PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Pork shoulder

Steve079
02-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Had a 10lb hunk of Pork shoulder, no better way to serve it, then smoked and slow cooked
First thing, I cut the piece in half. More surface area for the rub and smoke to penetrate.
I leave the fat on, apply a generous coat of yellow mustard, then rub with my home made rub, the night before the smoke fest.

Rub is: non iodized salt. granualted garlic powder, onion powder, season salt, Cayenne pepper and brown sugar, I run it through a coffee grinder to blend, then store it in a pint mason jar. I use about a 1/3 cup of the first 4 ingredients, 2 tsps Cayenne, and 2/3 cup of the brown sugar.

As discussed in previous threads, cold weather can be a challenge to smoking meats. I use my cabinet style propane smoker, but I use about 1/2 chimney of briquets, in lieu of the propane.
I like to run the smoker about 175-180 degrees for about 2 hours, but with the outdoor temps in the high 30's, it's closer to 150, so I will finish the pork in the oven, so I can maintain the higher temp needed to break down the pork so it can be shredded

Got Smoke.
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z100/skhardwoods/Barrel%20101/IMG_3693_zps3c6e23fb.jpg

I used big chunks of oak for this. Easier to control burn rate in this smoker. Can you see it???

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z100/skhardwoods/Barrel%20101/IMG_3694_zps2ac25a06.jpg

Out of the smoker, ready to go. I wrap them in foil, and into the roasting pan. If you can fit your shoulder into a dutch oven with a lid, you can skip the foil.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z100/skhardwoods/Barrel%20101/IMG_36951_zps0848c241.jpg

My work here is done for now. Oven at 300 degrees, 5-6 hours until it reaches 195. It will then shred easily with a fork. Tonight we'll serve it with tortilla's, and home made Guacamole, and Salsa, and a few ice cold Blue Moon's. Stay tuned!

Steve079
02-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Couple hours in the smoker, then 51/2-6 hrs in a 300 degree oven, wrapped in foil, and they are done. I'm going to shred one tonight for the tacos, and leave one intact for pulled pork sandwiches tomorrow.
Open the wrapper, here it is.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z100/skhardwoods/Barrel%20101/IMG_3696_zps3ce41c05.jpg

Couple of minutes with the forks, and you have this. I like to leave the remnants of the fat cap in there to mix with the meat. Use your left over rub to season the meat to your individual taste. I add a little water, and cover it with foil. Reduce the oven heat to 200 degree's, until your ready to serve. You can see the bits of pink meat, that is the smoke ring that forms on the outer layer.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z100/skhardwoods/Barrel%20101/IMG_3697_zpsf6f0447e.jpg

The Salsa I made up around noon, the flavors have blended, and its good to go. It tastes like my wifes favorite artisan salsa she gets from our local market. She loves it!
We got some Salsa and chips, and a veggie tray on for appetizers. The kids are coming over. We'll be serving up some tacos soon, my wife just finished our Guacamole dip. I admit, I'm pretty hungry.

CRABBY
02-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Great Steve,an ya made us all hungry,an jealous!!!!.....:thumbsup:

salmonid
02-09-2013, 06:23 PM
That's looking pretty awesome, Steve!

Is the meat from a pig you shot or just the farm-raised variety? I have only smoked fish in my smoker, but I think I'll do some pork soon because of your post. Your step by step directions make it look like I can do it.

Thanks!

Steve079
02-09-2013, 07:18 PM
It's store bought. Pork and chicken are at a good price right now. Chicken quarters are .58 cents a pound. These are great for smoking. The dark meat really lends itself to the process. Same rub works for the chicken, and chicken tacos are the bomb!
Using your smoker for just the two hours and finishing in the oven, makes it so much simpler. I think you will find it pretty easy. None of the timing is really critical, the pork is cooked at such low heat, you can't really overcook it, and its done when you can split it with a fork. Smaller roasts, less time. If you have a meat Thermometer, give it the fork test at 195. Easy.

The final result.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z100/skhardwoods/Barrel%20101/2959e483-3930-4ad1-b07e-d21c492ed2a8_zps10283ed6.jpg

A little cheese, fresh cilantro, home made salsa , Guacamole, sour cream, and fresh tomato. I ate one on a flour, one on a corn tortilla. Damn, forgot the beer.

CAL.NDN
02-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Looks delicious to say the least. I love that smoker got one myself plus a couple charcoal smokers

salmonid
02-09-2013, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the insight, Steve! It looks delicious...

Best,

CATKILLER
02-10-2013, 04:23 AM
It's store bought. Pork and chicken are at a good price right now. Chicken quarters are .58 cents a pound. These are great for smoking. The dark meat really lends itself to the process. Same rub works for the chicken, and chicken tacos are the bomb!
Using your smoker for just the two hours and finishing in the oven, makes it so much simpler. I think you will find it pretty easy. None of the timing is really critical, the pork is cooked at such low heat, you can't really overcook it, and its done when you can split it with a fork. Smaller roasts, less time. If you have a meat Thermometer, give it the fork test at 195. Easy.

The final result.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z100/skhardwoods/Barrel%20101/2959e483-3930-4ad1-b07e-d21c492ed2a8_zps10283ed6.jpg

A little cheese, fresh cilantro, home made salsa , Guacamole, sour cream, and fresh tomato. I ate one on a flour, one on a corn tortilla. Damn, forgot the beer.

Thanks Steve a great post. So good and easy to do,have you tryed any fruit woods with the pork?

Catkiller :bananatiedie:

Steve079
02-10-2013, 02:35 PM
If I could only have one wood to smoke with, I'd choose apple. Very mild. Alder is good too. Oak is a bit stronger, but I was out of Apple.
I would start with apple, then once you get the amount of smoke you like, try it with a couple other woods to see how the taste changes.
I've found that Hiclory and Mesquite are just too strong for my taste, and I smoke for a bit less time with oak.
The pork got a steady 2 hours of oak smoke, gave it nice flavor. Most of the smoke went into the fat cap, (which I did not trim off), so you can use all, some or none of it, as your taste dictates..
The shoulder right out of the smoker needed more seasoning, my rub is light on salt, but that's just my preference. You can always add more salt, can't take a too salty flavor away though.

Last, those bags of near fist size hunks are about perfect. If they burst into flames, then you need to choke down the air supply, if that's not enough, then you can soak them. When using that size, you'll have to monitor the smoke, and add to it to get the smoke time you desire.

Good luck! Pork shoulder is an excellent meat to start with. Cheap, available and easy to work with.

Jetspray
02-17-2013, 07:39 AM
That smoker is similar to mine, but mine is gas. That is a great looking recipe for smoking and you took time to make sure it is right. Usually I need a couple of beers while watching the temperature gauges and time...........Jetspray

FolsomFishing
02-17-2013, 07:55 AM
Wow that looks good! Time to break out the smoker this weekend, thanks for motivating me

Steve079
02-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Sorry Jetspray.... I meant to post back sooner. Mine is a gas unit too, you can see the supply line in one of the pics's

I just put lit briquets in the round chip pan. then put the smoke wood on top of that. the whole idea is to get the smoke into the meat, and let the oven finish it off. No gas assist!

Jetspray
02-18-2013, 05:47 AM
Sorry Jetspray.... I meant to post back sooner. Mine is a gas unit too, you can see the supply line in one of the pics's

I just put lit briquets in the round chip pan. then put the smoke wood on top of that. the whole idea is to get the smoke into the meat, and let the oven finish it off. No gas assist!

The round pan in mine is for water/spiced-scented, below that is a wood chip box. I use portable temp guages for both the meat and the interior temp of the smoker. Mine is also stainless. I also have a new braumfels linear one that I use for other things I smoke when we have family gatherings and we work another gas grill when that goes on. Three guys cooking at once with people all around waiting for the food:dancingorange:........Jetspray

Steve079
02-18-2013, 06:07 AM
The pan above the burner in mine, has a round section for the chips, and the surrounding square is for the liquid. Never gets hot enough to ignite the chips, unless the burner is in high, and then it gets way to hot.
I've never used the water pan to control temp, always used controlling air flow for that, but my smoker is a cheap one, and is just tough to regulate. I've learned to work with what Ive got.

Take care, say hi to the Capt, for me!

Jetspray
02-18-2013, 06:22 AM
The pan above the burner in mine, has a round section for the chips, and the surrounding square is for the liquid. Never gets hot enough to ignite the chips, unless the burner is in high, and then it gets way to hot.
I've never used the water pan to control temp, always used controlling air flow for that, but my smoker is a cheap one, and is just tough to regulate. I've learned to work with what Ive got.

Take care, say hi to the Capt, for me!

He went south to visit his son, won't be back for a couple of days. Just hope he doesn't get bad weather on the way back. I use the water bowl in mine to add in spices and fruits like lemon orange and such (aeromatics). The moisture in the box keeps the meats from drying out too much and you can add chips to the liquid to put in the box as you go. I'm just sayin'........Jetspray

Steve079
02-18-2013, 05:53 PM
Yeah, you can do this and you can do that, but, once you hit on a successful (family likes it) formula, you stick with it. I'm not saying there is no room for improvement, but, if it's not broke....

I don't know if you've noticed it, but as some of us get older, we are more reluctant to change, right Dave???

Take care.

Jetspray
02-19-2013, 07:36 AM
Yeah, you can do this and you can do that, but, once you hit on a successful (family likes it) formula, you stick with it. I'm not saying there is no room for improvement, but, if it's not broke....

I don't know if you've noticed it, but as some of us get older, we are more reluctant to change, right Dave???

Take care.

The only change you have is in your pocket, and lately it has been so cold here that Democrats have to keep their hands in their own pockets:mat::innoc9dj:........Jetspray

stonesfan
04-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Great looking Taco's Steve, and Dave ( jetspray ) Only a couple of Beers........:oregonian_winesmile

Stoney:rollingstones:

cptdarel
04-25-2013, 12:37 PM
nice Steve...........looks good

stonesfan
05-20-2013, 06:42 AM
We will be trying out your Recipe next week.............................................. :oregonian_winesmile

Double_D
05-21-2013, 06:10 PM
That looks real good, might have to give it a try, thanks for sharing your recipe

GNappers
09-24-2013, 08:56 PM
This is why I try not to watch cooking shows. I could be full then watch something like this and be hungry. Great recipe. If I get into pig hunting I will try this out. Cooked a 13 pound haunch in the oven for 13 hours on slow heat made incredible pulled pork.