PDA

View Full Version : Boat Safety Question

hanahou7
02-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Hi Guys,

This is not technically "trout" related, but I had a question about boat safety and figured you all could be some great help!

I picked up a 12' x 3.5' Jon Boat (flat bottom) back in October and use it for duck hunting in sloughs and at places like Don Edwards and Napa-Sonoma Marshes. It's outfitted with a 5hp 4-stroke and can support 2 guys w/gear.

I was hoping to use it to do some lake fishing with the boat, but I had some concerns about safety. My dad doesn't think it would be sturdy enough, but from my experiences with it this past duck season, I think it could be fine.

What do you guys advise? Do you think it would be safe enough to take to somewhere like Pardee, Amador and Caples? What about bigger lakes, such as New Melones and Berryessa? Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! Keep your lines tight ;)

salmonid
02-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Flat bottom boats aren't necessarily good or bad...

Depends on the bow, how much does it arc over the water?

And on the sides, how high are they?

Maybe post a pic of your boat or one like it.

Best,

hanahou7
02-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the reply. I am not sure how much it arcs over the water to be honest.

The sides are maybe 12" clearance to the water w/ people and gear in it (?)

Here is a picture; the guy in the boat is about 6'2" and 200 lbs

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/555292_10200302472550059_716766412_n.jpg

hanahou7
02-06-2013, 12:17 PM
I'll try and get more pictures uploaded for better reference.

salmonid
02-06-2013, 12:19 PM
OK, read your post again and see the pic.

12 x 3.5 feet is kinda on the small side! I wouldn't take it to a big lake like Berry, those ski boats throw off a good sized wake!

Maybe OK on a small lake without much traffic tho.

The bow is gonna be weighed down with another guy also, and if you are pointing into waves, you'll likely take some water in.

Best,

sutterduckhunter
02-06-2013, 12:25 PM
I think you would be fine at a bigger lake, just stay in the 5 mph zones. You don't want to mix it up with a big wakeboat...

hanahou7
02-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the advice guys! Do you think wind would be a huge issue? I was planning to stay close to the shoreline and avoid open waters and mostly fish coves and points, but if I wanted to try trolling and it got a bit windy, do you think that would be fine? Given that I avoid the wakes and heavy traffic areas?

dabalone
02-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the advice guys! Do you think wind would be a huge issue? I was planning to stay close to the shoreline and avoid open waters and mostly fish coves and points, but if I wanted to try trolling and it got a bit windy, do you think that would be fine? Given that I avoid the wakes and heavy traffic areas?

Good judgement on weather conditions a little common sense and good life jacket, you should be fine. But its up to you to know your boats limitations.

Bainter1212
02-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Is that the boat I sold a few months ago???? LOL it might be. Any way I took mine out on Caples, Hogan and it did just fine. Stay away from big wakes and rough water and you'll be fine. Wear a lifejacket.

hanahou7
02-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the advice! I picked this one up in Los Gatos, CA back in October, so I don't think it is the one you sold, but it sure is a nice little boat, and I am sure the one you sold was as well! haha

Midnight Krawler
02-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Why chance it out there in the big lakes when there are many small lakes around the bay area that your boat would be perfect for. Many of them are electric only which makes for a nice quite day of fishing. It really doesn't matter which lake you fish, they all stock the same trout.

hanahou7
02-07-2013, 08:22 AM
Yea, I'd definitely try and go to some local lakes but I don't have an electric trolling motor, just the 5hp 4-stroke. Definitely gotta look into getting an electric motor at some point.

iggybabble
02-08-2013, 06:22 PM
just like other lakes and other boats......pick your days, and consider fishing close to a lee shore where you can seek refuge if the wind kicks up too much.

wearegods1
02-09-2013, 10:51 PM
I've seen float tubes in the middle of the big water at Berryessa. As long as you are wearing a life jacket, any boat is safe. Just might not be very comfortable. For my 2 cents, get out there and catch some fish!!!!!!!!!! Just check out the regs because still gonna need all the required gear and not much room to put it.

tinytrout
02-13-2013, 05:48 PM
I had a Coleman crawdad 10 foot with 6horse plastic. We fished many mountain lakes. Hell hole, Eagle, Bucks. It was fun but when the wind would come up and the lake would turn into an ocean it would get scary. I guess what I am trying to say is that I am sure we dodged a bullet or two in the time we had it. Just be careful out there.
Tiny

FISHERPRICE
02-14-2013, 08:07 AM
Hi Guys,

This is not technically "trout" related, but I had a question about boat safety and figured you all could be some great help!

I picked up a 12' x 3.5' Jon Boat (flat bottom) back in October and use it for duck hunting in sloughs and at places like Don Edwards and Napa-Sonoma Marshes. It's outfitted with a 5hp 4-stroke and can support 2 guys w/gear.

I was hoping to use it to do some lake fishing with the boat, but I had some concerns about safety. My dad doesn't think it would be sturdy enough, but from my experiences with it this past duck season, I think it could be fine.

What do you guys advise? Do you think it would be safe enough to take to somewhere like Pardee, Amador and Caples? What about bigger lakes, such as New Melones and Berryessa? Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! Keep your lines tight ;)

I had one about 15 years ago and used it at all lakes in eldorado county. The only one I had problems in was Folsom . Mostly boats scraming buy with large wake and a couple times mixed with the wake and winds. Another words my experiance was the lakes without large amounts of skiers and not as prone to high chop from winds it worked bad ass. Your choice, be safe and catch hella fish.

hanahou7
02-14-2013, 10:49 AM
Thanks for all the advice everyone, it's been super helpful.

I am hoping to take it out soon. I have a couple rod holders that should come in tomorrow, so I can mount those and be ready to go!

Good luck to everyone out there.

Bloodthirsty
02-14-2013, 11:49 AM
Sounds like you already got all the good advice. My 2 cents - Sturdiness will not be that big of concern. The wind blowing you all over will be difficult due to the flat bottom. Also the flat bottom makes all waves tiny or huge even bigger. V hull is designed to help the boat steer in the wind and cut through the waves. You'll be fine. Post some pics of your fish.

hanahou7
03-11-2013, 12:41 PM
So I took the boat to Pardee this past Sunday. No fish to show for 6 hours of fishing, though I didn't see much action from anyone else, and the other boaters were all searching for fish like my Dad and me.

Anyways, the boat handled fine. It was good weather with clear skies and a high speed of maybe 5mph winds, so the waves weren't too big. Wakes from other boats weren't really an issue and we were able to fly pretty quick w/ the 5hp motor.

Overall, it was a good experience. I gained a lot of knowledge about the limitations of my boat, and hopefully I can have fish pictures to share next time! Thank you to everyone who gave their input!

dabalone
03-11-2013, 01:25 PM
So I took the boat to Pardee this past Sunday. No fish to show for 6 hours of fishing, though I didn't see much action from anyone else, and the other boaters were all searching for fish like my Dad and me.

Anyways, the boat handled fine. It was good weather with clear skies and a high speed of maybe 5mph winds, so the waves weren't too big. Wakes from other boats weren't really an issue and we were able to fly pretty quick w/ the 5hp motor.

Overall, it was a good experience. I gained a lot of knowledge about the limitations of my boat, and hopefully I can have fish pictures to share next time! Thank you to everyone who gave their input!

Follow a few basic safety guidelines and get it out and use it, best way by far to learn your boats limitations, one trip is worth a thousand words of advice. Sorry you didn't catch the fish but if a son and his dad gets out fishing together its all good anyway.

iggybabble
03-13-2013, 08:51 AM
on a little, lightweight boat like this, dont be afraid to beach it if required to wait out the wind......consider buying a couple dry bags so youve got extra warm, dry clothes. we all love to fish, and most of us dont get enough fishing time, but dont hesitate to either cut a day short, or even cancel at the launch ramp if weather seems really bad. at both Eagle and Berryessa ive had to alter fishing plans when weather has kicked up.......

hanahou7
03-13-2013, 09:01 AM
Yea, most definitely. Safety is #1. I actually changed fishing plans this weekend because San Pablo is expected to have high winds. Thanks for the words of advice Iggy!