PDA

View Full Version : Berkley Grubs

Lifted
02-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Anyone ever used these? The 3" size might be a little large for trout, but I know some people are fans of tube jigs and these are similar (I'm lookin at you Marv). The main reason for asking is I'm a sucker for things on sale and this seems like a good deal:

Cabela's: Berkley® PowerBait® 129-Piece Grub Kit (http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1165525&destination=%2Fcheckout%2Fitem_added_to_cart.jsp%3 Fresult%3Dsuccess%26categoryIds%3D104793480%7C1047 36780%7C104489280%7C%26productId%3D739232%26backTo PreviousUrl%3D%252Fcatalog%252Fproduct.jsp%253Fpro ductId%253D739232%26WTz_l%3DCheckAvailabilityPopup&WTz_l=CWBAB%3BIK-116789)

Jfitalia
02-25-2013, 12:21 PM
That wouldn't be a bad box of grubs for trolling. However if you're looking for jigs to cast I would look at these guys instead.

Mini Jigs - Trout King Lures (http://www.troutkinglures.com/store/mini-jigs/)

Koke Machine83
02-25-2013, 05:09 PM
The 2" and 3" Berkeley Grubs are all we use... They are my favorite Grubs... The Trout at Camanche Love Them!!!

Robbie

Lifted
02-25-2013, 05:13 PM
The 2" and 3" Berkeley Grubs are all we use... They are my favorite Grubs... The Trout at Camanche Love Them!!!

Robbie

Thanks for sharing, good to know! Just a hook, no jig-head or anything? Most people use a dodger with grubs right? How long of a leader between the grub and dodger? Also what size dodger? I'm still pretty new to trolling so hopefully others can learn from these questions too!

Jfitalia
02-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Thanks for sharing, good to know! Just a hook, no jig-head or anything? Most people use a dodger with grubs right? How long of a leader between the grub and dodger? Also what size dodger? I'm still pretty new to trolling so hopefully others can learn from these questions too!

No dodger at all is needed. I use a 4-5ft leader with a size 1 gami straight shank hook. Thread a power egg on and then the grub. I'm sure Robbie will post his picture up of his rigging.

Koke Machine83
02-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Here are a couple of photo's of, how i set up my grubs...

NO DODGERS!!!! Troll them at 1.3 to 1.6 GPS

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh2/kokemachine/IMG_0227_resize.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh2/kokemachine/GrubSetup092211005_resize.jpg

Yes, I use a 5' leader, tied to a size 2 straight wire hook. Use a good Crane Swivel, to help with the line twist. It's ok for it to roll, don't want it spinning fast. I use a 1/8 to 3/8 0z bullet weights to help get it down below the surface. Put a little scent on the grub. I also add a Berkeley Power egg to the front of the grub. You can mix and match different colors to help find the best set up... Good Luck

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

D. Lloyd
02-25-2013, 09:22 PM
Just to chime in if you haven't tried em probably my most used trout plastic is the berekly power minnow 3" usually white or shad pattern. 1/16-1/4oz jig. Deadly on browns and bows. Good luck and "kokemachine" always love the pics of your setup!

PowerBait | Berkley Fishing (http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/soft-bait/powerbait/power-minnow)

allfishing
02-25-2013, 10:52 PM
I fish mine same as "kokemachine" with great sucess at lake amador and pardee aswell.

Koke Machine83
02-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Just a little side note: If you have a Grab and it doesn't stick, Quickly drop the grub back to them, Let out a little line, then let the boat pick up the slack. Most of the time, they will come back and swallow it... Grub fishing can be Fun!!!

Robbie

danweasel
02-26-2013, 04:56 PM
Now that's a hot tip right there. Thanks, Koke!

-Dan

Koke Machine83
02-27-2013, 04:10 PM
Your Welcome.... Good Luck...

Lifted
02-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Your Welcome.... Good Luck...

Thanks, I'm planning a trip to Topaz with my buddies mid-March and will definitely be trying these rigs out. Do you fish these at all depths? We'll be toplining but I'm going to rig one rod with leadcore to get something down low. Also do you follow the old mantra of clear water bright colors, murky water dark colors, or just keep changing until something works?

allfishing
02-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Im a big fan of this method myself! My go to colors are white grub/ char egg black grub/ white egg if ones not working ill switch to the other.

Koke Machine83
02-27-2013, 08:56 PM
Lifted: I have never Fished Topaz, so im not sure what to start with. Usually White or Brown is a great color to start with. You can change the power egg in the front to keep trying something different. I have used the Grubs down as deep as 60' without a dodger. Off the Downriggers. Sometimes the rod is bouncing and i just unclip the grub and the fish will just hammer the falling grub...

If you make it to Topaz, I can't wait for a GRUB Report...

Robbie

Lifted
02-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Lifted: I have never Fished Topaz, so im not sure what to start with. Usually White or Brown is a great color to start with. You can change the power egg in the front to keep trying something different. I have used the Grubs down as deep as 60' without a dodger. Off the Downriggers. Sometimes the rod is bouncing and i just unclip the grub and the fish will just hammer the falling grub...

If you make it to Topaz, I can't wait for a GRUB Report...

Robbie

The only way we won't make it is if it's for some reason frozen over. Last year it was just me and a buddy it and it was our first time trolling ever. We had a 14ft aluminum rental and tied a countdown Rapalas straight to our mainlines. The first day was poor weather but we still got one. The next day we netted 4 in 4 hours and lost 3, all bows. I was using a silver/black Rapala and my buddy a firetiger, and I probably got 2-3 more hits. This year we'll be trying all sorts of grubs, threaded worms behind a dodger or flasher, Rapalas, Needlefish, flatfish, plastics and everything else I've bought since then lol. The one thing I don't have and want to try is hoochies. I'll have to order to some since it's still 3 weeks away. I guess I have to stock up on a few more colors of power eggs too.