PDA

View Full Version : Union Valley dam road condition?

Treebeard
01-21-2013, 12:16 AM
Hoping to get out for my first trip of the season - actually my first in almost a year - thought I'd try Union Valley because have had good luck there in previous winters.I'll be banking, and can't stray too far from the truck - maybe 1/4 mile tops. The snow map says coverage is pretty light, down near zero in some places.

Have never been to the dam end of the lake so thought I'd try there, but don't know what the road may be like. I have just a basic 2WD small pickup, so can't handle much ice & snow. SMUD keeps Ice House Road and the road to the dam clear, but there are different varieties of "clear"... anyone been to the dam lately?
Thanks!

TB

Snifferman
01-21-2013, 08:37 AM
We fished Union Valley 2 weeks ago. The road was plowed all the way and the launch ramp was plowed and clear. I don't think there has been any snow since then.
We caught 5 mackinaw to 7 pounds and about a dozen planter rainbows to 14 inches. The macks were caught right on the bottom with large broken back Flatfish in rainbow trout pattern, and also with a Double Flutter spoon in silver kokanee. The rainbows came all on top on a gold Kastmaster and gold/red Cripplures.

Treebeard
01-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Thanks, Snifferman!
if I get to go, I'll be sure to post an update...

TB

buckman78
01-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Hey treebeard, I went up to ice house on Saturday. Most of the road was fine, but there are some really icy spots, that I wouldnt attempt without having 4x4 or chains as back up.
I talked to a forest service guy at ice house and he said the road going to union can be tricky and is really icy. He said I would need 4x4 to get there. So I just banked it at ice house.
Needless to say, I am not sure a little pick up truck would make it. I left late to give the ice enoughtime to melt and at 9 the road was still icy. But again, this was all at the tail end of that cold spell we had, sothimgs may be different now.
Before you go, call the ranger station, they will have the most updated info on the road.

Treebeard
01-23-2013, 04:02 PM
Thanks, guys... but my trip is cancelled for now, the weather's getting too iffy for me to venture out - I'm borderline able in good conditions. When I do make it, will be sure to tell all about it here!

TB

CRABBY
01-23-2013, 04:28 PM
Thanks, guys... but my trip is cancelled for now, the weather's getting too iffy for me to venture out - I'm borderline able in good conditions. When I do make it, will be sure to tell all about it here!

TBHey Dan ya might wanna try Collins lake or Amador if your close to either one,Collins is full and Amador is a good challenge!The hi up places are getting real hard to get to for now!!!.....Don