PDA

View Full Version : Powerbait Hatchery Formula Nuggets

Lifted
03-01-2013, 08:06 PM
It's common advice when targeting planters to hear, "Pick something that looks like what they're fed in the hatchery." I've heard of the powerbait nuggets, but those still come in a jar & if these work it will simply be one of those "Why didn't I think of that sooner?" moments. Anyone tried these before? Did you feel you were more successful than regular powerbait/eggs? The only complaints in the reviews seemed to be that the nuggets could be half the size. I'm was placing an order anyway so I'll throw them in cuz they're cheap, but I won't be able to try them until I hit Topaz in a few weeks.

Cabela's: Berkley® PowerBait® Hatchery Formula Trout Nuggets (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home/Spring-Great-Outdoor-Days-Fishing%7C/pc/105625080/c/108162180/Berkley174-PowerBait174-Hatchery-Formula-Trout-Nuggets/738367.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhome-spring-great-outdoor-days-fishing%2F_%2FN-1104844%2FNo-48%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNP%26record sPerPage%3D48&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat108162180)

Captain Compassion
03-01-2013, 09:39 PM
It's common advice when targeting planters to hear, "Pick something that looks like what they're fed in the hatchery." I've heard of the powerbait nuggets, but those still come in a jar & if these work it will simply be one of those "Why didn't I think of that sooner?" moments. Anyone tried these before? Did you feel you were more successful than regular powerbait/eggs? The only complaints in the reviews seemed to be that the nuggets could be half the size. I'm was placing an order anyway so I'll throw them in cuz they're cheap, but I won't be able to try them until I hit Topaz in a few weeks.

It's not only how they look and smell but how they are presented to the fish. These nuggets float. Hatchery Chow slowly sinks to the bottom. May work for casting towards crusing trout but still fishing I don't know. Perhaps this will catch more fishermen than fish. I could be wrong.

CC

sja
03-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Tried them at my local lake....... no success. Char. and RB still top of the list.

redneckpunk
03-01-2013, 10:03 PM
I havent used those but I have used Hatchery Pellet color PB dough with great success in Collins.

~RNP

Lifted
03-01-2013, 10:09 PM
It's not only how they look and smell but how they are presented to the fish. These nuggets float. Hatchery Chow slowly sinks to the bottom. May work for casting towards crusing trout but still fishing I don't know. Perhaps this will catch more fishermen than fish. I could be wrong.

CC

In that case use a sliding sinker rig off the bottom, but I catch your drift... at that point how is it any different the myriad of other dough baits?

Marv
03-01-2013, 10:25 PM
I have caught trout on all colors of dough, you only need 2 chartreuse and rainbow. Get some garlic scent and if there feeding, your catching. No bait or lure is the ''wonder'' bait. I have read where some guys go to the hatcheries that have the pellets in the gumball machines and buy some. Then they crush them up with karo syrup (corn syrup) to make a dough you can use under a bobber.

Jetspray
03-02-2013, 04:06 AM
In that case use a sliding sinker rig off the bottom, but I catch your drift... at that point how is it any different the myriad of other dough baits?

It is consistancy, the Gulp has worked the most for me as well. I use powerbait to keep the gulp on the hook, it keeps the same attractant in the water coloumb and keeps things in order. I do have other baits but stick mainly to these in different colors:Bear_fishes:.......Jetspray

BIG FIN
03-02-2013, 08:08 PM
I have used them and with no sucess its like everyone else is saying chart or rainbow works best and when it comes to power eggs you can catch many a fish with the same eggs , dont know why they like rubber so much though but it works. you can also put some scent on them and its pretty effective . I have recently tried the hatchery pellet brown dough with no success but I usually change color after half an hour with no bite . For my money I would not buy them . Tight lines BF

Jetspray
03-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Last bag of that I had I threw into Del Valle on my last trip there. They tend to sink rather than float and don't stick too well either.......Jetspray