PDA

View Full Version : Smoked chicken stew, cheese and green chili biscuits

Steve079
03-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Didn't catch any fish today, and to come up with something for dinner, this is quick and easy to make, and tastes great.

Smoke 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I seasoned them with some home made rub, and lemon pepper.
Smoked them with apple wood, set aside.

Cube 3 carrots, and 3 stalks of celery. Dice 3 Serrano peppers, seeded, and one onion. Saute until translucent, with 1 tsp of dried thyme, and ground sage.
Add 1 quart water, 4 chicken bullion cubes, and one can drained and rinsed black beans. Cube reserved chicken and add back into mix. Bring back to soft boil, thicken with corn starch/water to desired thickness. simmer on low for an hour

Cheddar and green chili biscuits

2 cups AP flour
1tbl baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cube butter flavored Crisco stick
1 small can diced green peppers
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 scant cup low fat milk
Combine dry ingredients, cut in Crisco until mix looks crumbly. Add drained chili's and cheese, add milk, mix until just combined. Dough should pull from sides. flour a cutting board, pat and fold dough 4-5 times, flouring lightly to prevent sticking. Pat out to 1/2-3/4 inch, cut with 2" cutter or wine glass. Place on cookie sheet, edges touching, in preheated 425 oven until lightly browned, 15-20 minutes, depending on your oven.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z100/skhardwoods/IMG_3702_zpscb95ffa4.jpg

Rub. good for smoking Chicken or Pork.

Rub is: non iodized salt. granulated garlic powder, onion powder, season salt, Cayenne pepper and brown sugar, I run it through a coffee grinder to blend, then store it in a pint mason jar. I use about a 1/3 cup of the first 4 ingredients, 2 tsps Cayenne, and 2/3 cup of the brown sugar.

dabalone
03-03-2013, 07:28 PM
I am a stew guy, make it many ways, this looks and sounds good and will keep your recipe. Thanks!

One thing I have been doing with my stews and soups is separating some of the vegetables and adding them towards the end of cook time so everything is not cooked so soft, the extra firmness of the lightly cooked vegys and potatoes goes over well in the mix.

CATKILLER
03-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Steve looks great and i can almost smell it here. How long did you smoke the chicken?
Thanks for the recipe, will try this one for sure. Homemade bisquits nice
mine do not came out that good.

CATKILLER :clappingcheesehead:

Steve079
03-05-2013, 09:30 PM
Steve looks great and i can almost smell it here. How long did you smoke the chicken?
Thanks for the recipe, will try this one for sure. Homemade bisquits nice
mine do not came out that good.

CATKILLER :clappingcheesehead:

I used my propane smoker, did the briquets and applewood, but used the propane too, to boost the heat up. I'm guessing about an hour?

I can't count how many batches of biscuits I've made trying to get them just right. turns out the BIGGEST thing for good results was folding the dough 4-5, maybe 6 times, before cutting the biscuits. the recipes said keep everything cold, don't handle the dough too much, some bake at 350....Me, well the milk, or buttermilk, is cold ,as is the cheese, when I use it. But the other ingredients are room temp.
the next couple things...I use the top rack in the oven, temp@ 425, heavy cookie sheet, and I place tiles on the top rack to keep the bottoms from burning (from the higher heat).

The biscuits are done, when they are browned the way you like them. I don't butter the tops of mine, some do, and it may brown them faster.
Bet it took 20 or so batches and several different recipes before I got it where I liked it. guess what, simplest recipe is best. For Buttermilk, just omit the cheese and chili peppers. They also turn out great with just lowfat milk. good biscuits are good biscuits :cheesy:

CATKILLER
03-06-2013, 05:43 AM
I used my propane smoker, did the briquets and applewood, but used the propane too, to boost the heat up. I'm guessing about an hour?

I can't count how many batches of biscuits I've made trying to get them just right. turns out the BIGGEST thing for good results was folding the dough 4-5, maybe 6 times, before cutting the biscuits. the recipes said keep everything cold, don't handle the dough too much, some bake at 350....Me, well the milk, or buttermilk, is cold ,as is the cheese, when I use it. But the other ingredients are room temp.
the next couple things...I use the top rack in the oven, temp@ 425, heavy cookie sheet, and I place tiles on the top rack to keep the bottoms from burning (from the higher heat).

The biscuits are done, when they are browned the way you like them. I don't butter the tops of mine, some do, and it may brown them faster.
Bet it took 20 or so batches and several different recipes before I got it where I liked it. guess what, simplest recipe is best. For Buttermilk, just omit the cheese and chili peppers. They also turn out great with just lowfat milk. good biscuits are good biscuits :cheesy:

Thank Steve079 Makeing Biscuits looks so easy but they are not, but you sure got it down
Thanks for the tips

CATKILLER :worthy: