PDA

View Full Version : Bolinas leopard sharks!! Its time!

vito
06-07-2006, 12:11 PM
I know a few folks out there wanted to plan a trip to bank fish for sharks. Lets go!! Now is the time. I can go June 14th, 22nd, 24th or 25th, or 29th. Know Excuses, Krazyfishrmn... I know you wanted to go. Anyone else? Beautiful drive, mello location, just sit on the beach and watch your pole go nuts. Good for a day trip with the family too. Maybe we could caravan with a few folks and make it a day.

krzyfshrmn
06-07-2006, 04:47 PM
I still want in Vito, the 24th or 25th would probably work best for me. Maybe an overnighter with the familys would be fun :-/

vito
06-07-2006, 05:12 PM
That might work. Overnight is a problem though. There is only one hotel in town. Camping on the beach is prohibited on weekends and the sheriffs patrol it strictly. It used to be the coolest place to camp! I was thinking about a day trip, but I'm flexible. We would have to drive to Stinson Beach or back to Samuel Johnson State park to camp. Thats about 45 minutes from Bolinas.

krzyfshrmn
06-07-2006, 05:17 PM
Was just a thought.....I figured if there were a campground or two within a short drive it might be a good idea.Gotta try and keep the wives and kids happy too.

Know_Excuses
06-07-2006, 07:24 PM
I'm down for the 25th ;D ;DI'm on kid duty the 24th.Its my b-day present to the wife.I watch the kids and she goes shopping with her freinds ;D

FishnRN
06-07-2006, 08:19 PM
When you boys decide on a date, keep it posted up so we can see it. That definately sounds like a good time. I work that weekend but, uhuh- uhuh, I feel a little something comin on! ;)
-Ben

Hey KE, when we gonna go slay some kitty kats? You gonna buy that aluminum boat or what? You like that old stuff don't you? Take er' easy,
-Ben

Know_Excuses
06-07-2006, 08:24 PM
LOL I am a fan of the classics ;D Nah I am not gonna get that aluminum.I think I will get a fiberglass instead.As soon as minor heats up the kittys will go crazy and I will let ya know ;D Shouldnt be much longer.

vito
06-09-2006, 10:13 AM
Ok we'll keep in touch. I'm leaning towards the 25th as well. The night of the 24th I have somewhere to be, and I can't be late. We could leave early Sunday, spend the day and be back by 5 or 6 pm.

FishnRN
06-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Sounds like a good time! I'll have to more info from you guys re: tackle, etc.
-Ben

keciga1
06-09-2006, 10:58 AM
I'll probably go on the 25th. I'll let you guys know on Monday.

vito
06-09-2006, 12:37 PM
Basically you need a salmon size rod and casting reel. 20 lb test or larger. Some 4 or 6 oz weights. large barrel and snap swivels and some salmon heads for bait. I know of a place in West sac that sells them, or someitmes you can get them at yur local grocery store.

krzyfshrmn
06-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Which side of the lagoon is best Vito, the coast side or along side of 1??

keciga1
06-10-2006, 07:46 PM
I'm in. Will be bringing the wife and kids. I'll probably be going on a salmon trip at the end of this week coming up and ill save the salmon heads. What time is everyone going to be out there on the 25th?

FishnRN
06-10-2006, 07:51 PM
Hey there Keciga, if you're going on a charter boat, see if you can't round up a few extra salmon heads???
Good luck on your trip!
-Ben

keciga1
06-10-2006, 09:48 PM
No problem, I'll ask the deckhand if he can spare a few.

vito
06-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Looks like this trip might just happen. We will fish the estuary mouth on the Bolinas side. Slack tide is best. There are tons of sharks in the area.

Know_Excuses
06-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Sweet I cant wait ;D ;D

keciga1
06-15-2006, 05:51 PM
Went out today for salmon. I got those salmon heads that you guys requested. The deckhand gave me about 4-5 of them plus my 2. Also got 3 backbones with decent meet on them just in case.

vito
06-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Ok kids - time to start counting your salmon heads. I bought 2 at safeway yesterday. We are going to need at least three per person (rod)- depending on size.

keciga1
06-19-2006, 08:26 AM
You are cutting the head in pieces right? Will the rest of the skeleton work also? When is everyone going to be there on Sunday?

vito
06-19-2006, 09:24 AM
Good job on the salmon heads. I just cut a chunk of head meat off the back of the head, about the size of a pack of gum. The head meat has cartiledge marbled through it - which prevents it from breaking apart and holds it on the hook longer. I was hoping to fill up my truck ( holds 4 or 5 people, and my family probably isn't going). I can give anyone that wants to drive directions. I hope to leave Roseville by 5am.

vito
06-19-2006, 11:35 AM
Wifey just called - She and my daughter decided to go.

FishnRN
06-19-2006, 08:39 PM
I'm supposed to work Saturday and Sunday night, but I'm still trying to talk the "W" into letting me call in sick, we'll see what happens? I really want to be able to go. Where the heck is this place anyway? I'll be driving from Ripon which is just north of Modesto, I'm gonna assume we're heading to Bolinas- wherever that is??

-Ben

vito
06-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Bolinas is directly north of Stinson Beach. To get there take hwy 80 west, hwy 37 west, hwy 101 south, exit 4th street in San Rafael, this turns into Sir Francis Drake Blvd, turn left in Olema, follow this road until you get to bolinas estuary, turn right at the estuary, folow this road into Bolinas, turn left at the end of the road and drive west until you see the beach.

Allen
06-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Sounds good Vito. Thanks for the directions.

What size hooks, leader etc. do you use? I assume a good steel braided sturgeon setup may be good?

Also, what other bait is good besides salmon for those of us w/o?

Thanks

Allen

vito
06-21-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm usually use 20 lb big game - because of the currents, with a 5 or 6 oz triangle weight. 18 inch steel leader. Sliding sinker set up. I normally don't use the premade sturgie leaders - because I like to change the hooks. I normally run a treble hook, about the size that comes on a kwikfish. Before the shark huggers start crying about that - I have never caught any leopard shark anywhere other than the mouth. *They like to chew on the bait and that is when I hook 'em. As for alternative baits - here is the deal. Many people use squid or dines, or makerel etc in other bodies of water. I have been fishing sharks at Bolinas for about 5 years and the first two years I didn't hook any. A local told me the problem was my bait. He told me to go to the local store there and buy a salmon head and use the head meat. I did and *caught three within an hour later. I guess that is just what they like to eat there. Duxbury isn't far away, and the local fishermen are catching salmon and throwing the parts in the water around there, so maybe that is the key. If you are going - try to find some heads. I got mine at Bel Air. They are selling whole salmon right now. If not try Albertsons.

I haven't had any solid confirmations of those going so I'll add some more information for those who are wanting to just meet there.

I, my wife, daughter, and best friend will be going in my truck. Radio, ice chest, beach umbrella, lawn chairs. Some other friends are going to follow us.

When taking 4th street in San rafael - just stay on that road. It eventually will become Sir Francis Drake Blvd - no turns. From San Rafael to Olema is about a 45 minute drive. When You get into Olema the directions are easy. The road dead ends and you have to turn right or left - go left. This road winds through the forests and foothills for about 30 minutes. As you get to the estuary you will see that the road comes to a large Y. Stay to the right. This road will lead you into Bolinas. It too dead ends. You need to make a left here. When you get into Bolinas parking is minimal. The road you are on will dead end into the beach. There is a very narrow turn around there, but it is best if you find a place to park before you get that far. Park on the right hand side of the raod - as close to the wall as you can.

Hope to see a few folks out there.

Allen
06-22-2006, 08:24 AM
Thanks for all the details Vito.

If I can talk the family into going we may see you.

Thanks

Allen

keciga1
06-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Looks like about a 1 and 1/2 - 2 hr drive from the east bay. Hope it's worth it. :) Is it a long walk down the beach Vito?

FishnRN
06-23-2006, 12:12 AM
Looks like about a 1 and 1/2 - 2 hr drive from the east bay. Hope it's worth it. :) Is it a long walk down the beach Vito?

If you have family, good friends or new friends it will be worth it whether or not the fish are biting! ;)

I worked a 20 hour shift yesterday so 8 of them were double time-woohoo, I think the "W" isn't gonna have a problem with me coming down ill this weekend. Hope to see you guys out there!

-Ben

keciga1
06-23-2006, 12:59 AM
FishnRN, you are right with all the people coming it will be worth it. Always good to meet fellow sniffers.

vito
06-23-2006, 10:08 AM
It is a very short walk to the Beach. Maybe 100 yards - depending on where you park. I went crabbing yesterday and There is a race at Infinion/Sears Point this weekend. For those of you poor souls that have to take Hwy 37 - Leave early.

kromebrite
06-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Been anxiously watching this thread......any reports??

"shark huggers", that's a good one ;D ;D ;D

vito
06-26-2006, 12:39 PM
Well kromebrite - we had to take a rain check on this trip. The majority of those going couldn't make it. I waited until saturday night to make my decision. Heat + race at Sears point + only one other person going = postpone. I will be going soon though. The good news is that I have my salmon heads in the freezer and the shark fishing is good there almost all summer. I hope some other sniffers will be interested in going in July.

sava
06-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Are you fishing from the boats?
If I do not have a boat do I have any chance to catch any kind of fish north of SF? If so where and how?
You are the best ;)

kromebrite
06-26-2006, 01:26 PM
Be great if you post the next time you all head over there, sounds like a good time. July weekends are opening up for me. 8-)

FishnRN
06-26-2006, 02:23 PM
Hey Vito, sorry you had to postpone. It wasn't that I didn't want to go, but I'm not the only one who decides what I want to do ;D I even tried to talk the "W" into inviting one of her girlfriends to go shopping or something out there, it just wasn't gonna happen. Oh' well, hopefully next time. Keep me posted,
-Ben

vito
06-26-2006, 02:28 PM
Ya - just didn't work out. There will be other opportunities though. I was listening to the radio at lunch today and it probably is a good thing we didn't go. I guess the traffic on Hwy 37 was really bad on Sunday because of the race. I love fishing but I hate traffic!

Sava, we were going to fish from the bank and directions are in this thread.

sava
06-29-2006, 04:14 PM
Thank you Vito.
I'm going. ;)

wrk_horse
07-26-2006, 03:55 PM
We followed your directions sunday. Mainly to cool off. We also live in roseville.
We didnt fish. But that is a great spot to "kick back"
Thanks for the directions. 8-)