PDA

View Full Version : Its almost SHAD SEASON!

LURKER916
02-13-2013, 01:02 PM
Are we getting a shad board or are we just doing the annual shad thread?

If so lets get er started!

under two months...........:dancingorange::dancingorange::da ncingorange::dancingorange::dancingorange::dancing orange::dancingorange:

49erbassman
02-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Shad will be another first for me this year. I realized my addiction to bass had me missing out on some good fishing.

What type of rod and reel set up do you use for shad Matt?

Sent from my iPhone

theneo08
02-13-2013, 04:04 PM
Can't wait for shaaaddddd time! Last year they were in the AR end of march/ early April

Sent when I should be fishing and not on Tapatalk 2

Line Stretcher
02-13-2013, 04:22 PM
Now there's a challenging fish to catch. I pretty much gear up for trout after Steelhead season and just blow off the Shad. My local river can get loaded up with them though. Maybe it's time to give it a shot.

salmonid
02-13-2013, 04:34 PM
What do you guys do with the SHAD? Use for sturgeon or crab bait or feed it to your mother in laws? LOL

CRABBY
02-13-2013, 05:04 PM
What do you guys do with the SHAD? Use for sturgeon or crab bait or feed it to your mother in laws? LOLSome of these guys actually eat em bones an all.LOL....:wink:

CDK
02-13-2013, 05:07 PM
What do you guys do with the SHAD? Use for sturgeon or crab bait or feed it to your mother in laws? LOL
Serve smoked with crackers and cold beer of your choice.
Watch the game.:cheers1:

49erbassman
02-13-2013, 05:09 PM
I just want to catch them and release em. I have heard of 30-40 fish days and like the sound of that!

Sent from my iPhone

salmonid
02-13-2013, 05:41 PM
OK, where I'm from nobody eats them. Just use it for bait. I never tried them myself.

But the little buggers are fun to catch.

Anyone know how far they come up the Sac river? Do they go past the AR and feather?

Some of these guys actually eat em bones an all.LOL....:wink:

49erbassman
02-13-2013, 05:48 PM
Yup AR and feather are full of em from all the stories I have heard. I watched guys catching them by the nimbus hatchery last year

Sent from my iPhone

LURKER916
02-13-2013, 06:16 PM
They are excellent tasted smoked or slow cooked!
For rod I use a 7foot shimano and 4-6 pound test.

salmonid
02-13-2013, 06:24 PM
We used any kind of small bass or trout rods. 6 lb line is fine for these little guys. Every once and awhile someone will actually land a Spring chinook on their shad rod since they come in the same time as the SHAD!

Jfitalia
02-13-2013, 06:35 PM
Are we getting a shad board or are we just doing the annual shad thread?

If so lets get er started!

under two months...........:dancingorange::dancingorange::da ncingorange::dancingorange::dancingorange::dancing orange::dancingorange:

sorry but i cannot start a shad thread until i get the blessing from Bigg Ant.

LURKER916
02-13-2013, 06:39 PM
He's probably shad fishing jeremy!

D. Lloyd
02-13-2013, 07:40 PM
Just talked to Wes and a shad board is on its way for you guys!

LURKER916
02-13-2013, 08:12 PM
That's what I'm talking about!

CAL.NDN
02-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Oh did i mention i caught two shad today.

LURKER916
02-13-2013, 08:18 PM
Hahahahaa

If u did I want a picture.

CAL.NDN
02-13-2013, 08:20 PM
I used ultra light ugly 7 foot with 4# tess striper fishing was slow but the guys using live shad were getting em so i tried my luck at for a couple hrs that day and could only get big ones wouldn't ya know it. This year im going to C&R And pursue them buggers. Oh i did ok for a rookie landed 8. Bring on the shad darts.

CAL.NDN
02-13-2013, 08:21 PM
Was to busy today for pics :)

LURKER916
02-13-2013, 08:22 PM
Yup yup. I'm gonna do some fly fishing for em also this year

CAL.NDN
02-13-2013, 08:27 PM
That would be fun.

BIG_ONE
02-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Soon it will be time for me to find a new reel and load it with some 8lbs P-Line CX Premium...primarily for the American. I can't afford to lose another 5+ pounders. The sheer power and speed itself will cut you through...with an adrenaline. LOL.

LURKER916
02-13-2013, 08:39 PM
I gotta agree with you big one.

I lost some big ones to small line last year. No pun intended hahahaha

AnglingWes
02-13-2013, 08:46 PM
15# power pro

ilovefishing
02-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Can't wait for them to run in the AR. These pass years I been fishing for them (for fun, catch and release) but I must of landed over 100+ a season.

I use a ultra light, 8 ft with 2-4 lb test. Very fun to fish. I even bring out my 10 ft crappie rod for the fun of it. Lol

insearchoffish
02-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Yea shad board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIG_ONE
02-13-2013, 09:56 PM
15# power pro

In my experience, I find Power Pro to drift a little too fast for my liking on the AR for Shad. The slower drifting with mono catches more fish 2:1 than with a faster drift with braid. But that's just me and my experience...but I think I will break quite a few large ones off on the hook-set with 15lbs Power Pro LOL.

Bigg A
02-13-2013, 11:07 PM
sorry but i cannot start a shad thread until i get the blessing from Bigg Ant.

You have been blessed....lol!! I was just talking about shad the other day while fighting weak trout at the pond. Can't wait to watch that 3lb test scream off my president!!!

Jfitalia
02-14-2013, 09:27 AM
You have been blessed....lol!! I was just talking about shad the other day while fighting weak trout at the pond. Can't wait to watch that 3lb test scream off my president!!!

Man I cant wait to catch some on that 9ft berkley rod I showed you. I got a couple on it last year and it was a blast!

Bigg A
02-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Man I cant wait to catch some on that 9ft berkley rod I showed you. I got a couple on it last year and it was a blast!

I used my 10'6 crappie rod last year....man it was fun!!!! Its nice to be able to go out and catch them so many different ways. Don't know if I showed you last year but I found some pink bodied split tail bug thingy's that killed'em.

BIG_ONE
02-14-2013, 02:12 PM
I used my 10'6 crappie rod last year....man it was fun!!!! Its nice to be able to go out and catch them so many different ways. Don't know if I showed you last year but I found some pink bodied split tail bug thingy's that killed'em.

Are we talking about double tail grub? Or is it D Bomb?

LURKER916
02-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Split tail? Got a picture for us Jeremy?

dabalone
02-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Yup yup. I'm gonna do some fly fishing for em also this year

Gonna promote the fly rod here. Warning, once you use the fly rod and begin hooking up your spinning set ups may start collecting dust. Its not only deadly but just a fun way to catch them. I quit fishing the American for the crowds but a few years ago my son talked me into going with him. Below Sunrise and a popular spot, we waded out to a shallow area in the middle of the river and across from a line of bankers. They were throwing all the usual stuff, some with floats and some not, we were not in their way and fishing the same cut albeit with our shorter casts.

Standing next to each other we were doubled up with fish on a regular basis and one of us almost always had a fish on. We had hooked fish running between our legs and wrapping around each other, laughing and making quite the commotion in front of all those people, I am sure some were converted that evening. Thats my story and im sticking to it!

James Chen
02-14-2013, 04:09 PM
Thats my usual spot too! Cept my area is about a quarter mile hikeon the north side so usualy only one or two ppl there :)
FLY FISHING IS THE BEST =P
Let me know when yall headout only thin better than catching fish is catching fish with some fellow fishermen

Sent from James Chen using tapatalk

Notyap32
02-14-2013, 04:11 PM
Anyone know how far they come up the Sac river? Do they go past the AR and feather?

I fished for them twice near Chico last season and there was about 10 people on the bank and in the 2 hours I was out there, there was at least 50 fish that were caught. I only got 2 that day but everyone else was catching them every other cast it seemed like. I went out again and there was only 2 others fishing the bank and we didnt catch anything. I guess its all about timing

James Chen
02-14-2013, 04:16 PM
Shad come in waves, "aka schools",
Sometimes you will go out and there will be no shad coming through your section then all of a sudden a school of shad rolls in and its on fire!
Dont quite know how far the shad go up the rivers but like every other spawnin fish i assume they go up pretty far

Jfitalia
02-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Gonna promote the fly rod here. Warning, once you use the fly rod and begin hooking up your spinning set ups may start collecting dust. Its not only deadly but just a fun way to catch them. I quit fishing the American for the crowds but a few years ago my son talked me into going with him. Below Sunrise and a popular spot, we waded out to a shallow area in the middle of the river and across from a line of bankers. They were throwing all the usual stuff, some with floats and some not, we were not in their way and fishing the same cut albeit with our shorter casts.

Standing next to each other we were doubled up with fish on a regular basis and one of us almost always had a fish on. We had hooked fish running between our legs and wrapping around each other, laughing and making quite the commotion in front of all those people, I am sure some were converted that evening. Thats my story and im sticking to it!

I want to get one this year on my fly rod! What weight rod do you use as what type of line?
I have a 4/5wt, 5/6wt and I believe a 7/8wt

Jfitalia
02-14-2013, 05:06 PM

No man I never saw that one. My work schedule will probably be a little different around shad season and I should be working right by the "usual spot" so I should be able to hit it regularly after work during the week.

dabalone
02-14-2013, 06:35 PM
I want to get one this year on my fly rod! What weight rod do you use as what type of line?

JF, the reels can be rated 5/6 wt, meaning they have capacity for either weight fly lines. Six weight fly rod would be great and even a 7 or 8. I like a 6 weight if I have some room to fight them and water not so swift I can't pull them up. A sink tip line will probably be your best choice for most conditions but a floating line with a weighted fly (bead head or lead wrapped)can also work depending on depth of water. Shad are one of the premier fish for fly guys, lots of action and plenty of fight. I also have a great pattern fly I tie up for these little beasts, see if I can get close up pic and post it up.

LURKER916
02-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Know a spot my fly buddy SLAYS them. Every cast hookups.

Will be there sooooooooon

James Chen
02-14-2013, 09:21 PM

I have a 4 wt i use because its a whole lot funner fighting with a lighter weight rod

Bigg A
02-15-2013, 04:02 AM
Are we talking about double tail grub? Or is it D Bomb?

You know how the beetle spin bodies look like.....well I found some by accident one time and wouldn't you know it....they were pink and small. Don't remember the size but they were smaller than the grubs. They seem to be pretty effective while float fishing.

BIG_ONE
02-15-2013, 01:01 PM
You know how the beetle spin bodies look like.....well I found some by accident one time and wouldn't you know it....they were pink and small. Don't remember the size but they were smaller than the grubs. They seem to be pretty effective while float fishing.

Ahh, one of those...interesting. A must to add onto my tackle list for Shad.

WHT.RUS
02-15-2013, 10:47 PM
I believe they go up all the way to the dam. Went rafting last year from sunrise to Ancil. Can see large schools of fish swimming up river! Maybe 30-60 fish at a time! I heard people pickle them and use small shad for striped bass. Personally I don't like the smell of them.. Way too fishy! Had a guy at shanghai few years ago targeting striped bass and kept catching shad. The guy wouldn't touch the fish with a 10 foot pole! Had people running to him and unhooking em just to keep the fish. That was the same year a boat got stuck on the water fall and had helicopter lift em up one by one. Not sure what the guy was thinking and bringing his whole family there. Everyone kept yelling at him to rev up in reverse, but guess he wanted to get closer... Memories oh memories!

Sensi Hooks
02-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Heads up guys. "4"! Ive been catching lots of shad for a couple weeks up to walnut grove at least 4# fatties every time. They are there right now. Threadfin shad cuts will get ya big american shads. Theyve only been biting in the evening though small windows. So I fish for stripers and catfish then I switch up the hooks for shads at about 4pm till 5pm.

(Im the type of fisherman who will help you catch more fish by giving you true reports like if you were my family going out for a trip. :Bear_fishes: If you catch then Im happy too)

BIG_ONE
02-19-2013, 11:25 AM
Huh? Since when American Shad feeds on cut baits in specific? Is it a new trend that the American Shad are adapting...hmm...fishy.

Sensi Hooks
02-19-2013, 11:55 AM
If I throw anything else I always catch catfish. I talked to a fellow angler last month and he told me to soak threadfins and I catch at least 3 A-shads in about 20-30 mins every time.

LURKER916
02-19-2013, 02:58 PM
Heads up guys. "4"! Ive been catching lots of shad for a couple weeks up to walnut grove at least 4# fatties every time. They are there right now. Threadfin shad cuts will get ya big american shads. Theyve only been biting in the evening though small windows. So I fish for stripers and catfish then I switch up the hooks for shads at about 4pm till 5pm.

(Im the type of fisherman who will help you catch more fish by giving you true reports like if you were my family going out for a trip. :Bear_fishes: If you catch then Im happy too)

If this is legit then I'm super stoked!
Got any pictures?

Sensi Hooks
02-19-2013, 03:48 PM
Totally legit man for sure. I always got my phone with me but the last few times Ive gone out I used my phone too much during, that my battery ran out way before i caught. Ill charge an old cell phone just to make sure to get a pics no matter what every time i go.

LURKER916
02-19-2013, 04:43 PM
That's pretty awesome....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

_Guppy
02-19-2013, 06:13 PM

does anyone else think there is something very wrong with this?

CrappieJed
02-19-2013, 07:15 PM
I usually serve my mother in law oleander salad...i want to fish for shad bad i never had and i love to smoke fish J Fitilia soccerman lets go i will bring the boat and apples/carrots i know you eat good food

CJ

BIG_ONE
02-19-2013, 07:16 PM
does anyone else think there is something very wrong with this?

LOL...you should start using cut up threadfin for American Shad. Other than that, no further comment from me.
:p

Jfitalia
02-19-2013, 07:56 PM
I usually serve my mother in law oleander salad...i want to fish for shad bad i never had and i love to smoke fish J Fitilia soccerman lets go i will bring the boat and apples/carrots i know you eat good food

CJ

Im in my friend! I am actually dieing to have some crappie!

Marv
02-19-2013, 08:46 PM

Well they eat fish sometimes so it makes since, remember guys people laugh at stuff till it works. If you showed me a senko or an alabama rig 15 years ago i'd laugh and tell you no one is gonna fall for that.

Thanks for the info.

BIG_ONE
02-19-2013, 08:55 PM
Well they eat fish sometimes so it makes since, remember guys people laugh at stuff till it works. If you showed me a senko or an alabama rig 15 years ago i'd laugh and tell you no one is gonna fall for that.

Thanks for the info.

They will bite almost everything in their face...but in terms of actually targeting that specific bait/lure, is a different story & catch ratio. I've caught shad on a bare shiny hook, carp dough, night crawler, and etc. But I think it's more of a "in the face" thing for American Shad, so they had to bite it to see what it was.

WHT.RUS
02-20-2013, 06:54 AM
AR is fun, Feather bears AR though! Just my opinion..

Go to shanghai and start casting lures for striper. Every few casts, you will hook a shad, but more importantly, you'll hook a few stripers!

CrappieJed
02-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Im in my friend! I am actually dieing to have some crappie!
I will come to sacto let me know when the shad are going really good I will be there. J do you know if the Stockton port has shad?

CJ

49erbassman
02-20-2013, 03:53 PM
AR is fun, Feather bears AR though! Just my opinion..

Go to shanghai and start casting lures for striper. Every few casts, you will hook a shad, but more importantly, you'll hook a few stripers!

V let me know when you go next time. I lived 10 min from the feather for 8 years and only fished Shanghai one time. I used to catch bass and stripers all the time at the feather in marysville.

Sent from my iPhone

WHT.RUS
02-20-2013, 04:54 PM
V let me know when you go next time. I lived 10 min from the feather for 8 years and only fished Shanghai one time. I used to catch bass and stripers all the time at the feather in marysville.

Sent from my iPhone

I might hit that place this year with a life jacket. Too much horror stories and my dad refuses to go there at all lol

49erbassman
02-20-2013, 04:55 PM
That's the reason I never fished there lol

Sent from my iPhone

Jfitalia
02-21-2013, 10:11 AM
I will come to sacto let me know when the shad are going really good I will be there. J do you know if the Stockton port has shad?

CJ

I'm not sure but I'll find out for you!

DirtCheapOfficial
02-21-2013, 05:42 PM

CJ

Yes it does

CrappieJed
02-22-2013, 08:55 AM
Yes it does
You mind sharing little more info on Stockton area please?

CJ

DirtCheapOfficial
02-22-2013, 05:50 PM
You mind sharing little more info on Stockton area please?

CJ

I fish for largemouth & see huge schools of shad.
Im also gonna start using a baitfish trap this year to get some live bait ;)

CrappieJed
02-25-2013, 04:13 PM
They will bite almost everything in their face...but in terms of actually targeting that specific bait/lure, is a different story & catch ratio. I've caught shad on a bare shiny hook, carp dough, night crawler, and etc. But I think it's more of a "in the face" thing for American Shad, so they had to bite it to see what it was.

Marv 4lb shad :huh: uh? they get that big? i bet that would be a ball on Crappie gear i would imagine they fight good too always running from big fish!

CJ

CDK
02-25-2013, 07:16 PM
Current Ca record

Shad 7 lbs. 5oz. 5-9-85 Feather River Craig Stillwell

LURKER916
02-25-2013, 08:34 PM
I'm gonna beat that record this year no doubt.

Lolz.

BeefCakeScout
02-25-2013, 09:56 PM
I might hit that place this year with a life jacket. Too much horror stories and my dad refuses to go there at all lol

Shang hai falls are gone. Collapsed a couple years ago. Still some stripes in there, but the current is off the hook.

PinkSalmon
03-14-2013, 03:14 PM

shad makes great fish cakes. too many bones to eat them conventionally. but if you have patient to pick the meat with a fork, put in a blender with dill, salt and pepper, garlic, and cayene pepper. pad the meat into brick size and slice it up to 1/4 inch and fry in olive oil...best fish cake you'll ever have eaten....bon appetite.

westcoastdave
03-15-2013, 07:02 AM
My mother in law from the Philippines was visiting last year. I gave her some shad and she made really good fish cakes out of them. I can't wait to try making my own this year. I already got some practice making salmon cakes.

Sensi Hooks
03-17-2013, 11:47 AM
13326Been catching like 20 2# all day long now. Caught on threadfin shad as I said before. I stopped fishing for them and I moved to get schoolie Stripers......

49erbassman
03-17-2013, 01:06 PM
13326Been catching like 20 2# all day long now. Caught on threadfin shad as I said before. I stopped fishing for them and I moved to get schoolie Stripers......

Lol that's a pike minnow not a shad. You got your fish mixed up no wonder your catching them on that bait

Put one of those on your striper hook and hold on!

Sent from my iPhone

dsa2780
03-17-2013, 09:38 PM
Squawfish my friend....a bloody squawfish.

I live below Freeport, and I'm buying some darts this week, think it's worth a shot trying it out this weekend along the banks? If not, I'm going for some sturgeon.

johnyee1
03-17-2013, 11:18 PM
Squawfish my friend....a bloody squawfish.

I live below Freeport, and I'm buying some darts this week, think it's worth a shot trying it out this weekend along the banks? If not, I'm going for some sturgeon.

If you are thinking about fishing shad, it's still way early in my opinion. Stripers haven't even got hot yet and shad comes after that. Normally during the last week of april is when I begin trying for them but even then, it's still not hot yet but you'll usually catch a few every outing.

BIG_ONE
03-19-2013, 08:25 AM

LOL....Sacramento Pike Minnow. So this is what you were catching on those cut up threadfin shad(Pike Minnow will eat practically almost anything)? I knew something didn't make sense along the way.

Sensi Hooks
03-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Know Your Fish: The Sacramento Splittail (http://www.fishwithjd.com/2012/06/05/know-your-fish-the-sacramento-splittail/) I just did some major research. It is a California Splittail because none have had any colors but chrome and grey. The pike species got lots of color, and the gill slash is more a split tail than a pikes head. A few of us catching them all thought they were shad but its a splittail now that I've compared every aspect of the fish with its conditions.

Sensi Hooks
03-19-2013, 09:30 AM
Sacramento Splittail | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/fish-bio/6902982860/) This is what I usually the size been catching etc.

Cali Duck
03-19-2013, 09:58 AM
Know Your Fish: The Sacramento Splittail (http://www.fishwithjd.com/2012/06/05/know-your-fish-the-sacramento-splittail/) I just did some major research. It is a California Splittail because none have had any colors but chrome and grey. The pike species got lots of color, and the gill slash is more a split tail than a pikes head. A few of us catching them all thought they were shad but its a splittail now that I've compared every aspect of the fish with its conditions.

Learn something new everyday! I've hooked a few of these out of the DWC and never had a clue what they were.

BIG_ONE
03-19-2013, 03:53 PM
Sacramento Splittail | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/fish-bio/6902982860/) This is what I usually the size been catching etc.

The one you hold in your picture, is not a Sacramento Splittail. Sacramento Splittail does not have a bucket mouth. The one in your picture, have a bucket mouth, which in returns, determines that it's a Sacramento Pikeminnow. Sacramento Splittail have a longer top tail than the bottom w/ more sharp profile shape, which a Sacramento Pikeminnow tails are blunt and equal length. I'm 110% positive it's a Sacramento Pikeminnow.

49erbassman
03-19-2013, 05:05 PM
The one you hold in your picture, is not a Sacramento Splittail. Sacramento Splittail does not have a bucket mouth. The one in your picture, have a bucket mouth, which in returns, determines that it's a Sacramento Pikeminnow. Sacramento Splittail have a longer top tail than the bottom w/ more sharp profile shape, which a Sacramento Pikeminnow tails are blunt and equal length. I'm 110% positive it's a Sacramento Pikeminnow.

That's what I thought as well!!

Sent from my iPhone

BeefCakeScout
03-19-2013, 08:36 PM
I concur, pikeminnow. Splittails are very similar though. As for color, it all depends on water conditions

WAPOW
03-19-2013, 10:30 PM
ive seen a shad once...

Marv
03-22-2013, 08:00 AM
F100% a split tail. Look at its head. I have caught plenty of squawfish and the fish he's holding looks nothing like one.

BIG_ONE
03-22-2013, 06:11 PM
F100% a split tail. Look at its head. I have caught plenty of squawfish and the fish he's holding looks nothing like one.

I fish for splittail to put on the table. It's a pikeminnow, the fish is being help lop sided, makes the head similar to a splittail. But according to my experience over the hundreds of thousands splittail caught, their mouth is like a goldfish or carp. Also, pay attention to details on the tail...it's a big give away.

Sensi Hooks
03-24-2013, 11:31 AM
hump on its back . 100% splittail. i catch a bunch of these this is just 1 pic of a small fish. Splittail with or without the forum politics.

49erbassman
03-24-2013, 04:01 PM
hump on its back . 100% splittail. i catch a bunch of these this is just 1 pic of a small fish. Splittail with or without the forum politics.

But you thought they were shad lol haha.......just giving you a hard time. IME split tails have a much more defined V to the tail than the fish in the pic but either way we know you ain't catchin shad lol

Sent from my iPhone

Katfish
03-24-2013, 07:57 PM
Lol quite a debate here. For the record, in my opinion, (of which i feel very confident) that is a split-tail. No doubt. It is true that the top fork of the tail will be longer than the bottom. If you look at the picture however it very clearly is. So yeah. IMO. Split-tail. 100%.

Also what BigOne said was very true and a simple way to determine what this fish is. Its hard to tell in the picture but split-tails' mouths are very carp-like. They are thin and pertrude outwards. They look like little hoover vaccum cleaners. lol

LURKER916
03-24-2013, 08:52 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/25/ne4uquta.jpg

This is a shad. Around 3 pounds. Biggest one I've seen outa the AR was around 5.5 pounds. Beast!

They are almost here. I'm hitting Freeport Tuesday on a scouting mission.

johnyee1
03-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Lol... this mixup between splittail and pikeminnow.

1. It's a pikeminnow, look at the mouth.

2. We are in the end of march and saying easily catching 20 "splittail"... come on, wrong month for that. Guys that fish for splittail gave up in mid january because it got too hard to even catch 1 or 2 and the bite didn't just suddenly turn on again.

3. Also the tail looks non-symmetrical because of the angle. The bottom half of the tail looks longer in the picture. Well in splittail, the top half is longer.

dsa2780
03-24-2013, 10:35 PM
Can we have the shad discussion back? Please?

49erbassman
03-25-2013, 06:25 AM
Can we have the shad discussion back? Please?

Well bring it back then ;-)

Sent from my iPhone

BeefCakeScout
03-26-2013, 10:26 AM
is it shad yet?

LURKER916
03-26-2013, 11:21 AM
Man I'm ready for some silver bullets.

WHT.RUS
04-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Thinking of trying to catch a bunch of small shad and freezing them until next year for striper. Good idea to keep it frozen that long? Or should I stop being cheap LOL

49erbassman
04-07-2013, 04:12 PM
I'm gonna make some bait, vacuum seal it and use it all year long. Gonna make up a few different batches

Fish on!

BIG_ONE
04-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Thinking of trying to catch a bunch of small shad and freezing them until next year for striper. Good idea to keep it frozen that long? Or should I stop being cheap LOL

Those hand size to 12" are good for stripers - monster stripers. They'll stay good as long as you vacuum seal them, they'll be fine as they're an oily species.

CAL.NDN
04-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Im.trying to tell.ya vdog.

LURKER916
04-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Went yesterday. Still no shad.

CRABBY
04-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Went yesterday. Still no shad.Hey you!!!Aren't ya supposed to be workin???:hellohello9il:

dabalone
04-08-2013, 12:11 PM
LOL, 11 pages and the shad haven't even got here yet. I sense some anticipation here.

LURKER916
04-08-2013, 01:03 PM
I work nights Don. During the daytime I'm pretty much fishin.

CAL.NDN
04-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Well hurry up and start catching bro im ready.

IronClad
04-08-2013, 01:48 PM
No kiddin! i fished for shad for the first time last year and that was all it took. Been waiting very patiently !

LURKER916
04-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Still no shad. Looked for them all morning.

LURKER916
04-09-2013, 12:37 PM
And no stripes either.

CAL.NDN
04-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Better head to freeport matt.

LURKER916
04-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Just saw a salmon. Springer? Was big n chrome.

BeefCakeScout
04-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Yeah, I saw a couple the other day. Not enough springers to worry about a fishing season though

LURKER916
04-09-2013, 01:43 PM
SHAD! 3 confirmed. One liar. Chris.

Freeport. Not in the AR yet. Get em boys!

CRABBY
04-09-2013, 04:06 PM
I work nights Don. During the daytime I'm pretty much fishin.You must be workin the red light section again!!!Have fun!!!:nana:

CAL.NDN
04-09-2013, 04:22 PM
You must be workin the red light section again!!!Have fun!!!:nana:

Lmao is that where you meet matt getting rolled on down there. :)

LURKER916
04-10-2013, 02:13 AM
Chris u are the funniest. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/10/zuqemanu.jpg

Cali Duck
04-17-2013, 10:37 AM
It's too quiet in here...

dsa2780
04-17-2013, 05:33 PM
It's too quiet in here...

I second that. I drive by Freeport everyday and see guys, mostly the Asian crowd, casting into the wind and the few boaters netting them.

I'm waiting for this wind to die down. I'm thinking this weekend might be a good time for a morning trip.

Leon Fish
04-17-2013, 10:56 PM
Im going to have to give this Shad stuff a try, be it with fly rod or spinning rod, sounds like fun.

WHT.RUS
04-18-2013, 07:02 AM
I remember seeing shad last year around July 6th while river rafting the AR. They were coming up in schools of 30+ Believe the flows were around 2100 then so think something gotta change about the flow before they start coming up. Not sure whether July was the heart of the season, but it still a month away! :p

Plug-n-Jug
04-18-2013, 07:09 AM
When the Cottonwood trees start dropping that crap everywhere, its shad time. I dont bother till then.

dabalone
04-18-2013, 07:21 AM
When the Cottonwood trees start dropping that crap everywhere, its shad time. I dont bother till then.

This. When the cottonwood starts hitting the water you can bet shad are here.

WAPOW
04-18-2013, 09:43 AM
hi flow, low flow, them fish will move up. they are hard wired to do so...

Roba
04-18-2013, 11:19 AM
The last week or so the cottonwood behind my shop has been dropping cotton. The wind has just been blowing it away the last few days. It must be time. Robert

CAL.NDN
04-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Yep my cotton wood in the hills is dropping as i type :)

49erbassman
04-18-2013, 11:52 AM
The last week or so the cottonwood behind my shop has been dropping cotton. The wind has just been blowing it away the last few days. It must be time. Robert

Hey Rob how it goes? Haven't seen you on the boards since salmon season ended.

Fish on!

crawdaddundee
04-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Thinking of trying to catch a bunch of small shad and freezing them until next year for striper. Good idea to keep it frozen that long? Or should I stop being cheap LOL Not sure if it is legal to use sport fish for bait.

49erbassman
04-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Not sure if it is legal to use sport fish for bait.

I don't see anything in the regs about shad? I could have missed it but I have looked a few times.

Fish on!

johnyee1
04-18-2013, 04:00 PM
It's legal. I'm not sure where people are getting this can't use sport fish from. People say that about using bluegills and splittail as bait too. Limits still apply when you use them as bait but it's perfectly legal as long as you use it where you caught it for live stuff.

And by legal, I mean in the valley district in the river systems. Lakes go by different rules.

dsa2780
04-18-2013, 09:12 PM
100 percent legal to use American Shad as bait in the Sac if you caught them in the sac. Same with the American.

I'm looking to live line some this year with a fin clipped for a big striper and then freeze the ones I didn't smoke for Striper/sturgeon bait in the winter.