PDA

View Full Version : Oroville Afterbay for Trout

Fisheries Advocate
01-27-2013, 07:33 AM
I have heard about the landlocked steelhead in the Forebay. Has anyone tried for them and with what rig and what areas to troll. Are there any of the Cohos that make it into the Forebay.

Maybe I am better off going to Oroville...

fishingfan
01-27-2013, 08:19 AM
I have heard about the landlocked steelhead in the Forebay. Has anyone tried for them and with what rig and what areas to troll. Are there any of the Cohos that make it into the Forebay.

Maybe I am better off going to Oroville...

I personally would fish the coho in the lake right now. Lots of them swimming around. I was there last week and had limits in about 45 minutes.

Good luck.

fishlipper
01-27-2013, 12:55 PM
I personally would fish the coho in the lake right now. Lots of them swimming around. I was there last week and had limits in about 45 minutes.

Good luck.
I hear that DWR is not planting coho anymore, instead they will be planting Kings and trout?Is this true?Cohos are the fiestiest tastiest thing out there, it would be a shame.

DannyM
01-28-2013, 04:57 AM
Trolled at Oroville last week for Coho's. Easy limits but the fish are still pretty small.

K-15
01-28-2013, 06:53 AM
Just a reminder, north side of 162 is 5 mph. max.,..no reason to ruin a day with a ticket.
Mike

Paul_707
01-28-2013, 07:11 AM
yeah no more coho plants in oroville, the ones there now are from the last plant

SalmonBuster
02-28-2013, 05:30 PM
Do I need a report card to fish for steelhead in the Afterbay? Also what is the limit for them?

IronClad
02-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Do I need a report card to fish for steelhead in the Afterbay? Also what is the limit for them?

No report card needed and the limit is 5. While they are leftover steelhead the afterbay is not an anadromous water way.

As per the regulations

"a steelhead trout is defined as any rainbow trout greater than 16 inches in length found in anadromous waters."

Happy fishing ! and good luck, I and a few friends have been fishing on wilbur road pretty hard and we see more swimming back and forth 2 feet off the bank looking to spawn than we catch.

SalmonBuster
02-28-2013, 06:11 PM
Thank's IronClad! I too plan on trying for them real soon. See you on the water. Dale

Racinrob
02-28-2013, 07:49 PM
There are trout and Steel in the Afterbay. The Steelhead are double fin clipped to tell the difference. Troll flashers and crawlers.

Chrome_Hunter
02-28-2013, 09:21 PM
Any good shore spots?

Jay R
03-01-2013, 09:10 AM
Happy fishing ! and good luck, I and a few friends have been fishing on wilbur road pretty hard and we see more swimming back and forth 2 feet off the bank looking to spawn than we catch.

Hay IronClad,
What's the size of the cruisers you see swimming along?

IronClad
03-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Hay IronClad,
What's the size of the cruisers you see swimming along?

I want to say in the 15 to 20 inch area or so.

Here is a stringer pic from a couple of weeks ago, they are about the size of the big one in the pic or bigger than it

http://i.imgur.com/i9sZ9FV.jpg

Jay R
03-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Thanks Ironclad...

joez3
03-06-2013, 07:17 AM
Is this also called the Thermalito Afterbay?

Racinrob
03-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Is this also called the Thermalito Afterbay?

Yes it is.

FresnoJack
03-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Anadromous waters?? Some fish species of fishes are anadromous. Waters are not.

Who writes these code sections?

[QUOTE=IronClad;910273
As per the regulations

"a steelhead trout is defined as any rainbow trout greater than 16 inches in length found in anadromous waters."

[/QUOTE]

IronClad
03-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Anadromous waters?? Some fish species of fishes are anadromous. Waters are not.

Who writes these code sections?

The terminology is correct.

Freshwater Sport Fishing Regulations - General Provisions and Definitions (http://dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish-Mar2013/ccr-t14-sec1_04-1_93.html)

"
1.04. Anadromous Waters.

Anadromous waters are inland waters that are accessible to fish migrating from the ocean.

"

Ive seen "waters" called that by many o different agencies including the fishing mecca alaska.

So according to that the afterbay is not an anadromous water way. The fish cannot make it up the outlet and there is a fish barrier at the hatchery. Plus past that there is another barrier/dam at the thermalito diversion pool if they some how made it up the fish ladder that is open only for a very short period. oh and there is a power plant in the way inbetween the afterbay and forebay.

While technically they are steelhead since they are leftover hatchery fish they go by trout rules due to the water type. Now! if they drop off through the outlet then they are in anadromous waters since that is accessible from the ocean and then they fall under the steelhead rules.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/204031/the-more-you-know-o.gif