PDA

View Full Version : power bait question

bass_newb
02-26-2013, 11:53 AM
How long does the power bait/ dough stuff last? I went to amador last week and couldn't get a bite on any of my power bait, the power bait that I was using was from last year, some maybe two years.

Does it go bad after awhile and lose its efficiency? I still have about half of the dough bait in each container and I dont want to throw em out if they can still catch a fish.

What are your guys experiences/thoughts?

Marv
02-26-2013, 12:27 PM
How long does the power bait/ dough stuff last? I went to amador last week and couldn't get a bite on any of my power bait, the power bait that I was using was from last year, some maybe two years.

Does it go bad after awhile and lose its efficiency? I still have about half of the dough bait in each container and I dont want to throw em out if they can still catch a fish.

I have some that I use that has a rusty metal lid. If I had to guess i'd say it's about 15 years old and it works fine.

Sometimes you have to chock it up to the fact that it wasn't your day.

shadbuster
02-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Yeah I have some of that glass jar metal lid stuff myself and some pretty old plastic jar PB, seems to work fine for me

hanahou7
02-26-2013, 12:45 PM
I haven't had any problems with my PB that is about 5-6 yrs old. The only reason I buy new jars is because I go to the fishing store and they have bright shiny posters that say "New! Gulp has 62% stronger smell" blah blah blah and I tell myself "OMG I have to buy it!"

I think your PB is fine, just have to find the fish and hope they're hungry.

Cali Duck
02-26-2013, 12:46 PM
I prefer freshly opened powerbait to older stuff just because its easier to mold and stays on the hook longer. Just my 2 cents..

Jetspray
02-26-2013, 12:58 PM
How long does the power bait/ dough stuff last?

Does it go bad after awhile and lose its efficiency?

Thing is if you keep it in a cool area with the lid closed tightly it will last a very long time. It is not like gells and liquids that you need to keep in your garage fridge is it gets hot. I use powerbait to keep my Gulp on the line and it is quite old. I'm just sayin'.......Jetspray

FresnoJack
02-26-2013, 02:40 PM
I agree with Blurry - a fresh jar stays on better.

My experience is that an opened jar does lose its attraction.. I pretty much change out one season to the next.

I prefer freshly opened powerbait to older stuff just because its easier to mold and stays on the hook longer. Just my 2 cents..

sja
02-26-2013, 07:11 PM
I've found that pb older than a year or so tends to take on a rubber texture..... making difficult to mold on the hook. As far as scent...... seems to work..... (when the fish are biting.):signfishon34hi6zv:

CAL.NDN
02-26-2013, 07:40 PM
If it still feels the same and molds the same its still good.

oldgeezer71
02-26-2013, 08:17 PM
I pretty much agree with all of the posts. I have found that keeping the lid tight and not let it sit in the air for a long period of time (forgetting to put the lid on between baiting, even) will extend it's life. As someone stated, when it becomes rubbery, I toss it and buy new.

redneckpunk
02-26-2013, 10:19 PM
You'll know by the texture when its no longer any good. It starts to feel rubbery and wont mold into shape. Like others I have a couple jars that are several years old and still good

~RNP

bass_newb
02-27-2013, 01:13 AM
I believe I do have some rubbery and dry ones, not only that but the color is fading?!?! haha, I have one that went from chartreuse to yellow... must be really bad. I think I left it out in the sun too long during my fishing trips.

Anyways, I appreciate all your responses and help. Thank You.

CATKILLER
02-27-2013, 05:43 AM
I have found that the older stuff will not hold on the hook as well and i tryed one rod
with old and one with new, the new out fished the old 3 to 1 on 3 trips. Mixing to two
seem to help out the holding problem and seem to catch fish fine.

Catkiller :bananadevil:

Jetspray
02-27-2013, 05:50 AM
The hardened up stuff makes great chum, like old salmon eggs. Even the birds like it most of the time. Marshmellows as well. I say just let them have the old stuff, maybe they'll get old themselves:grin::grin::grin:.......Jetspray