PDA

View Full Version : Anybody guiding on Amador

Line Stretcher
01-30-2013, 01:27 PM
I got a call this morning from a guy that wanted me to take him to Amador. With just a couple of exceptions my gig is targeting lakes, rivers and streams with self sustaining fish populations. I've never considered a need for a guide on a heavily planted private lake/pond. Does anyone guide there?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm berateing Amador, I don't mean it that way. I'm just saying that I teach folks to fish where it's hard to catch fish and I never thought it would be very hard to catch a fish at Amador.

Jfitalia
01-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Well let me start by saying that just because a lake is stocked with fish it doesn't mean the fish are easy to catch. The perfect example of that right would be Amador. They are in the middle of their largest shad bloom ever and the fish are heavily focused on the shad. Most of the shad schools I have seen have been arounf the 10-15ft feet with some other schools in tight to shore.

The bite has been off and on for the myself and the other boaters. One day i'll boat 15 in just 2-3hrs and the next maybe 3 or 4. Most boaters that I see are averaging 1-3 fish every trip. I am have been using plastics and working slow in the morning and if I havent caught fish by 7:30 or 8am then I switched to spoons and raps and speed up to around 2.0 mph. I would try dropping a bait down to the bait balls as some of my friends have been getting fish deeper. I will be there next thursday and I will probably try spooning a few.

BIG_ONE
01-30-2013, 02:02 PM
Where is all these shad locating themselves? Docks? I'm not going to fish for trout in this scenario...LOL.

Lifted
01-30-2013, 02:44 PM
Where is all these shad locating themselves? Docks? I'm not going to fish for trout in this scenario...LOL.

When I was there two weekends ago I saw a bunch of shad bait balls throughout the day on the Carson arm. I noticed some roiling the surface 20yds off shore and others 2-10ft from shore, but both were pretty close to the surface since it was cold.

Jfitalia
01-30-2013, 03:06 PM

They're all over the freaking lake.

Line Stretcher
01-30-2013, 03:30 PM
Well let me start by saying that just because a lake is stocked with fish it doesn't mean the fish are easy to catch. The perfect example of that right would be Amador. They are in the middle of their largest shad bloom ever and the fish are heavily focused on the shad. Most of the shad schools I have seen have been arounf the 10-15ft feet with some other schools in tight to shore.

The bite has been off and on for the myself and the other boaters. One day i'll boat 15 in just 2-3hrs and the next maybe 3 or 4. Most boaters that I see are averaging 1-3 fish every trip. I am have been using plastics and working slow in the morning and if I havent caught fish by 7:30 or 8am then I switched to spoons and raps and speed up to around 2.0 mph. I would try dropping a bait down to the bait balls as some of my friends have been getting fish deeper. I will be there next thursday and I will probably try spooning a few.

Well then maybe it is a difficult lake to fish and I should take some interest in it. Thanks for the info.

CRABBY
01-30-2013, 03:46 PM
Well then maybe it is a difficult lake to fish and I should take some interest in it. Thanks for the info.Good luck my friend!!If you do well you will be a hero!!But then the naysayers will just say it was LUCK or the moon or something.LOL....:129fs238648:

Line Stretcher
01-30-2013, 04:36 PM
No problem, I'll just make sure I never fish it on a day the ends in "y".

schatgun
01-30-2013, 05:07 PM
I will be there next thursday and I will probably try spooning a few. Is Chrissy aware of this....LOL

No problem, I'll just make sure I never fish it on a day the ends in "y". You got that right....If your gonna make over the hill this far....go hit a nice productive & pretty lake....Like Melones, Pedro or McClure....

Line Stretcher
01-30-2013, 07:30 PM
Is Chrissy aware of this....LOL

You got that right....If your gonna make over the hill this far....go hit a nice productive & pretty lake....Like Melones, Pedro or McClure....

Ya know, that's sort of the way I was thinking when the guy called me. I'm kind of interested now though. It's just hard to justify the trip to Lodi + some when I can guarantee the same odds 1/2 hour away. I did mention Lake Sonoma as being a better option but (get this) he say's there's no fish in it. Of course I said, really, I didn't know that.:kermit:

All is well, I booked a client for the weekend and we're fishin nearby so I won't be goin to Amador right away.

BIG_ONE
01-30-2013, 08:51 PM
They're all over the freaking lake.

No they're not...at least not for bankers. And very specifically depending on the action of the shad, the depth, and everything else, will determine if it's worth going for my main target at Amador.
:kermit:

BIG_ONE
01-30-2013, 08:53 PM
When I was there two weekends ago I saw a bunch of shad bait balls throughout the day on the Carson arm. I noticed some roiling the surface 20yds off shore and others 2-10ft from shore, but both were pretty close to the surface since it was cold.

Hmm, a little more time...another month or two they should start making their way to the dock area. Then my Amador season will start for me. LOL.

CAL.NDN
01-30-2013, 09:32 PM
[QUOTE=pdgs;904519]Well then maybe it is a difficult lake to fish and I should take some interest in it. Thanks for the info.[/QUOT amador it seems is very hard lake for alot of people's but once ya get it down its like riding a bike pdgd :) me i have always loved and enjoyed catching the cutbows there and have epic days but dam steelhead bug wont let me go anywhere else right now :)

Line Stretcher
01-31-2013, 07:15 AM
[QUOTE=pdgs;904519]Well then maybe it is a difficult lake to fish and I should take some interest in it. Thanks for the info.[/QUOT amador it seems is very hard lake for alot of people's but once ya get it down its like riding a bike pdgd :) me i have always loved and enjoyed catching the cutbows there and have epic days but dam steelhead bug wont let me go anywhere else right now :)

Thanks my friend. Yeah the chrome bug has me too.

Knowing the area is what it's all about no matter where you fish. Your daily success stories are a fine example. I just can't take somebody out and charge them money based soley on my skills as a fisherman. I'd probably do o.k. but wouldn't be able to guarantee that I'd put them on the fish. Maybe I'll start fishing it later in the spring and add it to my list of places to go if I think it's worth the trek.

CAL.NDN
01-31-2013, 07:37 AM
Add thats a great thing.to be respected and admired in ya. Stickn with what ya know and keep.them smiling happy client lined up my friend.

Jfitalia
01-31-2013, 08:01 AM
No they're not...at least not for bankers. And very specifically depending on the action of the shad, the depth, and everything else, will determine if it's worth going for my main target at Amador.
:kermit:

if you haven't been there then how can you tell me i'm wrong. the Shad ARE all over the lake especially right up on shore. there are pods all over the lake.

Line Stretcher
01-31-2013, 11:41 AM
O.K. For those of you that are fishing Amador, based on what I've read in this thread only and not having actually fished it, I think you have all the information you need to get fish.

The water is cold, the trout being planted are shocked and those that are stabilized have slowed their metablosim down and are feeding only about once or twice a week. When they feed they'll not need much because the food is taking as much as two weeks to digest.

With as much shad as there is in the lake, I'd be looking for the bass under the bait balls. No bass, move on. The trout will probably only go after the left over stuff when the bass finish their attack. If you find a bait ball with bass under it then fish a bait under a bobber and let it fall naturally, no weight, just outside the bait ball.

The thing I try to remember is that if the bait fish are balled up it's usually because there are predators nearby. The baitfish that are wounded or stray from the protection of the ball are the ones that get hit. A spoon or lure that flashes and flutters past or near the ball would probably be effective also.

It's just a thought, I'm not saying it's gonna work.

CATKILLER
02-10-2013, 04:51 AM
I got a call this morning from a guy that wanted me to take him to Amador. With just a couple of exceptions my gig is targeting lakes, rivers and streams with self sustaining fish populations. I've never considered a need for a guide on a heavily planted private lake/pond. Does anyone guide there?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm berateing Amador, I don't mean it that way. I'm just saying that I teach folks to fish where it's hard to catch fish and I never thought it would be very hard to catch a fish at Amador.

PDGS Just saw a ad on the sniffer site for a guide that will do Amador
www.lunckerlarry.com (http://www.lunckerlarry.com) check it out.

CATKILLER :bananatiedie:

dabalone
02-10-2013, 11:28 AM
Uh Oh ..... INCOMING!

Marv
02-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Call me :smiley_crazy: but I would take guided trips every day. I don't have or want a boat, so a couple hundred for a guided trip with lunch, gas, launch fees, and knowledgeable guide is great deal.

Some guys know it all.... :bananatiedie:

CAL.NDN
02-10-2013, 04:13 PM
Yep dont hate the players hate the game.

Line Stretcher
02-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Humm, not sure what that was all about but here's some inside info.. Guides hire Guides because no one guide can know everything about every good fishing spot.

The last thing any fisherman wants to do is spend a lot of money getting somewhere special and then find out on the last day that you were fishing it all wrong.

CAL.NDN
02-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Thats definitely real.smart thinking pdgs imo. Always good to no someone who knows something or somebody hire someone to learn makes trips way more fun and successful.