PDA

View Full Version : Crawfish Help!!

1bigfish
03-04-2013, 05:57 AM
Does anyone know where to go to catch Crawfish using a trap, or just walking through a drained rice field and picking them up with your hands. I live in East Palo Alto and i'm willing to travel even past the Sacramento area to catch them.

Any help would be appreciated

1Bigfish

CDK
03-04-2013, 06:37 AM
I don't know your intended use SOOO if eating stay away from the rice paddies too much pollution.
Most places in the Delta above salt will have them. When I was younger I would use a mask and get into the water with them turning over rocks. Most any fresh water will have them.
Hope this helps.
C

twopatch
03-05-2013, 05:41 PM
lake Natomas is the place to go. I would go to the Negro Bar area.

1bigfish
03-05-2013, 05:49 PM
My intensions are to eat them, so thanks for the info about the rice fields.

1Bigfish

rpwlaw11
03-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Great eating dads! Go to the American River, dive for them or bring a trap. Easy pickings and great eats! East Palo Alto, damn that's a drive. You can trap them out of your local lakes also. I caught them out of Uvas, and Chesbro in San Jose. But don't eat them out of the drainage ditch too often. You never know what them bad boys might be polluted with. From my personal experience, crawdads from cooler waters are way better and tastier. Some lakes in the sierra's are also excellent for dads if you ever venture up the hills.

clb101
03-08-2013, 06:54 PM
ditto on the fresher the water the better the dads. if you are using a trap a good bait to use is anchovies, get a plastic water bottle ( 12 oz.) drill half inch holes into it, stuff full of frozen chovies. the dads wont eat up all your bait. love those tastey dads. good luck

Steamer47
03-08-2013, 11:18 PM
One of the largest food exports out of the Sacramento river is crawdads, that should give you a idea.

Are you sure about this? The reason I ask is that the last time I went to the Isleton Crawdad Festival I was told that all the ones they served came from Louisiana, which didn't make any sense to me at all.

On the other hand, my little sister went to Europe several years ago and one thing she wanted to learn about there was the "Beauty Secrets of European Women," which she'd heard about on TV here, but all she saw on TV there were ads about the "Beauty Secrets of American Women!"

Maybe you can't find a Louisiana crawfish in a Louisiana restaurant!

FresnoJack
03-09-2013, 02:33 AM
I grew up in the area, but haven't lived there years.

As a kid, used to catch craws in San Bruno, Colma and Pescadero creeks. I heard there is a restoration project for Pescadero and that it is or was closed to all fishing. Not sure about the other 2, best check DMV regs.

Sausal Creek in Portola Valley? Used to be a pretty good trout stream and lots of crawdads.

La Honda and Corta Madera creeks?

Stevens Creek, either the creek or the reservoir?

You should check with the State Parks and County Parks for information.

Does anyone know where to go to catch Crawfish using a trap, or just walking through a drained rice field and picking them up with your hands. I live in East Palo Alto and i'm willing to travel even past the Sacramento area to catch them.

Any help would be appreciated

1Bigfish

WLShafor
03-09-2013, 06:36 AM
Isn't it to early for crawfish?

shadbuster
03-12-2013, 10:33 AM
itto on the fresher the water the better the dads. if you are using a trap a good bait to use is anchovies, get a plastic water bottle ( 12 oz.) drill half inch holes into it, stuff full of frozen chovies.

Can't believe I handn't though of this before! Great idea to keep dad's in trap.

Are you sure about this? The reason I ask is that the last time I went to the Isleton Crawdad Festival I was told that all the ones they served came from Louisiana, which didn't make any sense to me at all.

I think the local crawdad trappers get better prices exporting than selling local, so that is what they do.