PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Last Friday 2/15/12

Lifted
02-20-2013, 10:42 AM
I used the holiday as an excuse to take a long weekend up in Reno, and I was able to fish Pyramid for the first time ever last Friday. Thanks to CC for the tips advice earlier in the week. I met my buddy at Cabela's at 9am since we had to exchange a broken rod which was a nice start. We were skeptical as to the warranty, but we simply brought the broken rod to the customer service counter and she gave me a new one without even asking what happened (it was $75 Cabela's brand rod and about 1.5" of the tip broke off)! I also picked up a few Krocodile lures in 3/8oz per recommendations.

We took off at arrived at Blockhouse at 11:00 to a pretty crowded beach, but everyone had enough room and I wouldn't call it combat fishing. However there was another angler in the spot my friend caught his fish last time =( Long story short I threw all kinds of lures sunk to the bottom and retrieve fairly slowly from multiple Krocodile patters, a jointed brown trout rapala, hot pink rapala, 1oz rainbow spoon all to no avail. My buddy's spot opened and he moved down there and landed the fish pictured below. He used the Krocodile the whole time which was the 3/8oz silver with reflective diamond pattern (for lack of better description lol). We saw a few other fish being caught but not many. Around 2:30 the wind picked up and our casting distances diminished so we decided to take off, though there were others still fishing. A guy in a pontoon said he was marking a bunch of fish just a bit further away than we were able to cast. CC or others please chime in if you see this...are you casting to those fish to catch them, or do they occasionally cruise closer to shore and that's when you nab them?

Forgot to mention... the fish was tagged but we didn't have service when we tried to call the number. Just reminded myself to try again today lol.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-QGNqRI5u02E/USUUQC34cgI/AAAAAAAAADc/JpzqKcLp3cs/s912/20130215_125602.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-_x-LqJEttNw/USUUS1cpPgI/AAAAAAAAAD8/BWqdZnOOfoo/s912/20130215_125632.jpg

Captain Compassion
02-20-2013, 06:05 PM
Most excellent Lifted. Glad you got some fish. The silver one with the tag is a Pilot Peak Fish. These are stocked by the USFWS from the Lahontan National Fish Hatchery about 5 miles south from where I live.

http://www.fws.gov/lahontannfhc/lnfh.html

These are quickly turning into super fish with those barely over 6 years old are over 20#. Out from the stocking ramp where you fished a couple of hundred yards or so there is a hot spring. Folks see lots of fish here on their finders but these are mostly Cui-ui, suckers or carp looking for a little warm. Actually most fish I catch are fairly close to shore just below the dropoff. My biggest fish last year was hooked less than 10 feet from my rod tip. The fish either cruse 15 to 30 foot depth or hang well off shore or make dashes in from time to time. I will be on the shore Friday. Hope I can get a few.

CC

Lifted
02-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Most excellent Lifted. Glad you got some fish. The silver one with the tag is a Pilot Peak Fish. These are stocked by the USFWS from the Lahontan National Fish Hatchery about 5 miles south from where I live.

Lahontan National Fish Hatchery Complex (http://www.fws.gov/lahontannfhc/lnfh.html)

These are quickly turning into super fish with those barely over 6 years old are over 20#. Out from the stocking ramp where you fished a couple of hundred yards or so there is a hot spring. Folks see lots of fish here on their finders but these are mostly Cui-ui, suckers or carp looking for a little warm. Actually most fish I catch are fairly close to shore just below the dropoff. My biggest fish last year was hooked less than 10 feet from my rod tip. The fish either cruse 15 to 30 foot depth or hang well off shore or make dashes in from time to time. I will be on the shore Friday. Hope I can get a few.

CC

Thanks for the response and good luck out there tomorrow! That's interesting that the hatchery is actually affiliated with the federal government and not the state. I didn't know there was a program on a national level, but that is very cool work they're doing. Glad we released him/her to grow up and be a trophy fish one day!

Captain Compassion
02-21-2013, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the response and good luck out there tomorrow! That's interesting that the hatchery is actually affiliated with the federal government and not the state. I didn't know there was a program on a national level, but that is very cool work they're doing. Glad we released him/her to grow up and be a trophy fish one day!

The Tribe stocks around 1,000,000 fingerlings per year at Pyramid that are taken and grown at the hatchery just south of Suttcliffe. The USFWS hatchery plants around 50,000 to 100,000 Pilot Peak strain fish eash year sense 2006. These fish are planted at around 7 inches long and have a little better survival rate then the fingerlings. The Pilot Peak fish are a little more silvery than the Lake fish and are more agressive piscavores. The Pilot Peak fish are more geneticially representative of the monsters that were in the lake at the turn of the last century. My best so far is a 8.25 pound fish caught last November.

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/111412-02.jpg

Maybe tomorrow. :)

CC

dr.fish
02-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the report. Tried a couple of times to head out last few weeks but weather not cooperating. Good luck,CC!

Captain Compassion
02-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the report. Tried a couple of times to head out last few weeks but weather not cooperating. Good luck,CC!

Hey Doc. If you would like to fish the shore let me know. Not too much of a chore to swing by your town and pick you up.

CC