PDA

View Full Version : Makeing bacon

CATKILLER
03-03-2013, 05:15 AM
Just got done makeing some bacon for the first time, here are some Pic's1306413068130651306613067

Came out a bit salty but not bad for the first try. Any help out there?
Thanks
Catkiller :banana:

Steve079
03-03-2013, 05:46 PM
never tried making that before. don't know what your process was, but if salty is the only problem you had with it, that's an easy adjustment for next time. Sure looks good, could you describe how you did it?

CAL.NDN
03-03-2013, 06:35 PM
Looks awsome.

49erbassman
03-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Nice and I'm lovin the smoker!!

Sent from my iPhone

CATKILLER
03-03-2013, 09:12 PM
never tried making that before. don't know what your process was, but if salty is the only problem you had with it, that's an easy adjustment for next time. Sure looks good, could you describe how you did it?
Steve i started with 25lbs pork belly cut into 6 parts then mixed 1 box of brown sugar
1 1/2 cup kosher salt (coarse) and 8oz's of maple syurp and 2 tsp pink salt. Then rubbed
the bellys with the rub, put in zipp lock bags the put in frig. for 7 days, turning every day.
After 7 days remove them and rinsed off bellys. Dry them off and i put a fan on them for
about 4 to 5 hrs or until they get a shine on them, this will help the smoke to stick to them.
Smoked at 135 with apple wood for 3 hrs and turn up the heat to 200 and smoked until
the bellys reached 150 and then removed. Let them cool and then remove skin side and
put in frig. overnight. Ready to slice and eat. Next time i will use 3/4 cups of salt and test
a piece before smokeing if it is to salty, you can soak in water to get the extra salt out.

Catkiller :banana:

Steve079
03-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Man, that sounds good! never crossed my mind to try that, but now I may have to. I hope you will post the results of your next batch, it will be interesting to we how long 25lbs of bacon lasts you. :banana: Bring on the BLT's!

CATKILLER
03-04-2013, 05:44 AM
Man, that sounds good! never crossed my mind to try that, but now I may have to. I hope you will post the results of your next batch, it will be interesting to we how long 25lbs of bacon lasts you. :banana: Bring on the BLT's!

Steve i messed up, I got 25lbs but just used 17lbs on this batch and after smokeing i
got about 12lbs with the srinkage when you cure and smoke.
I'm going to use the 8lbs with a rub i got from PS Seasoning in WI. will post how it came out.
Food that come's out of the smoker seams to be gone before you know it. I did over 200
trout last year and have just 1 pack left.

CATKILLER :turkycut1:

Steve079
03-04-2013, 07:31 AM
Food that come's out of the smoker seams to be gone before you know it. I did over 200 trout last year and have just 1 pack left.

I understand completely. That's what I do with the Kokes from our local lake. So numerous and easy to catch, even if they are small. I wait until I get a couple gallon zip lock bags full, then smoke and can. No bones to worry about, and they taste great. A fair amount of work, but worth it. I have one jar left.