PDA

View Full Version : Deboning shad

dabalone
02-22-2013, 03:12 PM
I used to keep some shad for an ole Portugese fella I know here in Sacto, he is gone now but man could he make those things tasty. He would smoke or pickle them and give me plenty of the finished product, both ways they were really good. His favorite however was the roe.

He did debone them but I never learned how he did it, I just dropped them off. Anyways, here is a you tube of a guy going into fine details of de boning American shad. Almost an art. Two parts to his video and well done.

How to clean American Shad (Part 1 of 2) by Captain Vincent Russo - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTAgJWTTm4I)

CrappieJed
02-22-2013, 04:12 PM
I used to keep some shad for an ole Portugese fella I know here in Sacto, he is gone now but man could he make those things tasty. He would smoke or pickle them and give me plenty of the finished product, both ways they were really good. His favorite however was the roe.

He did debone them but I never learned how he did it, I just dropped them off. Anyways, here is a you tube of a guy going into fine details of de boning American shad. Almost an art. Two parts to his video and well done.

How to clean American Shad (Part 1 of 2) by Captain Vincent Russo - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTAgJWTTm4I)

I have away that I smoke trout and the finish product taste just like kipper snack fish I bet it would be great for shad I just need to learn how to catch them. Stockton is closest delta for me.

CJ

johnyee1
02-22-2013, 05:36 PM
I've been deboning shad similar to that video. It looks difficult but it's pretty simple once you know what angles the bones are at + a sharp knife. The art is just knowing how much cutting you need to do before you can just pull out the bone without tearing the meat.

Don't try to imitate the video using a fillet knife, you'll set yourself up for failure if you don't make modifications. Doesn't work because it doesn't have that rounded cutting edge that breaker knives have.

dabalone
02-22-2013, 05:55 PM
I have away that I smoke trout and the finish product taste just like kipper snack fish I bet it would be great for shad I just need to learn how to catch them. Stockton is closest delta for me.

CJ

I bet it would be great for shad, if you de bone. Shad are full of tiny little bones and why I thought the video would be good to post. The roe is a prize for many people but I hate seeing a great little game fish be stripped of its eggs and the rest tossed. The pickling process dissolves the tiny thin bones in the flesh, otherwise you have to deal with them by deboning. I have had shad smoked with the bones left in and its such a tedious process trying to eat them it just takes away from what is a very tasty fish.

Don't know much about the shad fishing that low in the system Jed, hopefully some will give you tips on your area. If you were to travel up the Sac, say to the Freeport area they are easy to catch during the main runs. 3 to 5 foot leader, swivel with 3/4 ounce sliding egg sinker above and a shad fly, cast it out count it down and reel in.

CrappieJed
02-22-2013, 07:14 PM
I bet it would be great for shad, if you de bone. Shad are full of tiny little bones and why I thought the video would be good to post. The roe is a prize for many people but I hate seeing a great little game fish be stripped of its eggs and the rest tossed. The pickling process dissolves the tiny thin bones in the flesh, otherwise you have to deal with them by deboning. I have had shad smoked with the bones left in and its such a tedious process trying to eat them it just takes away from what is a very tasty fish.

Don't know much about the shad fishing that low in the system Jed, hopefully some will give you tips on your area. If you were to travel up the Sac, say to the Freeport area they are easy to catch during the main runs. 3 to 5 foot leader, swivel with 3/4 ounce sliding egg sinker above and a shad fly, cast it out count it down and reel in.

That sounds great... no suprise crappie are my favorite even though I just bought dozen jumbos for stripers tomorrow...I would love to try crappie jigs for shad. Big Ant talks about that he got me very excited on that

CJ

Steve079
02-22-2013, 08:00 PM
I smoke and can Kokes that are too small to do much else with. Canning them after the smoking process eliminates the bones as well. If I had access to shad, I'd do a batch of them like I do the kokes, to see how they turn out. I think they'd be real good.

CrappieJed
02-22-2013, 09:05 PM
Are Shad oily

CJ

Bigg A
02-23-2013, 05:22 AM
I smoke and can Kokes that are too small to do much else with. Canning them after the smoking process eliminates the bones as well. If I had access to shad, I'd do a batch of them like I do the kokes, to see how they turn out. I think they'd be real good.

When the shad run gets going in full swing.....I could put a few to the side for you if your willing to come and get them.

Bigg A
02-23-2013, 05:25 AM
Are Shad oily

CJ

Yup.......slow cooked and served over a bowl of rice.....yummy!!!!!

WHT.RUS
02-23-2013, 06:21 AM
My dad said they are delicious when cooked on BBQ. Mayo, onions, spices and garlic for substitute of onions. If anyone want to try it!