PDA

View Full Version : DON`T EAT THE STRIPERS

tripper
07-02-2006, 11:09 AM
While fishing coyote point I noticed dead stripers floating about. Turns out there`s been a big fish kill in the bay and the reason is unkown.

Untill we find out the reason why, I wouldn`t eat any fish from the bay. It`s not just stripers but dead sturgeon also.

http://www.smdailyjournal.com/article_preview.php?id=60847

keciga1
07-02-2006, 02:27 PM
That's crazy. I fished all those areas mentioned, but not recently. Keep us posted and thanks for the warning.

cptfishalot
07-02-2006, 02:40 PM
It`s not just stripers but dead sturgeon also

They didn't say anything about Halibut.......Whew !!!
But it does make you wonder.

Thanks for the warning and if you hear anything else, please shout...
Thanks amigo

Seamore
07-02-2006, 04:25 PM
It would be my guess that with the hot striper action lately that many undersized stipers got thown back and died. I was in the south bay last week-end and noticed fish floating around, but they where all 12-16". stripers give it their all when hooked and it is very commen for them to die after released. Just one okies opinion.

piemel
07-02-2006, 10:32 PM
It would be my guess that with the hot striper action lately that many undersized stipers got thown back and died. I was in the south bay last week-end and noticed fish floating around, but they where all 12-16". stripers give it their all when hooked and it is very commen for them to die after released. Just one okies opinion.

i doubt it... in that case we would have seen plenty of dead stripers in other places as well

Rusty_Hooks
07-03-2006, 04:03 PM

Juvenile fish tend to stay close to cover and in river or creek estuarys. More than likely some idiot in the south bay was trying to off some byproduct chemicals....or spilled some.

Some of the chemicals used in hardware production are downright lethal....lets all hope it wasn't something persistant

keep an eye on the bay toward the gate and see if reports come up for fish kills...the bay cycle flushes out to the ocean...

It could have been bacterial as well. :-/

tripper
07-03-2006, 05:20 PM
'More than likely some idiot in the south bay was trying to off some byproduct chemicals....or spilled some.'!!!!!!!!!!

Thats what I'm afraid of. Hence the warning.

DFG said there was no visible signs of any biological condition so your senerio of a shallow chemical dumping would make some sence.
Other fish could be contaminated but not to the point of death, they could still have adverse effect if eaten.
I'm not trying to scare people who have eaten fish but I think it might be wise not to dine on any Bay fish till we know the cause.

Since the DFG has guidlines on eating the fish in the bay I'm really suprised they haven't put out a memo on this..
I'll be calling them for an update, they should have some results this week..

keciga1
07-03-2006, 05:37 PM
I have heard once of a guy that was dumping a mixture of water and sugar out of a tanker from one of the soda factories out into a gutter that ran into the bay and was caught by the chp. He recived a huge fine and did some time in jail. They also took away his commercial licence. All though this was not a hazmat material, the DFG and CHP are very strict and for a reason. I bet that taught him a lesson. I hope they get to the bottom of this. Did they mention any dead seals?LOL ;D

cptfishalot
07-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Here'a an update if you can call it that. I saw this report today Wednesday the 5th of July

http://cbs5.com/topstories/local_story_186225658.html

keciga1
07-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Wonder how long it will take them to figure it out?

cptfishalot
07-06-2006, 08:45 AM
I was thinking about that this morning, they called it "The Red Tide" it was large and it was out there for a couple of days.....
Some say that kind of thing depletes the oxygen in the water????

One of the interseting things is that I haven't heard of any Halibut showing up dead........????????????

Keep me posted *

mike22ca
07-06-2006, 09:53 AM
I was thinking the same thing myself...we're not hearing about any halibut dying [smiley=question.gif] [smiley=question.gif] [smiley=question.gif] [smiley=question.gif]

rgp58
07-06-2006, 10:43 AM
I was thinking about that this morning, they called it "The Red Tide" it was large and it was out there for a couple of days.....
Some say that kind of thing depletes the oxygen in the water????

One of the interseting things is that I haven't heard of any Halibut showing up dead........????????????

Keep me posted *

On the 20th of June, I was on a boat with others trolling for Halibut between oyster pt and candlestick pt. *We were trying to troll around the red junk while staying on the dropoff... We caught a halibut while going through the red stuff on one of the passes. *It tasted great.

just_kidding
07-06-2006, 06:03 PM
They reported the red tide on the local news stations a few weeks or so ago. I do not remeber the date. I thought that it would go away. Sucks though. Maybe all of the freshwater in the bay is causing it?

blue_chrush
07-07-2006, 11:17 PM
as for the huge die off.....
my money is on the army corp of engineers,
as they were dumping dredged up spoils in the bay
for the last month or so....and the toxins in the mud
that had been buried and dug up and re-released into
the water have killed off the oxygen and released hazards
back into the water only to kill off the sensitive fish life...

just my 2cents

gmdcdvm
07-08-2006, 06:26 AM
"At this point it's safe to say we've seen nothing out there, no observable oil spills of any type, so it doesn't look like it's human-caused," he said. "It's probably a natural phenomenon that happens occasionally in the bays and waterways. At this point it's hard to say what it is."

I like how they think it might be a natural phenomenon. I'm not saying its not possible, but it seems a little strange so many different species would be affected. Oh well, hope they figure it out and stop whatever it may be.
Gerry

cptfishalot
07-26-2006, 02:27 PM
While fishing coyote point I noticed dead stripers floating about. Turns out there`s been a big fish kill in the bay and the reason is unkown.

Update.....

http://cbs5.com/topstories/local_story_207162722.html

timetofish
07-27-2006, 12:00 PM
Looks like WA/OR are having a little problem of their own:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003155114_deadzone27m.html