PDA

View Full Version : a very windy bday at camanche 2/26

Jfitalia
02-26-2013, 02:17 PM
well i launched at the north ramp at 7am and headed towards hat. i rounded the corner and hit a brick wall of wind. once i got too hat i did what robbie had recommended and dropped a spoon down to 20ft and threw a rapala out on the planer board. from there i started looking for pods of fish. I've only been to the k lake once before so i wasn't sure where to go. with the wind pounding me i took shelter in the causeway. i spent an hour there for 0 fish. i marked fish but they wouldn't hit.

i decided to brave the wind and try the buoy line. i made 3 passes for nothing nor did i see anything on the sonar. so i pulled the lines in and went back to the causeway. i held tight to the shore and finally the planer board went off around 1030. that would end up being the only hit for me. finally decided I'd had enough of the wind at noon and headed home.

lures: excel spoons, needle fish, krocodiles, raps
only fish came on a J7 firetiger at 2.2mph
speed: 1.8-2.8
depth: surface too 27ft.

Stretch
02-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Hey that down rigger looks familiar!!! Nice mount job!! The narrows are a good place to get out of the wind at Camanche but it can be a long ride in a small boat.

dabalone
02-26-2013, 03:48 PM
Never targeted trout at Comanche but one year in March we were jig fishing some humps in the dam area and I kept seeing surface activity. Tied on a 1/2 ounce silver rat l trap and tossed it out, the trout were fighting over it, I caught about three pretty quickly and then went back to bass fishing. Just a thought.

Jfitalia
02-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Hey that down rigger looks familiar!!! Nice mount job!! The narrows are a good place to get out of the wind at Camanche but it can be a long ride in a small boat.

man i love that downrigger! i wanted to try the narrows, but after 4 hours i didn't want to make the long boat ride

Koke Machine83
02-26-2013, 04:22 PM
I was at work today, thinking, man i hope he didn't go to Camanche... It gets UGLY out there when the wind comes up. Even in our Bigger Boats. You are a tough Birthday Boy!! That Causeway arm is a great place to get out of the wind. You still have to go back to the marina. Glad your Safe. One fish is better than no fish...

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

Jfitalia
02-26-2013, 04:55 PM
I was at work today, thinking, man i hope he didn't go to Camanche... It gets UGLY out there when the wind comes up. Even in our Bigger Boats. You are a tough Birthday Boy!! That Causeway arm is a great place to get out of the wind. You still have to go back to the marina. Glad your Safe. One fish is better than no fish...

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

you know robbie i almost turned into Amador cause of the wind. however that place is like my crutch and i vowed to try other lakes this year. my goal is to spend more time at Collins, camamche and Berry this year.
I'll try and plan my next trip there when its not a full moon.

CAL.NDN
02-26-2013, 08:15 PM
Hey happy bday JF.

Koke Machine83
02-27-2013, 04:08 PM
Jeremy: Next time i have a Open seat, you will be the first to Know... I will get you on to some fish at Camanche... Grubs or Spoons or Rapalas Which ever you perfer...

Robbie

Line Stretcher
02-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Just to set the record straight, I've never fished Camanche. I was trying to last year but never made it.

Anyway, up at Eagle Lake, when the wind comes up most guys head in but I get right in the trough and topline. It's a rough ride but it always seems to be productive.

HookedForLife
02-27-2013, 04:50 PM
Just to set the record straight, I've never fished Camanche. I was trying to last year but never made it.

Anyway, up at Eagle Lake, when the wind comes up most guys head in but I get right in the trough and topline. It's a rough ride but it always seems to be productive.

I realize that this thread is about Camanche, which I fish occasionally, but I just wanted to say that I was at Eagle Lake a few years ago and trolled for a long time with no luck. Then, the wind came up in the afternoon, so we couldn't troll anymore because it was too rough. We decided to drift fish with the wind rather than fight it and limited out on nice trout using nightcrawlers below a swivel with egg sinker above the swivel. A pleasant surprise, for sure!!! I'm pretty sure this method is called "mooching".