PDA

View Full Version : Collins Lake Sniffer Fest Ideas???

Jfitalia
02-28-2013, 03:12 PM
Ok Folks I was talking with our resident old man (Crabby) and I've decided to see if we can put a sniffer fest together. I know a lot of us members have struggled to get together and fish. So I am thinking it would good to try and get as many members together as possible. Collins lake seems to have a nice mix of Trout, bass, crappie and catfish so it should make many people happy.

My question is what dates do you think would work for most? I know that May is pretty busy for me but its possible to swing a late April, early May or June. If there is a month that generates the most attention then I can get this thing going.

-Jeremy

49erbassman
02-28-2013, 04:35 PM
May or June for me but campsites at Collins concern me. I have friends who will never camp there again. The past two camping trips our campsite was in the side of the gravel road right next to the bathroom. The campsite was really part of the gravel road so tents were set up right in the gravel. Not to mention cars driving right by you and covering your site in dust. I have caped there at least once a year for the past 8 years up until last year. It seems as they got more popular and crowded they just threw campsites anywhere to make extra $$

Maybe we could reserve a group campsite or open camping along the bank of the lake?

Sent from my iPhone

Marv
02-28-2013, 05:00 PM
248 miles round trip for us Modesto area guys :(

Why the heck does Collins lake come up on the map as Virginia beach reservoir? Is it Collins Or Virginia and is it a lake or reservoir, lol.

49erbassman
02-28-2013, 05:06 PM
Shows as Collins for me on google earth. Browns Valley Ca

Sent from my iPhone

CRABBY
02-28-2013, 07:34 PM
I felt May would be good because april has so many derbies an it gets hit really hard AN the fishing in the past has been so-so during those events considering the hi quality of fishermen fishing them!!As for tent sites,IF we are mostly gonna be in tents I would recommend the overflow area or some of the new sites they built,they are bigger an not so close to ea.other...no power though!!

CRABBY
02-28-2013, 07:40 PM

Why the heck does Collins lake come up on the map as Virginia beach reservoir? Is it Collins Or Virginia and is it a lake or reservoir, lol.That's because our map stuff is messed up,it's Collins Lake or the ol original name is Merle Collins Lake!!!!:D...It is small,not like melones,bout 1000+ acres...

redneckpunk
02-28-2013, 10:10 PM
Good luck Jeremy, hope its better than last year. Had a lot of interest, guys comitting, and when all was said and done, I had an ice chest full of food, an unused BBQ and met 2 sniffers...ok 3 if you count DON. LOL!!

Of course we tried it on the weekend of the derby so maybe a different day would be best. However, as you push into May at Collins it becomes a lot more crowded, the beach isnt fishable because its the swim area, and from my experience the bite slows considerably.

~RNP

Jfitalia
02-28-2013, 10:24 PM
Good luck Jeremy, hope its better than last year. Had a lot of interest, guys comitting, and when all was said and done, I had an ice chest full of food, an unused BBQ and met 2 sniffers...ok 3 if you count DON. LOL!!

Of course we tried it on the weekend of the derby so maybe a different day would be best. However, as you push into May at Collins it becomes a lot more crowded, the beach isnt fishable because its the swim area, and from my experience the bite slows considerably.

~RNP

well like i said I'll feel it out and go from there. May is basically out for me.

CRABBY
03-01-2013, 04:43 AM
Well you can try late march or april,make sure they don't have a big derbie that weekend!!!:bugsbunny:

Trout Tracker
03-01-2013, 04:58 AM
Keep in mind that the lake opens in May for the
water skiers.
You might want to consider late April.
I know i missed the one last year,or i think i did.
It seems the years just run together
anymore.
TT

JohnnyBoy2
03-05-2013, 05:24 AM
Why not at the same time as the Sniffer derby?

Jfitalia
03-05-2013, 05:38 AM
its usually an issue with availability. however if only a few people are going to show up then I may plan it then.

Rugby Lock
03-06-2013, 10:57 AM
I'd be willing to go as long as y'all don't mind all my dumb questions! LOL!

Is this an adult only thing or not?

CRABBY
03-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Why not at the same time as the Sniffer derby?Tried that last year,an as RNP said,a big dud!!!!Nobody but us so I left too!!!

The_Rich
03-06-2013, 02:14 PM
I'd be interested in March or April, just not April 25 on. I have other fishing trips then.

Jfitalia
03-06-2013, 02:49 PM
I'd be interested in March or April, just not April 25 on. I have other fishing trips then.

first off, welcome to the boards! second of all there are no other fishing trips! ha jk

Nor*Cal
03-06-2013, 03:21 PM

Why the heck does Collins lake come up on the map as Virginia beach reservoir? Is it Collins Or Virginia and is it a lake or reservoir, lol.

Apparently Collins was known as Virginia Ranch Reservoir during its construction. Collins Lake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collins_Lake)

Nor*Cal
03-06-2013, 03:27 PM

~RNP

Wait so you're telling me that the Sniffer crew has an annual get together where the purpose is to fish, camp, eat and hang out with the boys… and nobody attended? WTF? Haha shoot, sounds like a good time to me! How many days is this event? Are you aloud to bring beer? hahaha

CRABBY
03-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Wait so you're telling me that the Sniffer crew has an annual get together where the purpose is to fish, camp, eat and hang out with the boysÖ and nobody attended? WTF? Haha shoot, sounds like a good time to me! How many days is this event? Are you aloud to bring beer? hahahaWe had our first fishing derby that was well attended by outsiders an about 10/12 sniffers.Me a RNP tried to get people to camp etc.NO go, so bout 3 pm I split,my truck was loaded with camping gear an firewood,oh well,same thing happened at the Purple Heart Anglers get together at Brennan Is.Me an RNP were the only ones to stay,I already paid for 2 nights so I just stayed,I got lucky cuz the last night RNP an his GF cooked an fed me,otherwise would have just ate more canned chile an spam!!!+++BEER!!!!!Our Fests used to be big events an fun times enjoyed by many members!I'm always open to meeting an camping with members who bring beer,LOL!!!Money an tight times may have something to do with it,not sure!!!Could be me,I smoke,LOL...:flip::www_MyEmoticons_com

Nor*Cal
03-06-2013, 04:42 PM
I guess I can see this not working out after a fishing derby. Thatís like two events in one day/weekend. My advice would be to take each bull by the horns separately. Set them up on different days.

Why do you think people didnít attend in the past?

I can see people being intimidated by social situations. Maybe they feel like they donít know many of you guys aside from when you answer fishing questions and maybe they think some of the other sniffers might be jerks and would rather not deal with that kind of social situation? Plus some guys just donít want to meet other people. Call me crazy, but this camping trip sounds like it can be quite a blast if you got the right people involved. If you have the right people bring some of their buddies, a keg or a BYOB event and it could be quite the shindig. That's just my opinion.

CRABBY
03-06-2013, 05:02 PM
I guess I can see this not working out after a fishing derby. Thatís like two events in one day/weekend. My advice would be to take each bull by the horns separately. Set them up on different days.

Why do you think people didnít attend in the past?

I can see people being intimidated by social situations. Maybe they feel like they donít know many of you guys aside from when you answer fishing questions and maybe they think some of the other sniffers might be jerks and would rather not deal with that kind of social situation? Plus some guys just donít want to meet other people. Call me crazy, but this camping trip sounds like it can be quite a blast if you got the right people involved. If you have the right people bring some of their buddies, a keg or a BYOB event and it could be quite the shindig. That's just my opinion.LOL,we have had great gettogethers at Collins the last 3/4 years,everybody was great,good food etc.Your feelings about social events could be true but I doubt it,I know many sniffers who live up here an they never go,many more in the marysville/yuba city area and they just ignore the whole thread,who knows,most here don't seem to camp much,just go for 1 day trips,thats cool,it is a fishing board after all,lol....

CRABBY
03-09-2013, 06:53 AM
Some old Collins fest pics from a damaged disc just recovered..
Scnt Junky,CJ an Lineside,King James,okie an Lineside,me an wife

CRABBY
03-09-2013, 07:09 AM
Some more..Mia,CJ,bucket an trout tracker,me,Goodbaitgirl...

49erbassman
03-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Wow a pic of Don!!! I feel like I know you now haha lol

Sent from my iPhone

CRABBY
03-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Wow a pic of Don!!! I feel like I know you now haha lol

Sent from my iPhoneLOL,now your gonna have nightmares!!!!!!!:wink:

Reel Fun
03-09-2013, 08:52 PM
Don.....what about Little Grass Valley? I know it has Koks and browns.....is there a place for a gathering? Maybe next year? Collins is good.....but its only trout or bass......Kokanee guys here would love an excuse to fish a lake that they never have! I know I would like to fish that lake someday?

RF

CRABBY
03-10-2013, 03:44 AM
Don.....what about Little Grass Valley? I know it has Koks and browns.....is there a place for a gathering? Maybe next year? Collins is good.....but its only trout or bass......Kokanee guys here would love an excuse to fish a lake that they never have! I know I would like to fish that lake someday?

RFRonnie it's a great place!!!About 50 Min's north of Collins,mostly up hill.
Has kokes,trout,an nice browns,camp grounds are big an nice an many ramps.Most of the kokes an trout are on the small side,12/14'' browns are bigger.Real pretty lake an scenery.

scnt junky
03-10-2013, 05:47 AM
Wow Don those pics bring back some great memories I know my family and I had a ton of fun I hope we can make something this year the last 2 years we have had too much on the plate the weekends they were planned.

Scnt Junky

CRABBY
03-10-2013, 05:53 AM
Wow Don those pics bring back some great memories I know my family and I had a ton of fun I hope we can make something this year the last 2 years we have had too much on the plate the weekends they were planned.

Scnt JunkyTom got a bunch of the kids will put em up...Don

CRABBY
03-10-2013, 06:06 AM
More Fest pics of kids....You can see my wife had a favorite one,lol...

CRABBY
03-10-2013, 06:21 AM
More..........

okie
03-10-2013, 06:25 AM
Some more..Mia,CJ,bucket an trout tracker,me,Goodbaitgirl...

those pics are old, i was just lookin at them, and noticed they were taken at the
one that i was down there for. saw me in the pic of cj. brought back some great
memories, especially of king james hookin his thumb.
be safe

CRABBY
03-10-2013, 06:35 AM
those pics are old, i was just lookin at them, and noticed they were taken at the
one that i was down there for. saw me in the pic of cj. brought back some great
memories, especially of king james hookin his thumb.
be safeYep 2010,the disc in Hopes camera became corrupted an she saved it anyway,son who lives in Vegas got it to open,hacked it I guess....she had tried everywhere up here/sac an no one could figure it out,lol...

jlivengood
03-10-2013, 08:50 AM
A Sniffer event sounds like a great idea! I am not much into the tent camping these days and have yet to find a way to tow both trailer and boat, so most fishing trips are for one day. However, with the derbies in April and you add this event it would be worth it to store the trailer there for a month or so.

Not new to the sniffer but new to the forums and would love to put some faces with the names so count me in, if my schedule permits I will be there.

Marv
03-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Cool pics Don, nice to see the human behind the crab :) always pictured you with a cigar or a pipe :) :Old_hippie:

CRABBY
03-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Cool pics Don, nice to see the human behind the crab :) always pictured you with a cigar or a pipe :) :Old_hippie:Marv,got em both+ the little white cancer stiks!!!!LOL.Now what really surprised you was I had hair,LOL...you had this mean ol bald guy with a big cigar in mind I bet!!!!Haaaaaaaaaaa!!!With no teeth!!!!Close but not yet!!!!:Old_hippie:

Trout Tracker
03-10-2013, 06:43 PM
I know that every sniffer event i was able to make it to
it was a blast.
The one that i took my Grandaughter to was great.
She had fun playing with all the kids and got to fish from scnt junkies boat.Lucky kid,lucky
boat.
I do want to make this one cause i missed the last one due to the
job.
It's nice to put faces to names an meet some great
people that are about fishing.
Any way.
When the date gets set i'll put in for some vacation time.
TT

Bainter1212
03-10-2013, 07:03 PM
I am down to head out, as long as I have a few weeks notice. No problem camping here....mid june is out for me, my wife and I will be in Ireland.

scnt junky
03-10-2013, 07:17 PM
TT yep Mia is a great kid Im glad she had fun and my boys had a great time playing with all the kids too. That boat has always been lucky!!!!!!!!!! Don the pics are great to see now Im waiting to see what dates it will be so I can try to get there for it it was a ton of fun. Come to think of it CJ and Okie didnt make the fall one that we made those boys need to get back up this way.
:excited::excited::excited:

Marv
03-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Marv,got em both+ the little white cancer stiks!!!!LOL.Now what really surprised you was I had hair,LOL...you had this mean ol bald guy with a big cigar in mind I bet!!!!Haaaaaaaaaaa!!!With no teeth!!!!Close but not yet!!!!:Old_hippie:

Lol, not bald maybe a bushy beard, but mean and crotchety haha :) oh yeah with a cat on your desk, getting that dirty cat hair everywhere :)

redneckpunk
03-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Well someone needs to step up and set a date so we can all make plans to be there. I'm sure I will have no issue convincing the g/f that we "need" a camping trip. Not sure I will have my boat, since the anticipated "relaunch" isnt until Memorial Day weekend, but maybe an extra incentive to finish it is what I need. LOL!!

~RNP

Jfitalia
03-11-2013, 04:22 AM
Well someone needs to step up and set a date so we can all make plans to be there. I'm sure I will have no issue convincing the g/f that we "need" a camping trip. Not sure I will have my boat, since the anticipated "relaunch" isnt until Memorial Day weekend, but maybe an extra incentive to finish it is what I need. LOL!!

~RNP

im going to work today and will look at some dates.

WHT.RUS
03-11-2013, 07:10 AM
If it ain't got pine trees, it ain't camping. Atleast not for me :p Collins is a day lake. Don't like their camp sites as there's no shade what's so ever! I like to take a noon nap when Im camping! Lots of good plants there and fishing ain't bad at all. Lots of plump trouties down there. Might hit this fest thing for a day and see what all this fuss is about!

Jfitalia
03-11-2013, 07:38 AM
If it ain't got pine trees, it ain't camping. Atleast not for me :p Collins is a day lake. Don't like their camp sites as there's no shade what's so ever! I like to take a noon nap when Im camping! Lots of good plants there and fishing ain't bad at all. Lots of plump trouties down there. Might hit this fest thing for a day and see what all this fuss is about!

Oh man I thought you knew that it was a 21 and over event???? :nana:

haha just kidding man! I have a bike race May 4th so I am thinking we can probably swing a May event. I'll know more after today and will post a potential date.

WHT.RUS
03-11-2013, 08:30 AM
Oh man I thought you knew that it was a 21 and over event???? :nana:

haha just kidding man! I have a bike race May 4th so I am thinking we can probably swing a May event. I'll know more after today and will post a potential date.

Heh! I can always adjust my age on here :0 I think. Other than that, wouldn't matter as I don't drink :)

Katfish
04-16-2013, 01:01 AM
Seems this kinda died out here... Was looking foward to seeing a date posted. If you guys are still planning on putting some sort of event together for the sniffers you can count me IN! I know i'll need a little bit of a heads up though on a date so i can take it off work as i work weekends.

Jfitalia
04-16-2013, 06:22 AM
Seems this kinda died out here... Was looking foward to seeing a date posted. If you guys are still planning on putting some sort of event together for the sniffers you can count me IN! I know i'll need a little bit of a heads up though on a date so i can take it off work as i work weekends.

yeah my work has been nuts and they are in the process of paying for my investment license. so I've been busy studying so i can get my series 6 and 63.

Bainter1212
04-16-2013, 09:17 AM
Still waiting for a date so I can yay or nay.......I say we nominate Crabby to set the date....oh wait, that might be a problem. Retired guys can't tell the difference between a Tuesday and a Saturday! :p

stonesfan
04-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Keep in mind that the lake opens in May for the
water skiers.
You might want to consider late April.
I know i missed the one last year,or i think i did.
It seems the years just run together
anymore.
TT

Late April is only 2 weeks away, and nobody like Lake Lice.....................:kahuna11ji:

Stoney:rollingstones:

dabalone
04-16-2013, 11:10 AM
For many it takes longer than just a couple weeks to get over their April 15th depression.

CRABBY
04-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Still waiting for a date so I can yay or nay.......I say we nominate Crabby to set the date....oh wait, that might be a problem. Retired guys can't tell the difference between a Tuesday and a Saturday! :pNow ya sound like my wife,LOL,true tho ya do lose track.And times goes faster,whats up with that?I'm just now reading sun's paper...HAAAAAAAAA..thought it was just yesterday!!!!!!:cheesy:

CRABBY
04-20-2013, 04:42 PM
OK so april seems to be shot!Any body have any interest at all?Put up a date or something!!..:clown:

XPL051v3
04-21-2013, 05:49 PM
I'll be at Collins lake this coming weekend with a few buddies 26 - 28th. So far my plan is to fish early morning until about 11am for trout and then do some night cat fishing.

CRABBY
05-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Looks like a dead issue!!Oh well!!!:wallbash: