PDA

View Full Version : Collins report

Trott
02-24-2013, 07:17 PM
Does anybody have a updated report of Collins. I know they are doing their planting every other week. I went there a few times in the beginning of the month but it was slow. I was wondering if anybody is having more luck than me. I'm thinking about heading up there tomorrow

49erbassman
02-24-2013, 08:20 PM
Yesterday I heard was tough for bank fishermen. Not sure bout boats.

Sent from my iPhone

PorterO
02-25-2013, 07:43 AM
Was there last weekend seemed tough from the bank and boat. Managed squeek out 4 trout.

Akasha Twi-Path
02-25-2013, 09:26 AM
Was there about a week ago only managed 2 fish in about 5 hours trolling rapala's, my Girls step dad got a little wild rainbow and i got a 3 lbs stocker not a bad day but really slow didn't see many others catching much either

Jfitalia
02-25-2013, 10:06 AM
im going to wait until the weekly plants start in a few weeks.

Trout Tracker
02-25-2013, 08:04 PM
A friend of mine and i were thier last Saturday and
fished our hearts out for a total of 5 from 7:00 to 2:00.
We trolled several different dodgers/crawler cobinations
and a GFR rapala.
I did get 1 on leadcore at 2 colors out.
We scoped fish just about every place we trolled but
the bite just was not thier.
I don't know if the water has cleared up much.
But for us it was stained and i bet visibility wasen't
but 5 feet if that.
I'm going to give it awhile untill the water clears.
TT

Chrome_Hunter
02-28-2013, 09:25 PM
I was planning on going there this weekend :/

ampm
03-11-2013, 10:16 AM
hey guys, been skunked on the bank there the last 2 weekends in a row, which is very rare for me at collins. Total of 2 bites in 2 days fishing. Seen some nice fish being caught here and there but those who are catching seems to be like 2-3 fish at the most, lots of skunker-roos. Not sure what is happpening there very suspious about of reports of guys getting stringers full. The fish I saw were nice size, just not many of them.

Jfitalia
03-11-2013, 10:52 AM
reports are showing the shore people are struggling a bit. I would take the walk to the east shore and fish that side. The boaters are doing well trolling raps and plastics up by the big cove leading to the bridge.

They are also due to plant this week.

fishslammer
03-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Camped there Friday thru Monday! Bank and trolling was SLOW! Topline with bright orange and chartreuse colors got the only fish/hits. Did well bass fishing from a boat.

CRABBY
03-11-2013, 04:54 PM
hey guys, been skunked on the bank there the last 2 weekends in a row, which is very rare for me at collins. Total of 2 bites in 2 days fishing. Seen some nice fish being caught here and there but those who are catching seems to be like 2-3 fish at the most, lots of skunker-roos. Not sure what is happpening there very suspious about of reports of guys getting stringers full. The fish I saw were nice size, just not many of them.Kirby, where have you been my friend??Long time no see!!!!...Don

ampm
03-12-2013, 07:15 AM
Kirby, where have you been my friend??Long time no see!!!!...Don

Hi Don,
Keeping a low profile these days, had a rough winter w/ a few deaths in our family over the holidays, really sucked. Out fishing again now, but dang it I dont think I've caught a fish since I renewed my license in Jan (well, I caught a carp up on the feather river lol!) I was banging sharks and stripers back in the fall down in San pablo Bay, went sturgeon hunting one time right before new laws went into effect and that brought on the dry spell I think. Hope to see you soon, maybe up at Collins trout fest?
Kirby

jpearce
03-14-2013, 03:44 PM
My wife and I camped there Sunday (10th) thru Wednesday. Fished seriously Monday and Tuesday from the campsite. Cought one 2 1/2 lb trout Tuesday about 11am. Nothing Tuesday. On Tuesday I was getting little nibbles every half hour or so and went for the pole but nothing there. About the 5th time I decided to let it sit and see if whatever's down there would take it hard. It quit and up popped a Coot right where my bait would have been. Haven't had that happen anywere. Since there were about eight coots diving where I was fishing, I decided to hang it up for the day.

Agree with everyone - the water is murky with only about five feet visability, and the boat fishermen didn't seem to be doing well either. My wife walked the dog and reported back that the people she talked to said it was about one or none per boat per day.

Jfitalia
03-14-2013, 04:34 PM
I heard the surface temp is still only 50 degrees as well

Whatever
03-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Was at Collins 2 days ago. Water temp was 53, and there were about 15-20 boats on the lake. I spoke with many of them and saw and heard of only 2 fish boated. We threw everything at 'em, and nothing. What cracks me up is Western Outdoor News reports over 1600 lbs being planted 2 weeks ago, and when we arrived the girl behind the counter said it never happened. I saw only about 30 fish on the finder, and we covered the whole lake.

Jfitalia
03-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Was at Collins 2 days ago. Water temp was 53, and there were about 15-20 boats on the lake. I spoke with many of them and saw and heard of only 2 fish boated. We threw everything at 'em, and nothing. What cracks me up is Western Outdoor News reports over 1600 lbs being planted 2 weeks ago, and when we arrived the girl behind the counter said it never happened. I saw only about 30 fish on the finder, and we covered the whole lake.

According to the Collins website that they DID stock 1600 pounds. In fact they advertised it because they put them in right before the holiday weekend. I had a buddy there during the weekend they stocked the fish and he killed them! Maybe the lady was confused on her dates.

Jfitalia
03-15-2013, 11:39 AM
this is directly from their website. The 27th of Feb would have fallen under the 2 week window.

Fish Planting Log
• Fall/Winter 2012 Trout Plants totaled 8,000 Pounds
• 5,500 Bass, Bluegill & Crappie planted in January, 2013
• 2/14/13: Private Plant – 1,800 Pounds –Including trophy trout
• 2/27/13: Private Plant – 1,800 Pounds –Including trophy trout
• 3/12/13: Private Plant – 1,800 Pounds –Including trophy trout
Updated Weekly
Next Scheduled Private Trout Plant is the week of March 18th -24th, including trophy trout

Whatever
03-15-2013, 11:55 AM
So according to that schedule they planted the day I was there. Unfortunate timing on my part. hard to believe the fishing was so poor, even though you noted water temps and clarity....still should have been plenty of holdovers from the 27th plant. Oh well...it happens. I'll try again this coming week..:wallbash: