PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong? Seriously....

vdub
02-28-2013, 01:35 PM
Alright guys, I've been trout fishing now for about 10 years and I must admit, I've never been wildly successful at it and just always assumed it was bad luck, but now I have to start thinking I'm doing something wrong. Since moving back from SoCal 2 years ago I haven't had the motivation to go out and fish as often as before since the results would be a lot different than the kind of trophies I was finding in tropical waters, but now I'm starting to thirst for the hookups again.

All that aside, in the last 5 weeks I've been completely skunked. 1 of these weeks, I fished alongside someone at Del Valle using an inflated nightcrawler (the same thing he was using) and watched him catch 4 trout, while I sat there for 5 hours without a bite. I fished Quarry Lakes twice and both times the following report stated good fishing EXACTLY where I was fishing, but I came out with 1 bite from 2 trips. Now, last weekend I was at Chabot, because I had a feeling trout fishing would pick up there soon, and according to the report, it did, except for me of course. I soaked for 5 hours without a single bite.

What I have tried:
-inflated night crawlers, small and large
-double double chart PB
-green pumpkin PB
-salmon peach PB
-white garlic eggs
-rainbow garlic eggs
-lemon lime eggs
-orange eggs
-chart power worms
-make shift mouse tails with the powerworm and 1 egg
-I've tried the eggs in 2 and 3 format strings.

The gear:
Rod 1: 6 lb spectra, 1/4 oz, bead, swivel, 4 lb fluro, #14 treble
Rod 2: 6 lb spectra, 3/8 oz, bead, swivel, 6 lb fluro, #6 octopus

Leaders have varied from 18" to 30"

Any advice/help will be greatly appreciated because this is getting absolutely ridiculous.

IRISHANGLER01
02-28-2013, 02:17 PM
for lake fishing a sliding sinker rig is a good bet from the bank. I always use a 4-5' leader when fishing and it has worked quite well at most lakes that I fish. Try using power eggs in chartreuse ,pink or orange and make sure the bait floats before casting out. I have seen guys use 3 and 4 eggs on a hook but my preference is 2. A #6 gamakatsu octopus will hold two power eggs and float. Just keep going to the places that the reports are saying are producing fish and eventually you will get 'em. hope this helps a bit.

KokeNut
02-28-2013, 02:18 PM
vdub,
I would try using scents to hide the human odor thing and 3' off the bottom or top. Throw some lures, plugs and spoons also. Just my 2cents worth.:trout:

dabalone
02-28-2013, 02:28 PM
I don't think you are doing much wrong, sometimes bad streaks happen. I would suggest a couple things next time out, try different depths or even try tossing some hardware at them. Make sure you are not contaminating your bait, hand lotion, bug spray, sun block etc. Otherwise probably just unlucky streak and loss of confidence.

Marv
02-28-2013, 03:02 PM
Sounds like your doing it right. Try a ''water bobber" with a 4' leader to a wooly bugger or a small plastic like trout worms, mini jigs, and even live worms. cast out and reel it in slow. Also if you pick up a gold 1/4oz. kastmaster and cast away while the bait is soaking.

Don't get to worried about the smells on your hand. About an hour before I caught my biggest catfish ever, I spilled gas on my hand while filling the boat, then sprayed on the bug spray and suntan lotion, all while smoking a cigarette. I wouldn't recommend doing that, but it worked that day.

If you start to throw lures you'll notice that lures usually out fish bait. Not always, but most of the time, because your actively searching for the fish, not waiting for fish to find you. I know some people can't do lures due to certain conditions, but if you can I highly suggest it. Good luck!

PapaGreg
02-28-2013, 03:11 PM
vdub, same thing happened to me earlier this year, using the same set-ups, (shoot, I even tied one up for a guy and he caught fish and i didn't), and guys on both sides of me catching fish while i didn't even get a bite! Lately, things have changed. I was at Amador today and catching fish, but the guys on either side of me were skunked! I believe it's just a case of being in the right place at the right time, don't give up, good luck!

vdub
02-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Thanks guys, just making sure i'm not doing anything ridiculously wrong....

Mr_Clean1979
02-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Use some Mikes Garlic Oil scent on what you are using (Green). Works for me...

hanahou7
02-28-2013, 04:17 PM
I've found that changing the leader length to a shorter one (about 2' max) has worked for me. Maybe try to fish a couple days before a Full Moon, and a couple before/ after a New Moon? I've had good luck around those times.

Like everyone else said, try masking human scent with dips or trout attractants. Don't be afraid of casting out some 1/4oz Panter Martins, Mepps Spinners, or Kastmasters either.

Captain Compassion
02-28-2013, 04:32 PM
Try Chart Berkley Gulp dough. Fish 12 inches above a sliding sinker. Use a #16 or #18 treble. Only use enough dough to cover the hook completely and the bait floats. You never know.

CC

49erbassman
02-28-2013, 06:09 PM
The only thing I have to offer is lime twist power bait. It out fishes all other colors for me

Sent from my iPhone

CAL.NDN
02-28-2013, 07:17 PM
Try keeping your casts close to bank and your leader long. Keep the bait up towards top of the water. Good luck.

ncreys
02-28-2013, 07:44 PM
I spilled gas on my hand while filling the boat, then sprayed on the bug spray and suntan lotion, all while smoking a cigarette.

i think they did a scene like that in the movie "Jack ass". :sherlock:

redneckpunk
02-28-2013, 09:50 PM
A lot of great advise and I'll add my own. For me personally I have had no success with treble hooks, as a result, if its not attached to my lures (or meant to be) you wont find them in my gear. If fishing within a couple days of a plant, use Hatchery Pellet PB its the same color as the food they get in hatcheries. Leader length depends on the depth the fish are biting at and needs to be adjusted accordingly. One of my goto bait combos is 1/2 a nightcrawler, inflated (tricky to keep air in) with enough PB to keep it suspended.

And when nothing else works, break out the big guns...start eating your lunch. Never fails for me, as soon as my attention is turned to something else BAM!!

~RNP

tonsofun
03-01-2013, 04:07 AM
My go to if its really slow is a hunk of night crawler tipped withone or two salmon eggs.unddr a bobber. Seems to catch a little bit bigger fish to me. Gokd luck and keep at it

Hookem2004
03-01-2013, 09:32 AM
When bank fishing you want to make sure your bait floats off the bottom. So yes, use a 3 -4 foot leader and make sure the line is not too heavy where the bait isn't able to lift the line. I generally use a 2 -4 lb leader. Power bait tipped with a night crawler is a good combo. Or just straight power bait.

I also use a single hook #6 or #8 for bait fishing.

Good luck.

skyhigh
03-01-2013, 01:45 PM
I can't see much if anything wrong with your setup and bait. I would venture to assume that it was just bad timing. It is pretty hard to get skunked fishing for hatchery trout if you time the plant. I would advise you research plant time and location. I like the day of or the day after plan it according to good intel and you won't get skunked.

Bainter1212
03-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Sometimes, crap happens brother. A couple weeks ago, I kayak fished Slab Creek with Insearchofish. We were both trolling the exact same rigs, at the same speed, same bait, same leader length and everything else. Exact same spots! He caught 11 and I caught 1! It drove me batty.

dabalone
03-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Sometimes, crap happens brother. A couple weeks ago, I kayak fished Slab Creek with Insearchofish. We were both trolling the exact same rigs, at the same speed, same bait, same leader length and everything else. Exact same spots! He caught 11 and I caught 1! It drove me batty.

LOL. My son does that to me on just about every thing we fish for, taught that kid too good, except when we get the flyrods out, then its his turn to squeal a little. Bainter has it right and why the OP is getting all these replies, I would bet everyone who posted can relate and has been there.

Leon Fish
03-01-2013, 03:58 PM
lol. would you rather be good or lucky ;)

Jetspray
03-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Don't know what to tell ya, I fished ICR and Topaz for zippo both days, I have the skunk juju on my head. I guess I will need to take drastic action next time, maybe a cattle prod or a ranger looking over my shoulder would work:mind-blowing::nzd6ot::tit::skunk29gc::skunk29gc::skunk2 9gc:.......Jetspray

FresnoJack
03-01-2013, 07:03 PM
Berkley makes Erase Odor Killer that eliminates scents that can spook fish. I have used it for years to wash me hands, leaders and lures

My fishing buddy washes his hands with tooth paste and swears by it.

As others have mentioned, try a lure such as a Kastmaster that imitates a shad or other bait fish. My go to color is blue/chrome. Alternate fast-slow retrieve until you find what the fish want.

I like to stop reeling and let the lure drop.

Casting bubble and fly or soft plastic. Look back at posts from RideNfish who has mastered this technique.

I don't think you are doing much wrong, sometimes bad streaks happen. I would suggest a couple things next time out, try different depths or even try tossing some hardware at them. Make sure you are not contaminating your bait, hand lotion, bug spray, sun block etc. Otherwise probably just unlucky streak and loss of confidence.

iggybabble
03-02-2013, 10:09 AM
id consider fishing one rod with bait, be it PB, crawlers, salmon eggs....and on a second rod fish something like a Kastmaster, Thomas Buoyant, Jakes Spin a Lure, or a fly and water bobber. if guys nearby are catching and your not, watch the small details. different bottom contour, or depth, are they casting longer or shorter than you are, are they using a totally different bait or lure, if fishing lures or flies, are they retrieving at a different speed? day in and day out, on a decent sized reasonable depth lake, i like a 1/4 oz Gold or Gold/Red lure, the three that i mentioned above are my go to lures, this weight allows good casting distance with 4-6 lb line, so you cover the maximum amount of water. keep fishing, it sounds like your doing it right, and we all do have slow fishing streaks...

Treebeard
03-02-2013, 08:01 PM
There's so much good advice above my post that I hesitate to add mine, but here's a couple things that help me. I bank-fish, usually bait - night crawlers. I used to just toss my line off a bare spool - no pole, no reel... but that's not the tip, here... the point is that I never was able to toss out as far as my buddy next to me could cast, but I often caught more fish. That tells me that there are times when going out too far misses the fish.

Put that together with this: in mountain lakes, I get far more fish just as the sun slips below the horizon. Could it be that the larger fish are less afraid to be in shallower water after sunset? No eagles flying around...

It gets cold out there after sunset, though! But that's my "try this": at dusk, not too far from shore. Bring a buddy and lots of extra light so you get back to the vehicle safely!

TB

alexdesignz
03-03-2013, 09:26 AM
I kind of get skunked most of the time too. One day last year the fish were 4 feet from shore and 3 guys kept pulling them in. I tried everything and could get a bite. I used the same setup as them too.

Marv
03-03-2013, 09:54 AM
When fishing for stocker they are always close to the bank the first few day. Most times on most lakes a 10'-20' flip cast will do you right. Like Treebeard said, sometimes a bomber cast can put you past the fish. If you do a bomber cast, reel it in 10' at ah time and let it sit for 10 minutes, notice what distance your bites are coming from and fire back out there.

I have some skunks too, it happens to ALL of us. If you never skunked you would have multi million $$$$ sponsorship deals, and have lures and rods named after you. Even the pro's how get payed the big bucks skunk out. Keep you confidence up, not sure how or why,but the fish can feel your lack of confidence through the line :) FISH DON'T CARE WHAT YOU SMELL LIKE, ONLY THE PEOPLE THAT SELL THE STUFF :) PEOPLE SAY WASH YOUR HANDS TO REMOVE CIGARETTE SMOKE, AND OTHER SMELLS, LOL. SOME FISH WILL EAT A CIGARETTE BUTTS :)

CAL.NDN
03-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Try non filter cigarettes works for me.

miko733
03-03-2013, 05:30 PM
The greatest success criteria is go to where the fishing is good currently. I have fished for 40 years and fish with 2 rods. This allows me to cast shot and long with different baits. I'll go to mountain lakes or a local lake depending on the season. i have a boat but prefer to fish from shore. I may us the boat to go to points that are a long walks. Less fishing pressure. Last 5 trips ,5 week days, 4 trips (san pablo, del valle, shadow cliff, amador) lousy and one great trip to amador. Got 16 trout (17-20") w my friends from shore.
If you don't mind going further try frenchmans or davis lake. We have been fishing there for 5 years with consistent limits of fish from 13 to 18". Trout taste great. Early and late part of the season cast normal distance. Summer cast FAR.. A short rod isn't good. We use 8 1/2' light spinning rods w 1/2 oz to go 35 yards during the summer. I our interested let me know and I'll give u more details.
I fish gull, davis , eagle, almanor, amador, san pablo, del valle, shadow cliff, chabot, frenchmans , grant, gull, mary, george, and convict for trout. I get current updates from my friends and check the various web sites for current fishing conditions. I'm a memeber of two fishing clubs to get advice.

vdub
03-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Appreciate the help guys, just had a morning run at quarry today with the same result. Threw nightcrawlers, pumpkin PB, peach salmon PB, white garlic eggs, rainbow garlic eggs, and chart glitter out there for nada.

Miko, I've been thinking about this for a while too, and I think I may be casting way too far. It's been tough sledding for me this season guys, but I'll keep truckin away.

TroutGhost
03-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Rod 1: 6 lb spectra, 1/4 oz, bead, swivel, 4 lb fluro, #14 treble

No need for treble. Just adds weight to the rig. Did you toss your rig in to see if it is floating? A size 14 light wire hook will float really well. But you can upsize that if you want. Bring a set of hooks from size 14 to size 6, light wire, rig them up to the above combination, and see if they float. Let them sit there a few minutes to see if they start sinking after awhile or if they don't float at all.

Rod 2: 6 lb spectra, 3/8 oz, bead, swivel, 6 lb fluro, #6 octopus

A heavy weight will help you chunk the bait out epic distances but it will pull the bait out of a fish's mouth or else work against you. Also, as has already been mentioned, many fish are actually fairly close in. So a 3/8 oz weight is overkill because it can pull the bait out of the fish's mouth or it will help you cast the bait way out to where there are no fish.

As noted above, make sure your #6 octopus hook rig is floating your bait.

Good luck!

vdub
03-04-2013, 08:10 AM
Troutghost,

I'm going to take a step down on the weights for each of the rods next time. Also forgot to clarify for everyone, I check my bait everytime prior to a cast, and from what I can tell, it always floats.

Thanks again for all the advice guys!

WesternStriper
03-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Also carry kastmaster lure. I never use them until I found a box full of kastmaster and thinking it might be this good to buy so much. Finally took one out to use in pardee and the fish couldn't resist it.

Mr. Hotsauce
03-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Went up to union valley reservoir this past saturday with the little family. The action was pretty good there. Fish was hitting right away. Wasnt even able to set up my second rod with all the action going on. One of my favorite bait that I use regularly is the ball Gulp chartruese colored. If there's fish they'll most likely bite. #4 pound test leader line 3-4 feet long. 8'6 and 8'8 feet rods casting out quite a bit. Good luck on you next trip.

bulbob
03-12-2013, 02:15 PM
You could always cheat and use a bullet bobber so your bait or lure is where it needs to be longer, in the water!

vdub
03-25-2013, 08:25 AM
Time to revive this thread for a little bit with an update.

Since the death of this thread, I've taken all of the advice from everyone and I have gone out on 3 trips. Chabot, Quarry, and then Del valle this past weekend.

Each trip, I fished roughly 6AM-11AM, weekends after plants.

Casted varying distances, most of which were close. Inflated nightcrawlers, different sized powerbait balls, green pumpkin, rainbow, white garlic eggs, rainbow garlic eggs, chart glitter. Bobbed a night crawler from the top, sliding sinker rig, dropper loop drop shot.

3 trips, roughly 15 or so hours, and 0 bites. I understand bad runs, I've had them before, this is a BAD run. Not landing fish is one thing, not even getting bites is another. I'm seriously ready to believe there's something wrong. The roughest trip was this past saturday when I watched someone get 6 hits next to me on an inflated nightcrawler. He didnt land a fish, but like I just mentioned, that's not even the point anymore. I'm ready to give up trout fishing because I've always been successful catching other things, but trout have become my "unicorn"

Marv
03-25-2013, 08:41 AM
I can tell you a couple things you may need to focus on.

1. Try different lakes. All the ones you fish can and do have hot times for the most part those lakes are not consistent. Try to hit up some of the mother load lakes. Bank chances getting slimmer with this warm weather we're having.

Confidence. Just like women the fish can feel that doubt you have :) before you leave put on the Rocky training song and shadow box for a minute. know in your head your gonna get some.

sutterduckhunter
03-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Maybe you need to change your brands of shampoo and soap? Maybe laundry detergent...? Maybe a new girlfriend? Buy a new truck? Something will help, not sure what. Thats a good run of bad luck.

wearegods1
03-25-2013, 06:23 PM
for my 2 cents. Planter trout are used to eating small pellets. So I would use only 1 power egg or a smaller piece of power bait than what comes in nuggetts. I also will leave the hooktips clear. That way if a fish picks it up but does not swallow it, you have a much better chance of hooking it. Also, I used just enough weight to make sure I hit bottom. That way it sinks much slower. I usually will get bit on the fall. If I don't get a bite withing 10 mins, I cast back out.
I don't know if this is legal but throwing a handful of pea gravel out before you cast will immitate feeding. you might catch a few trout will small rocks in its guts though. Please PM me back if this method is illegal. Don't see anything in the regs about throwing small rocks. Its not chumming.
Another thing. I have not fished from shore in years. This was an old method. All about the boat now.

Lifted
03-25-2013, 07:16 PM
Time to revive this thread for a little bit with an update.

Since the death of this thread, I've taken all of the advice from everyone and I have gone out on 3 trips. Chabot, Quarry, and then Del valle this past weekend.

Each trip, I fished roughly 6AM-11AM, weekends after plants.

Casted varying distances, most of which were close. Inflated nightcrawlers, different sized powerbait balls, green pumpkin, rainbow, white garlic eggs, rainbow garlic eggs, chart glitter. Bobbed a night crawler from the top, sliding sinker rig, dropper loop drop shot.

3 trips, roughly 15 or so hours, and 0 bites. I understand bad runs, I've had them before, this is a BAD run. Not landing fish is one thing, not even getting bites is another. I'm seriously ready to believe there's something wrong. The roughest trip was this past saturday when I watched someone get 6 hits next to me on an inflated nightcrawler. He didnt land a fish, but like I just mentioned, that's not even the point anymore. I'm ready to give up trout fishing because I've always been successful catching other things, but trout have become my "unicorn"

I would agree on trying out some different locations. I'm caught plenty of fish in the past few years that I've taken up trout fishing again, but I've been to Chabot twice, Quarry Lakes once, & Shadow Cliffs once and the only bite I've had all those times was a bass I hooked on a firetiger kastmaster fishing off the dock. Just because they stock those lakes doesn't mean it's easy to catch them or they're always feeding. If you get a chance go up to one of the sierra lakes this summer and all the techniques you mentioned will surely work. Out of the Bay Area lakes I've had the most success at San Pablo. I caught fish both trips, though the first was the opener and the second trip was much slower (only 1 fish but good size).

dabalone
03-25-2013, 07:17 PM
Try bowling maybe? JK. Try this, walk away from your rod and while facing away pretend you are taking a leak, if you can't get a bite while doing this I don't know what to tell you.

Treebeard
03-26-2013, 01:20 AM
Try bowling maybe? JK. Try this, walk away from your rod and while facing away pretend you are taking a leak, if you can't get a bite while doing this I don't know what to tell you.

Along that line of thinking, I remember several backpacking/camping trips where we played cards at lakeside while fishing - Hearts, I think it was. You guessed it, the bites didn't come between hands - it wasn't until all the cards were dealt and everbody had their hands full, ready to play the hand.

They know when you're thinking about them... You know that they know you're thinking about them... but maybe they don't know when you know that they know you're thinking about them?
:129fs238648:
TB

bankaroos
03-26-2013, 07:46 AM
If you're bottom fishing let your bait soak. Stop changing your bait as much, let it soak.
Just my 2 cents

LURKER916
03-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Panther Martins or kastmasters.

Or just give up. Start playing golf or scrap booking.

wearegods1
03-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Don't give up. Got to have confidence in what you are doing. Book a trip with a guide to get a boost to your confidence. This year we, as guides, are having to work a little harder than usual. Trout, Kokanee, and LL Kings are on and off again. Nothing like last couple years.
fishinjames.com

vdub
03-27-2013, 06:35 AM
If you're bottom fishing let your bait soak. Stop changing your bait as much, let it soak.
Just my 2 cents

you don't want to try me in golf, and i can scrapbook any of you into the ground!

Nor*Cal
03-27-2013, 09:44 AM
I am in no means an expert but I believe I may have a solution to your problem. So here’s the deal… take about 2 feet of fluorocarbon leader. Make sure it is fluorocarbon because you want it to be invisible. Use a size 16 treble hook with just enough powerbait (rainbow)to cover the hook up completely. Don’t put too much on it. It should be the size of a pea. Set that leader up on your basic slip-sinker rig. Then, and this is the MOST important part, if you forget anything, don’t forget this: take six twelve ounce silver bullets, crack them open, sip and enjoy! Relax brother! Take a comfy chair and by the time the sixer is gone, you won’t care if you caught a fish or not! And if you catch one, even better! Don’t forget to get yourself a sober driver, pick up your empties and take them with you.

:cheers:Cheers, brotha!:beer::trout:

Adoboat
03-27-2013, 03:02 PM
Nor Cal, I want to fish with you dude. Great advice.

Rugby Lock
03-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Nor Cal, I want to fish with you dude. Great advice.

No Doubt!!!

Rugby Lock
03-30-2013, 12:52 PM
Upon further reflection I'm not so sure I'd refer to coors light as "beer"... :)

dabalone
03-30-2013, 01:00 PM
Upon further reflection I'm not so sure I'd refer to coors light as "beer"... :)

Coors light = girlie beer :cheesy: Dark beer for the win:thumbsup:

Marv
03-30-2013, 01:40 PM
Dark beer is for guys that drink a few beers. Coors light is for us that drink a gallon of beer :) Dark beer gives me a bloated feeling, beside I like to pee every ten minutes.

dabalone
03-30-2013, 02:00 PM
Dark beer is for guys that drink a few beers. Coors light is for us that drink a gallon of beer :) Dark beer gives me a bloated feeling, beside I like to pee every ten minutes.

The OP's question has been answered very well so guess no harm in wandering a bit. Funny how your tastes can be acquired and then changed, over the years I have been a bud or coors light beer drinker probably more than average, ok ok, no doubt more than average.

Couple years ago my son kept bringing only ale around, at first I just couldn't drink the stuff unless it was ice cold. Didn't take long before I began buying it for myself and now its all I drink, Sierra Pale Ale. Not long ago one of the family brought some coors light beer over and not having any Sierra I opened one up, after a couple swallows I poured it out and had ice tea instead. I can't believe how bad it tasted, it was terrible. I never really appreciated a more full bodied beer until I re trained my tastes. I was really surprised because I had always liked the light beer.

Rugby Lock
03-31-2013, 05:16 AM
Dabalone,

We all mature and our taste improve with age...

Nor*Cal
04-02-2013, 01:12 PM
How dare you guys speak ill of the CL smooth (coors light). it's light, refreshing and it gets the job done. Sure you have to drink a sixer before you get any sign of a buzz but its still good. haha Coors light is okay, dark beers, ales and all of that are on a completely different level. They do taste better but I enjoy a nice 36 pack for 20 bucks instead of a 12 pack for 20 bucks any day!

Either way I think all would agree, God is Great, beer is good and people are crazy! :beer_2:

WHT.RUS
04-02-2013, 01:49 PM
I ain't 21 yet, but out of all beers I tried, bud light is my #1.

Rugby Lock
04-02-2013, 02:06 PM
I ain't 21 yet, but out of all beers I tried, bud light is my #1.

You got a lot to learn Youngin...

WHT.RUS
04-03-2013, 01:21 PM
You got a lot to learn Youngin...

Eh,

Should I be like, I don't drink much but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis!? :p

Jfitalia
04-03-2013, 01:25 PM
I very rarely ever drink anymore but when I do I drink Newcastle!

BIG_ONE
04-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Silver Bullet...that's what I can afford. LOL.

WHT.RUS
04-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Dang! Forgot to add the most important thing.

Stay thirsty my friends...!

Rugby Lock
04-03-2013, 06:03 PM

You could learn from this one Youngin. He's heading in the right direction. Of course it doesn't compare to Lagunitas A little sumpin sumpin

49erbassman
04-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Bud is garbage silver bullet is good but like water. Blue moon Belgian white!

Fish on!

Nor*Cal
04-03-2013, 07:01 PM
If we really want to go there... Sierra Nevada Pale ale and Torpedo are the top of the chart! Also Pyramid Hefeweizen! :beer: cheers, my friends!

CAL.NDN
04-03-2013, 07:17 PM

That was the only beer i liked jf but grateful i dont drink anymore because i like fire water Bourbon. Makers mark nob creek or when low on funds ancient age old crow or keslers.

PinkSalmon
04-04-2013, 10:18 AM
All this beer talk has gotten me thirsty. I started with bud and miller...but gradually moved up the beer ladder. Boddingtons Ale is the way for me. I don't drink as much anymore and when I do Boddingtons never disappoints.

Marv
04-04-2013, 10:37 AM
I likes 'em all ;p but some of my favorites are, Red Stripe, Carta Blanca, Fat Tire, Shock Top. I love cheledas too, not the pre made bud kind,, but homemade with Clamato, lime, salt, and a shot of hot sauce, yummy too bad it's only 11:30 something, lol.....

Nor*Cal
04-04-2013, 11:36 AM
That was the only beer i liked jf but grateful i dont drink anymore because i like fire water Bourbon. Makers mark nob creek or when low on funds ancient age old crow or keslers.

Glad you gave up drinking man. It really is a bad habit. But on the other hand, if we’re talking whiskey, I’m all about that jack daniels and jim beam! Haha

All this beer talk has gotten me thirsty. I started with bud and miller...but gradually moved up the beer ladder. Boddingtons Ale is the way for me. I don't drink as much anymore and when I do Boddingtons never disappoints.

I have never had a Boddingtons ale, I will have to try it!

BIG_ONE
04-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Guinness...:D

clb101
04-05-2013, 05:09 PM
With the subject on beer, ha .. go to trader joes and get some Fat Weasel Ale, 7 % alc. this will get where you want to be in a hurry. I dont drink it all the time as my go to is miller, but every once and a while i just feel like a fat weasel....

phishndad
04-05-2013, 08:53 PM
I likes 'em all ;p but some of my favorites are, Red Stripe, Carta Blanca, Fat Tire, Shock Top. I love cheledas too, not the pre made bud kind,, but homemade with Clamato, lime, salt, and a shot of hot sauce, yummy too bad it's only 11:30 something, lol.....

Marc, I like your taste in beers..... some of my favorites. Also like Stella artois, and heiniken is probably what I drink most. Only one I don't agree with you on is the cheledas...man that stuff is gross!

TroutGhost
04-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Plus one on the Sumpin' Sumpin. The label itself makes it worth bringing a six pack home.

wefishallday
04-17-2013, 03:12 PM
OK Vdub -- newto this forum and this is my first post.

First -- I'm 65, female, and been fishing for Trout in the Sierra Lakes & Central Valley (also Tx and Ariz) since I was old enough to hold a pole ~ 3 yrs old -- mainly old school leadcore line / flasher trolling from a boat, but also shorefishing lakes, and streams, rivers etc. Hope these comments give you another thing to think about.

#1. Take this as a compliment – It’s not your technique -- You likely have an ODOR problem –the problem being that the fish you’re fishing for now -- don’t like your smell. I’ve run across this in my lifetime with just certain people and there is a way around this that has worked to help them.

First -- each of us is genetically different and put off slightly different chemicals & oils from our pours & we do this all day long. Just avoiding scented soaps & sun screen doesn’t help some folks. There are just some people who put off body chemicals that fish, especially Rainbows (less so Kokanee) just avoid like the plague! When these people bait/thread their own hooks with worms or roll up power bait in the palms of their hands or hold their artificial lures to tie them on, or “run their leaders” through their fingers when tying –well those chemicals get transferred to the bait/lure/line and “stick”. One would think the water would wash it off – well, it doesn’t. Not water soluble. Scratching your head doesn't help either - just puts more oil on your fingers.

Some other oldtimers without this problem might object to this concept - but it's proven out to be true for certain people. My Dad (a super fisherman by the way) told me this when I was just a kid back in the 1950’s, & I never paid much attention to it as it wasn’t relevant for me till later in life when I started taking more people out in my boat trolling or when taking my extended family or friends shore fishing for trout. Some people just could NOT catch the fish, even get a bite -- despite repeated tries, and despite EVERYTHING else the same – except when someone else baited their hooks or put the lures on for them. Here’s what helped these types of people! Maybe it will for you!

Go to HomeDepot/Lowes paint department, or even your local grocery store and buy yourself a small bag/box of Cheap, NON-POWDERED, NON-SCENTED clear, lightweight disposable plastic gloves – kind you can see through. Then, handle/touch your artificial lures, your power bait and your live worms/grubs/whatever, and your leader line ONLY WHEN you have these gloves on. Take them off obviously to fish – just keep your bare hands off the bait or lure. If you’re tying on leader line – do it with gloves because people tend to run it through their fingers before tying it on. Gloves are tight fitting and thin – easy to use, not cumbersome.

You can test this concept first by having someone else who is actually catching fish beside you, when you’re not, bait up your line for you – just make sure that if you’ve previously touched your artificial lures or leader to have that other person clean/scrub them first well in lakewater as your oils are still on there.

#2. SEPARATELY -- at a different time -- just try this -- Switch off fluorocarbon leader to #2 or #4 Low-VisGreen or Clear Monofilament or whatever the water calls for -- when using sliding egg sinkers – and don't run your fingers down the line (without gloves) when tying it on. Lots of people like it for their leaders but I don't -- It sinks and it's supposed to, especially when deeper as its higher density, and it doesn't absorb water like Monofilament. It doesn't have as natural a presentation of the bait - it's stiffer in the water. Just a thought.

Good luck - great fishing.

Rugby Lock
04-18-2013, 07:53 AM
#1. Take this as a compliment – It’s not your technique -- You likely have an ODOR problem –the problem being that the fish you’re fishing for now -- don’t like your smell. I’ve run across this in my lifetime with just certain people and there is a way around this that has worked to help them.

**********(TM)

Harsh... she's tellin the dude he's super stank!! :skunk29gc::signs165xk::signs165xk:

J/K!! Some good advice that I'll keep in my kit if I ever seem to get the super stank goin on!!!

:skunk29gc::signs165xk::signs165xk: