crab season for that same reason....2 round trips cost the same in fuel as it does to rent the slip....& he goes 1 to 2 xs every week....

We are all fortunate to have some great local fisheries close by....we may gripe & groan that they aren't what they used to be, or the prices are too high, or gas is too expensive...ect....

But when you break it down we all do this for recreation....Yeah it sucks that it keeps getting pricier but hey, Its what I love .....and love don't come cheap...Now I'm off to work some overtime to pay for this expensive addiction....

RideNfish
01-21-2013, 08:33 PM
How come I knew this was a joking thread and others didn't? I want to start a thread of just the Grantline Slough. Can I do that? :shocked:

If we were all rich it wouldn't be an issue for fees but we are not (especially me). But pick and choose where to fish and bring on the reports. I love the high catch reports at a high cost lake. I get all the joy for free if you write worth a crud. haha

CAL.NDN
01-21-2013, 08:55 PM
I cant catch fish and definitely suck at reports please help doug. I love grant line slough monster trout think im gona go there and look at people's catching them.