PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Light Rod for Trout?

WHT.RUS
02-23-2013, 06:10 AM
Just purchased a 6'6" Okuma Celilo and a "Louger?" Reel as a lake trout rod. Any good reviews on rod/reel? Am looking for another combo, if you guys can suggest anything good. I'm thinking that this rod might be too light? Using 6 lb main with 4 lb leader.

Marv
02-23-2013, 07:01 AM
That will work perfectly V not to light at all :) the reel is a Pflueger trion, my bro inlaw has one he keeps at my house and I use it sometimes. It's a butter smooth reel, I have the Pflueger president which is the next model up from the trion, I use to like shimano, but RideNfish let me use his pflueger reel when Ididn't have a trout reel and feel in love. With the reel not RidNfish :) The rod you got is a pretty popular ultralight rod. Get your self some 1 1/2" grasshopper tubes and some 1/32oz. jig heads and your set.

WHT.RUS
02-23-2013, 07:17 AM
That will work perfectly V not to light at all :) the reel is a Pflueger trion, my bro inlaw has one he keeps at my house and I use it sometimes. It's a butter smooth reel, I have the Pflueger president which is the next model up from the trion, I use to like shimano, but RideNfish let me use his pflueger reel when Ididn't have a trout reel and feel in love. With the reel not RidNfish :) The rod you got is a pretty popular ultralight rod. Get your self some 1 1/2" grasshopper tubes and some 1/32oz. jig heads and your set.

Thanks for the info! Will be testing it out today. Should I get something alike for my second rod? This combo cost me about $75, and I was shopping for 30 dollar cheap combo. Didnt like walmart foam handles so hit up Sportsman. Should hook one anytime now!

Marv
02-23-2013, 07:33 AM
Sure, if you'll be using at lakes mostly you could even go with a 7' or 7'6'' for some casting distance. It's nice to have a variety. You can also bump up to a light power rod so you can bomb water bobbers too. Good luck and enjoy.

iggybabble
02-23-2013, 10:41 AM
ive got 2 Okuma Celilo 7' Ultralights, rated 2-6 lb line and i really like them! after fishing one for a couple years i bought a second one! i forget what reel ive got on one, but the other has one of the US reel Long Cast design spin reels on it, and both have 4 lb test. its what i use in most lake fishing situations. for the price, im genuinely impressed by these Okuma rods, good guides, reel seat, and cork grips, well balanced and sensitive.

iggybabble
02-23-2013, 10:46 AM

You and RideNFish both reside in California.............you two can fall in love if you want, its kinda common here:heart1:............the Devil made me do it, LOL

CRABBY
02-23-2013, 12:49 PM
RideNfish let me use his pflueger reel when Ididn't have a trout reel and I fell in love. With the reel not RidNfish :) As Bob said this is Calif.HeHe!!:heart::naughty:...Had to say it Marv..Chris made me do it!!!:vrolijk_26:

CAL.NDN
02-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Great combo v. Get a 7' next and use 4# main line good real to.

CAL.NDN
02-23-2013, 01:18 PM
The lil extra money u spent is well worh it you will enjoy that combo for years to come only thing u will need to change now and spend money on is line. That reel and rod with drag adjusted right will land plenty of DD trout when you get lucky enough to come across.

49erbassman
02-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Glad I talked you into sportmens last night V lol. Sweet little combo

Sent from my iPhone

Bainter1212
02-23-2013, 03:34 PM
My two cents - my very favorite combo is my Shakespeare collapsible ultralight rig. It extends to 4.5 feet, is sturdy, utra sensitive and comes with a halfway decent reel. Rated for 2-6 lb line. It is SUPER compact, great for backpacking and carrying along when you think you might need that "extra" rig. I bought mine on sale for $25 normally $50 at Big 5 a couple of years ago. You can find them on Amazon.

P.S. don't buy the medium weight collapsible Shakespeare combo. Total junk and inferior in all ways to the ultralight (personal experience).

Jfitalia
02-23-2013, 03:58 PM
I agree that your 2nd rod should be a 7ft or 7 1/2 ft rod rated light action. You'll want this one for casting your clear water bobbers, 1/4oz kastmasters, 1/4oz krocodiles.

RideNfish
02-23-2013, 04:44 PM
I hate it when I get dragged into a thread without participation from myself. :) Let's get this clear. I only discuss "rods" on fishing forums and I like girls! LOL

Oh, and ultra lite or lite gear is the only way to go.

Now I'm off to _________ my wife. HaHa

Shoreman
02-23-2013, 05:09 PM
I bought a 6'6" Okuma with a matching reel at Big 5 Sports for just under $20. I use 2# fluorocarbon and cast 1/4 oz. Kastmasters. I've caught up to 5# Rainbows out at Camanche. It's my go to rod when I lure fish.

Marv
02-23-2013, 05:15 PM
Lmao, I said I fell in love with the reel you crotchety old pervs :laugh:

Marv
02-23-2013, 05:17 PM
It's never ok to tell your fishing partner "I have to pee will you hold my rod while i go?" :sheep:

WHT.RUS
02-23-2013, 05:33 PM
Thanks for all the info! I wanted a 7-7.6 but they didnt have any on display and the store was closing within 10 min so grabbed what I saw. Wonder if I can return this rod and buy a bigger one instead?

WHT.RUS
02-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Nevermind! Looks like the biggest Celilo rod is a 6'6". What other good brand with a reasonable price that is 7-7.6? Need to upgrade my second walmart rod!

Also, went to Collins today just to get skunked. The wind was too fast which made is "unfishable?". Water clarity sucked, maybe 6 feet at best. 3 boats fished and all were skunked and made a run for it before the wind picked up even more. Only know of 3 landed at the swimming beach, but there was 20+ rods in the water. Maybe next time!

WHT.RUS
02-23-2013, 06:03 PM
I bought a 6'6" Okuma with a matching reel at Big 5 Sports for just under $20. I use 2# fluorocarbon and cast 1/4 oz. Kastmasters. I've caught up to 5# Rainbows out at Camanche. It's my go to rod when I lure fish.

$20? That's a steal!

rc_king1
02-23-2013, 07:32 PM
I have not used the Celilo line but I own 2 of the SST UL (1-5 ft and 1 6.5 ft) rods and love them. For reels, I chose a Saros 1000F and and a Stradic 1000FJ. My friend has the 7 ft version of the SST and loves it.

Enjoy!

allfishing
02-23-2013, 07:55 PM
I suggest okuma sst kokanee rods there very nice 50.00 retail

WHT.RUS
02-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Thanks! Guess SST will be my next rod!

edit: Maybe not...Looking into a light clarus. Looking for a lifetime warranty!

Notyap32
02-24-2013, 12:38 AM
Just purchased a 6'6" Okuma Celilo and a "Louger?" Reel as a lake trout rod. Any good reviews on rod/reel? Am looking for another combo, if you guys can suggest anything good. I'm thinking that this rod might be too light? Using 6 lb main with 4 lb leader.

I have this exact combo only with the 7' rod. It is awesome i had some 4 pound line on it for a bit and i could probably cast around 300' with the right size lure. The only problem was the line breaking every once in awhile while whipping the lure out there. Now I keep a spool of 6lb Berkley and a spool of 8lb pline, both of which work great

WHT.RUS
02-24-2013, 07:03 AM
I have this exact combo only with the 7' rod. It is awesome i had some 4 pound line on it for a bit and i could probably cast around 300' with the right size lure. The only problem was the line breaking every once in awhile while whipping the lure out there. Now I keep a spool of 6lb Berkley and a spool of 8lb pline, both of which work great

I always liked P-Line. I put a 6 lb CXFMG. Not sure how well that will hold as I haven't felt a tug on the rod yet.

Heard people use 10 lb braid for these setups. Is that any good?

Marv
02-24-2013, 08:00 AM
The clarus is an awesome rod!!! RideNfish has a 5'6'' and it is so light and sensitive, great choice. If you spend that much on a nice rod pair it with the Pflueger president 25 0r 30 series depending on what you like and you'll be using for life.

iggybabble
02-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Regarding a warranty, or lack of one...how often have you broken a rod, other than via operator error? close it in a car door, or hit the blank on something and it breaks next time you load the rod up. unless the warranty allows a tackle store to simply exchange a rod over the counter, your usually required to ship it back to the manufacturer for warranty consideration, which can take a while. how much more does the lifetime warranty rod cost, and does it feel better built, or are you simply paying more for a warranty that you may never use? all im suggesting is that you factor in price vs warranty, and decide whether your handling of tackle really requires a warranty

iggybabble
02-24-2013, 09:54 AM
PS....another consideration is how often do you fish remote location, far from tackle shops, or fish early or late after the stores are closed? the best warranty in the world sucks when the the only rod or reel in your possession breaks at 7pm Friday night, 125 miles from the tackle store. personally, i always have at least one extra rod and reel no more than a 20 minute walk away from where im currently fishing. my typical eastern Sierra trout trip has 5-8 ultra-light to light rods/reels from 5-7 feet length and 4-8 lb test, so i can fish bait or lures anywhere from 3 foot across creeks, thru big lakes, and do it with a minimum of re rigging. heck if you buy the DFG second rod stamp, you better always have a third rod/reel as a backup. having an extra rig with you keeps a great trip from being ruined by a gear breakdown, and if you can selectively purchase well priced rigs, your $150-200 buys you two combos, rather than only one....

H-man
02-24-2013, 09:55 AM
Obviously, rod and reel selected will depend upon what one is willing to spend. I looked hard at a Loomis UL rod and realized that the Shimano Compre UL is very similar except about $150 cheaper. Loomis I understand is now owned by Shimano... I bought two of the 7' Compre rods... very pleased

As for reels, I prefer Shimano Stradic. Again could go top of the line and go for Stellas, but that is a lot of coins. Have 6 Stradics and no issues with any

I use 2# line and find most brands are good, but one needs to change the line more often, retie knots more often... otherwise you break off more often. Typically I will respool every couple trips and carry to new back up spools for my reels just in case I am having problems with the line.

As for rod warranty, the Compre has lifetime replacement warranty. I did break one rod when brand new, think there was a defect in the rod. Ended up shipping it back to Shimano. What was amazing was I spoke with their customer service person, they shipped me a replacement rod in advance and had me ship the broken rod back with paid postage to them after the replacement was delivered to me!

IMHO UL line whether it is 2, 4, 6 or other is all relative, to the water and type of fish you target. I use 2# for trout and shad because I want more challenge and do lose more fish, but I think I get more hook ups due to lighter line. Most times I am casting a 1/32 or 1/16 oz lure and it requires lighter line.

49erbassman
02-24-2013, 11:09 AM
I have a 6'6" compre casting rod and love it. It's a medium heavy action rod and has caught many bass. Can't be the warranty of course

Sent from my iPhone

TroutGhost
02-24-2013, 08:03 PM
The Clarus rod is one of my favorites. I have a 6-6 UL rod and it has never let me down. Paired with the right weight line and right sized reel and it casts fantastic. I usually pair it with either a Pfleuger President 6725 or a Shimano Symetre (1000 size).

I'm not a snob about rods. I like the dark green "Cabelas Classic" el cheapo IM 6 graphite rods. Casts fine, probably as well as my Clarus. I did have an UL rod that had a tip break off bumping up against my old-lady-shopping-cart on the way to the pier last year. User error? We can quibble but buy me a beer first. :) Called up Cabelas and sent it back for a replacement. Easy Peasy, no problems ever since. I own four different lengths and actions of those rods. They sometimes go on sale for like fourteen or nineteen bucks, something like that. Great action and sensitivity.

After getting outfished last year by a guy wielding a $15 combo I'm pretty convinced that as long as the rod has good action and you are using the right bait/lure rig, you're good to go for stocked trout. Stockers are normally not that far from shore so casting distance isn't really an issue. I think the reel is more important. Sink your money into there if money is an issue.

Steve079
02-24-2013, 08:14 PM
I like the Ugly sticks, I have two for trolling when I run inline planers, or leadcore. Same model in a spinning rod, for Cats and the occasional salmon run.
My latest is a 7ft, u/l rated for 2-6 lb test. Put a shimano sedona on it, running 4lb red Stren. Very happy with it. First time out in an old familar spot, I flung it all the way across and into the opposite bank.

CAL.NDN
02-24-2013, 08:29 PM
Lmao steve i got that ul ugly with a pflueger presidential and did that same thing last week at pardee hummed that baby all the way to other side of bank twice but wasnt funny lost my gear both time. Couldn't help it though they were boiling rite against the bank on the other side lol

Notyap32
02-25-2013, 02:58 PM
I always liked P-Line. I put a 6 lb CXFMG. Not sure how well that will hold as I haven't felt a tug on the rod yet.

Heard people use 10 lb braid for these setups. Is that any good?

I've only used 10 pound braid once on a spinning rod. It worked decent for a couple hours then got the worlds worst wind knot and had to cut most of the line off. That was the last time i used braid on my spinning rod and now i only use mono with fluorocarbon leaders if needed.

P-line is one of the toughest lines out there but the only downfall is that it is thicker than all other lines that i have used

Lifted
02-25-2013, 04:53 PM
I just saw this on Cabela's and had to pick one up. Thought I'd mention it since it seems to be a popular reel mentioned in this thread. By the way this is the "old" President which ironically has 11 bearings vs 9 in the "new" model. Unfortunately they don't have the smallest size though.

Cabela's: Pflueger® President Spinning Reels (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fishing-Reels/Spinning-Reels%7C/pc/104793480/c/104760180/sc/104837580/Pfluegerreg-President-Spinning-Reels/739561.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishi ng-fishing-reels-spinning-reels%2Fpflueger%2F_%2FN-1102842%2B1000004297%2FNe-1000004297%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104837580%3FWTz_l%3DUnknown%253Bcat10 4793480%253Bcat104760180%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WT z_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104793480%3Bcat104760180%3Bcat1 04837580)

CAL.NDN
02-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Thats a great deal payed 59$ 4 years ago and still as smooth as first day i got it and it lots of miles on it.

WHT.RUS
02-27-2013, 08:09 AM
I couldn't find an SST in 7 to 7.6 foot range without it being a kokanee rod. Picked up another celilo 7.6 with a Daiwa Laguna reel for about 85 bucks. Will test them out this weekend and report to you guys:)

Maumee
04-17-2015, 05:29 PM
Bumpin' this thread...

First post, btw...

I'm putting together something lightweight for primarily trout casting at lakes. I'm looking at the Okuma Celio, 7' Light version. I can get it on Amazon shipped for $34.
I've got an older Abu Garcia reel that used to be great on an ultralight setup I used to have. Will put 4# line on it and hope to fish lures primarily below 1/4 oz. If the reel sucks, I guess I can get a better one down the road.

My primary question is related to the length of the rod. It seems like a lot of lighter weight rods some in shorter lengths, like 6' and shorter. Is there any reason a 7 footer would not be a good idea? Besides maybe wanting to use it for backpacking or small streams?

There's a lot of good info on this forum. I've been lurking the past couple months gathering info about Cal fishing.
Thanks in advance.

Porem
04-17-2015, 08:44 PM
I would think it will be just fine at 7' unless you are fishing really dense areas that make it hard to cast.

7' is not all that long anyway so I doubt you will run into any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jfitalia
04-17-2015, 08:47 PM
Nothing smaller than 7ft.

redneckpunk
04-17-2015, 08:47 PM
I have 2 of the 7ft Celilo spinning rods I use for bait, lure and trolling. I love them.

~RNP

danweasel
04-18-2015, 08:27 AM
Celio is a good rod. If I didn't lose half of mine off the back of the quad I'd still be rockin one. Mine was a little under seven maybe six, six? Seven feet is too long unless you are fishing ONLY in spots without obstacles. I like six foot light, not ultra, weight rods now actually. Can cast plenty far and they have just a little bit more of a chance to survive an eight beer evening.

Trout Tracker
04-18-2015, 05:29 PM
I have a Okuma Celilo light action 7ft casting rod that i use for
trolling from the boat.
Has plenty of back bone for the bigger trout and hecka fun
to catch a bigger fish with.It may be a Koke rod but
great for catching trout also.Thier is no guessing when
your getting a bite.
Been wanting to get another light action rod and
have been looking on line at the Lamiglass cg70cr.
I like the fact that it's a 2piece 7ft rod.
But i won't make a decision untill i look at it in person.
I don't think you could go wrong at all
with the rod you have.
TT

blckshirt98
04-18-2015, 07:45 PM
Bumpin' this thread...

First post, btw...

I'm putting together something lightweight for primarily trout casting at lakes. I'm looking at the Okuma Celio, 7' Light version. I can get it on Amazon shipped for $34.
I've got an older Abu Garcia reel that used to be great on an ultralight setup I used to have. Will put 4# line on it and hope to fish lures primarily below 1/4 oz. If the reel sucks, I guess I can get a better one down the road.

My primary question is related to the length of the rod. It seems like a lot of lighter weight rods some in shorter lengths, like 6' and shorter. Is there any reason a 7 footer would not be a good idea? Besides maybe wanting to use it for backpacking or small streams?

There's a lot of good info on this forum. I've been lurking the past couple months gathering info about Cal fishing.
Thanks in advance.

If budget was no object, I really like the Phenix Elixir trout rods. Not too noodly, good backbone. Some models can do double duty for trout/panfish and bass. However I've caught the most trout on my budget Shimano Sojourn ultralight rods...tons of fun to catch them on.

As for length go with whatever is longest that you can get away with for the place you're fishing. Unless you're at a place where there's a lot of crap overhead or along the shoreline that hinders your casting with a longer rod, the extra length will give you more flexibility in how far you can throw bait/jigs/etc. Short rods are more for portability if you're say backpacking a long ways or fishing a place with lots of shoreline clutter.

fishingfan
04-25-2015, 06:54 PM
I have the St. Croix Trout series and they are amazingggggg.

Fishing Fanatic
04-25-2015, 08:41 PM
GX2 ugly stick ultra lights, cheap abd dependable

Rugby Lock
04-28-2015, 11:16 AM
Nothing smaller than 7ft.

Why nothing smaller than 7ft!

S_L
04-28-2015, 12:09 PM
My best one at the moment is Shimano Clarus 7'6" CSS-76UL2B. Simply excellent.
My next one will be St Croix PFS69ULF - single piece 6'9" beauty.
I'm in love with that baby!
Now I'm collecting founds, and as soon as my money pig will be filled (it is $120), I'll jump on it ASAP!! :)

alucardbear
04-28-2015, 12:33 PM
Try the dawia presso it's really nice.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk