PDA

View Full Version : Question on Hatchery fish and Planted Hatchery raised fish

stefanoflo
03-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Ok I'm getting silly ,But some of these Regulations make me laugh and make me wonder if there is too much weed being Smoked in Sacramento
So here is the Question.:

Some streams or rivers have a hatchery fish Only in streams that don`t plant and do`nt have any hatchery fish What so ever , Whats left is a Native fish that's been there from day one.
So if you should catch a native and take it home . and get stopped By DFG&W
why can`t you use the excuse that you have a Planted fish from a Hatchery ,Not a hatchery per say ,but a hatchery raised Planted fish . I do know those planted are not clipped. so why Not use it. It might make one scratch their heads.

BIG_ONE
03-07-2013, 12:39 AM
If you fish for trout enough, you will start to notice that wild and hatchery trout has a slight different look to them(very hard to differentiate them with the naked eye of someone that fish for trout so-so). In terms of body structure, coloration, spot patterns, and etc...there's a slight difference. They're one step ahead of what your trying to pull on them...my advise is don't do it. You can get an extra one step up fine for false claim to a Peace Officer + illegal take of a wild trout. A member on this board (will not mention his name) real life experience...

salmonid
03-07-2013, 07:58 AM
I saw this in the regs, just look for an adipose fin clip to keep it. Otherwise let it go free, why deplete the resource. Since fish can stray into different rivers from where they were planted, even a non-planted river can have a small number of hatchery fish.

** Hatchery trout or steelhead in anadromous waters are those showing a healed adipose fin clip (adipose fin is absent) (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish-Mar2013/steelhead.html). Unless otherwise provided, all other trout and steelhead must be immediately released.Wild trout or steelhead are those not showing a healed adipose fin clip (adipose fin is present).

Freshwater Sport Fishing Regulations - Waters with Special Regulations (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish-Mar2013/ccr-t14-sec7_50.html)

FISHERPRICE
03-07-2013, 08:09 AM
if you fish for trout enough, you will start to notice that wild and hatchery trout has a slight different look to them(very hard to differentiate them with the naked eye of someone that fish for trout so-so). In terms of body structure, coloration, spot patterns, and etc...there's a slight difference. They're one step ahead of what your trying to pull on them...my advise is don't do it. You can get an extra one step up fine for false claim to a peace officer + illegal take of a wild trout. A member on this board (will not mention his name) real life experience...

i always look for the tall tale sighn on the tail. When they leave the hatchery they have a rounded type tail. When they are in the river system for a long time the tail looks typical naitive but you can usually see a scar like look from when they were at hatchery. Hope i made sense. This is my experiance anyways

dabalone
03-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Should be noted, and I encourage people to always check for themselves. The keeping of hatchery vs wild only applies to anadromous waters or if special regulations waters says different. Leads to a question, do they even plant fin clipped fish in non anadromous water?

Geo
03-11-2013, 06:34 PM
I agree with dabalone.......it's not worth it my friends.