PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for trout

dabalone
03-04-2013, 11:08 AM
Besides a couple trips a year up the hill with my fly rod for trout I just don't fish much for them anymore, mainly warm water species. But, I have over the years caught lots of trout. One thing I haven't seen mentioned by the trout guys is a panther martin, used to be a great producer for me. Try this at a lake like Almanor. A panther martin can be retrieved slowly with good blade action. Using one of the larger sizes, tie about a two foot trailer of flourocarbon and drag a wooly bugger behind it. Hang on.:smiley:

danweasel
03-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Caught one at Almanor this weekend with a Panther Martin. Black with yellow spots.

-Dan

crazyfisher
03-04-2013, 12:48 PM
yup panther martin is my go-to lure especially the black body with 3 yellow dots. Killer for any species. I caught a 6 lbs largemouth with it last year.

All of the panther martin is good. I like the blade action on them vs the others.

mryosemite
03-04-2013, 12:53 PM
A panther martin can be retrieved slowly with good blade action. Using one of the larger sizes, tie about a two foot trailer of flourocarbon and drag a wooly bugger behind it. Hang on.:smiley:

I'm diggin' this idea - good one!

hybrid90
03-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Using one of the larger sizes, tie about a two foot trailer of flourocarbon and drag a wooly bugger behind it. Hang on.:smiley:

Is it legal to catch trout using two hooks? I've always use no more than 1 hook so just curious.
Don't fish for trout religiously so not sure of the number of hooks allowed.

Jfitalia
03-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Is it legal to catch trout using two hooks? I've always use no more than 1 hook so just curious.
Don't fish for trout religiously so not sure of the number of hooks allowed.

Yes it is legal to use 2 hooks.

Marv
03-05-2013, 10:06 AM
You can have up to 3 hooks per line in CA. I like the yellow with red dots, and gold.

Captain Compassion
03-05-2013, 10:28 AM
One thing I haven't seen mentioned by the trout guys is a panther martin, used to be a great producer for me.

I fish for trout a lot. While fishing I don't use a whole lot of different things. I use no more then 5 different artificals but a 1/4 oz PM in black with orange dots is one of my go to lures. Great in rivers and lakes. one downside to the things is that they don't last very long. Catch 10 or so trout and the paint is gone and the lure is bent out of shape.

CC

Jetspray
03-05-2013, 11:09 AM
I fish for trout a lot. Catch 10 or so trout and the paint is gone and the lure is bent out of shape.

CC

That is why I carry equipment to fix stuff CC, besides carry extras and give away things it is a key to others. If something is worn out and they look at it, & they can purchase their own. You never know who you are fishing with.........Jetspray

FresnoJack
03-05-2013, 12:46 PM
In most places, but there are many exceptions, so be sure to check the regulations for the specific water you intend to fish ... grin

Yes it is legal to use 2 hooks.