PDA

View Full Version : ICR - Open For Businss.

Captain Compassion
02-26-2013, 04:51 PM
Last fished Indian Creek Res. in December. Snow and ice closed it up the last day I was there. Nights have remained cold but days have warmed some as of late and there has been a little wind. Perhaps the ice is gone and the road clear.

Picked up Jetspray at 0645 and headed up 88. The dirt road from Diamond Valley was dry and clear. Arrived at the lake at 0715. The temp was in the low 20s. The sky clear and blue and the winds soft from the east. ICR was mostly clear of ice except for some in the south and a 5 foot rim on the shore. There was no one else there. Dave and I fished from the shore down new the tube launch until 1145. We brought 3 fish to the shore. The first was a fat 4# fish that was my biggest out of ICR in over a year. One of the others was a very pretty 16 inch hold over bow. All fish were caught on green Gulp. The water is still cold but perhaps in a few weeks it will warm some and action will improve. Thanks for hanging with me Dave. Nice to have another fishing option open in the area. It was a wonderful day.

CC

Up 88
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/022613-01.jpg

ICR in Good Shape
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/022613-02.jpg

Dave Gets Ready
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/022613-03.jpg

4# Fatty
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/022613-04.jpg

Little Guy
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/022613-05.jpg

ICR Glass
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/022613-06.jpg

Tune Guy
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/022613-07.jpg

Nice Holdover Bow
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/022613-08.jpg

It Should Get Better From Here
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/022613-09.jpg

RideNfish
02-26-2013, 06:31 PM
Very nice! Another lake I haven't been to. Those are some quality fish that you caught.

Cheers,

Marv
02-26-2013, 06:37 PM
Nice fish Captain & CO. Looks beautiful with the snow and all. Thats a sweet tail on that holdover.

Captain Compassion
02-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Very nice! Another lake I haven't been to. Those are some quality fish that you caught.

You were within 4 miles. :)

CC

iggybabble
02-26-2013, 09:32 PM
fantastic report.......and a lake to yourselves! priceless.

crazyfisher
02-26-2013, 11:38 PM
great pictures, love the ICR glass picture...that should be a post card. Good job with the fish :)

Jetspray
02-27-2013, 06:02 AM
great pictures, love the ICR glass picture...that should be a post card. Good job with the fish :)

Me too, there were a couple of tube fishermen out and Richard captured one quite well. I told him that was as good as it gets, wind comes up around 11 there most days........Jetspray

Lifted
02-27-2013, 10:10 AM
ICR is bittersweet for me. Of course it's beautiful and it's also the first place I went when getting back into fishing a few years ago, but it also taught me to do it right... I had a NV license and thought I could play dumb since I knew I was close to the border. The warden was very friendly, but had no problem writing me up for a $475 ticket, but at least he let me keep fishing. On top of that it was a skunk =( Though as some sniffers would say, "I saw a bald eagle so it was a good day." lol. Does the bald eagle still live there? I need to go back there one day for some redemption. Thanks for sharing CC.

Captain Compassion
02-27-2013, 10:48 AM
Lifted. Baldy was there yesterday. He/she wasn't flying but was sitting in the usual tree on the NW shore of the lake. The warden frequents the lake a lot because there is not many places else for him to check this time of year.

CC

Lifted
02-27-2013, 11:32 AM
Lifted. Baldy was there yesterday. He/she wasn't flying but was sitting in the usual tree on the NW shore of the lake. The warden frequents the lake a lot because there is not many places else for him to check this time of year.

CC

Good to hear, quite a majestic bird. That would be cool to see him/her do some fishing. I'm glad the warden is up there cuz I know I'll never be caught without a license again! The ticket ended up being $357 and it pains me to think of all the gear I could have bought, but I have a history of learning the hard way (especially if it's a result of being ignorant and stupid). Has Alpine County for CA DFW planted up there yet this year?

Captain Compassion
02-27-2013, 11:57 AM
Good to hear, quite a majestic bird. That would be cool to see him/her do some fishing. I'm glad the warden is up there cuz I know I'll never be caught without a license again! The ticket ended up being $357 and it pains me to think of all the gear I could have bought, but I have a history of learning the hard way (especially if it's a result of being ignorant and stupid). Has Alpine County for CA DFW planted up there yet this year?

DFG stocked last in October of last year. I remember that because there was 3 eagles and as many ospreys feeding heavily. Alpine County last stocked on or about December 13 of last year. The access to these fish closed down shortly after the stocking so there should be lots of jumbos swimming around. I believe that the 4# fish was from this stock. The small bow was from the October stock and the 16 in holdover was from a DFG stock last spring or early summer. Sometime in May the DFG should dump some excess brood cutts from the Heenan hatchery.

CC

Jetspray
02-27-2013, 02:15 PM

The Califeenia out-of-state lic is less than $140 unless you get the 2 rod stamp, I think it is well worth it because CC and I do so many trips up 88 every year. Small price to pay for enjoyment at least I don"t have to pay income taxes in Califeenia anymore:grin::grin::grin:.......Jetspray

Lifted
02-27-2013, 04:48 PM
The Califeenia out-of-state lic is less than $140 unless you get the 2 rod stamp, I think it is well worth it because CC and I do so many trips up 88 every year. Small price to pay for enjoyment at least I don"t have to pay income taxes in Califeenia anymore:grin::grin::grin:.......Jetspray

Haha with what you save in taxes the CA license is essentially free! Now that I live in CA the annual is cheap and the NV out of state is like $75 I wanna say. Last year it worked out well, I got my NV license before I officially became as CA resident, so I got resident prices for both. Don't know if the NV warden would've liked that, but I never actually came across one last year. Regardless fishing without a license is a stupid idea.

Back to the thread... if they release cutt brood stock there will definitely be some bruisers lurking in there! Have they ever considered planting brook trout to see they could create a spawning population? Seems like a good spot for it.

saizo
02-27-2013, 06:02 PM
Nice looking fish CC. Great pictures as always.

Captain Compassion
02-27-2013, 06:30 PM
Have they ever considered planting brook trout to see they could create a spawning population? Seems like a good spot for it.

The answer is yes they did. Back in early February of 2011 ICR was breafly free of ice and Alpine County stocked a truck load of Brookies from the private hatchery. It is my guess that the water was too cold and the vast majority of the fish died. The lake froze and when I got there there were all those beautiful 1 and 2 pound Brookies dead below a sheet of ice. I cried. :(

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/020411-03.jpg

Now no fish can be stocked in ICR unless they are triploid or LCT.

CC

Lifted
02-27-2013, 07:20 PM
The answer is yes they did. Back in early February of 2011 ICR was breafly free of ice and Alpine County stocked a truck load of Brookies from the private hatchery. It is my guess that the water was too cold and the vast majority of the fish died. The lake froze and when I got there there were all those beautiful 1 and 2 pound Brookies dead below a sheet of ice. I cried. :(

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/020411-03.jpg

Now no fish can be stocked in ICR unless they are triploid or LCT.

CC

Wow that's really sad. If I'm ever in need of a career change I want to go back to school to be a fisheries biologist. Strange that holdovers can survive below the ice but the brookies didn't make it. It really does make me sad looking at that picture =( I'm assuming "Now no fish can be stocked in ICR unless they are triploid or LCT." is referring to the CA mandate that only sterile or native fish be stocked?

Captain Compassion
02-27-2013, 07:33 PM
I'm assuming "Now no fish can be stocked in ICR unless they are triploid or LCT." is referring to the CA mandate that only sterile or native fish be stocked?

Yes. ICR is in the Carson River dranage. LCT are native to these waters. I suspect that the water temp in the stocking truck was too high and the near freezing ICR water caused some type of thermal shock. I did see one nice brookie caught in early spring so I suspect a few survived.

CC

CAL.NDN
02-27-2013, 08:42 PM
Couple years ago i got a hawg 28" right next to the tree the bald eagle lives in good luck.birds for me. Capt browns live in there i have caught a few before couple years ago may 2011.

Captain Compassion
02-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Couple years ago i got a hawg 28" right next to the tree the bald eagle lives in good luck.birds for me. Capt browns live in there i have caught a few before couple years ago may 2011.

In the fall of 2009 they brought in truck loads of browns. Caught a lot of nice ones including a 5# 25 inch fish. No more browns. :( Caught some nice trout below the "eagle tree" myself.

CC

CAL.NDN
02-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Nice yea i got a few them.browns i guess in 2011 nice ones :) 2009 2010 we got some real decent bows 25-26-27 inchers and some nice average 3 to 4#rs. Me and friend got two 28 inchers twins in 2011 mine buck his hen but his hen weighed a pound more. Miss that lake haven't been up since. Hit the carson last couple times up that way. Need get back up before rivers open and i cant pull my self away to go to icr. Good luck up there hope ya get some hawgs.

Jetspray
02-28-2013, 05:52 AM
Nice yea i got a few them.browns i guess in 2011 nice ones :) 2009 2010 we got some real decent bows 25-26-27 inchers and some nice average 3 to 4#rs. Me and friend got two 28 inchers twins in 2011 mine buck his hen but his hen weighed a pound more. Miss that lake haven't been up since. Hit the carson last couple times up that way. Need get back up before rivers open and i cant pull my self away to go to icr. Good luck up there hope ya get some hawgs.

It is always a fun day, most of what we catch there are returned to the waters. I have kept a few in the past to smoke, but they were recent plants and not long termers or holdovers. Pulling yourself away from responsiblities is not good for those who support my retirement, keep on working, keep on working, keep on working:hypnodisk::alien::D:D:D.........Jetspray

CAL.NDN
02-28-2013, 07:21 AM
Lmao k im hypnotized and heading to work.

iggybabble
02-28-2013, 09:57 AM
a buddy and i got a few of those nice Browns in 2009, i landed a couple decent ones on flies, and missed a bunch due to my inexperience with tossing fur N feathers. snagged (accidentally, and released) a brown that went around 26-28 inches on a small spinner, and saw tons of big browns milling around in 1-3 feet of water along the weedbeds near where everybody parks near the dam. i didnt know about the Brookies, what a shame!