PDA

View Full Version : Red Lake Ice Fishing Video Report

Calicanuck
03-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Fished Red Lake in the Sierra's of Northern California South of Lake Tahoe for trout. Had a ton of action, fish after fish. They are on the small side but lots of fun to watch on the MarCum and hook up. Check out the MarCum action in the second half of the video, amazing how many fish are down there. Fish were all caught on small ice jig and piece of worm.

Red Lake California Trout - Amazing Ice Fishing Action - YouTube (http://youtu.be/_JxN2Jmn3DY)

http://youtu.be/_JxN2Jmn3DY

WHT.RUS
03-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Great videos as always! Been checking them out everytime you post! Keep them comming!

Jfitalia
03-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Good to finally see some fish in red again. The had a die off and last year was pretty bad.

Rugby Lock
03-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Fun video to watch for sure! Never been ice fishing myself but looks fun. Maybe a silly question but how to you know the ice is thick enough to go onto?

dabalone
03-07-2013, 11:30 AM
Fun video to watch for sure! Never been ice fishing myself but looks fun. Maybe a silly question but how to you know the ice is thick enough to go onto?

Not a silly question at all, in fact a darn relevant one if you didn't know.

Calicanuck
03-07-2013, 11:41 AM

That is a good question. There are specific numbers that most follow. All these numbers consider the ice is good clear hard ice. Safe to walk on when 4 inches thick, ATV/snowmobile 8 inches thick, truck 12 inches thick.

So it doesn't really take much to safetly walk on at all. I've actually gone fishing on 2 inches of clear solid ice before.

Down here in California the ice is a little softer cause it warms up in the day time frequently so if you have 10 inches of ice you're probably good.

The easiest way to tell it is good to walk on is to see when other people are walking on. Let the guys who know go out there first. The next best way is to walk out a few feet from shore and try to drill a hole. Check the ice depth. If good go out some more and drill another hole. If the ice thickness is consistent you've probably safe to go out.

I've done a lot of ice fishing and never fallen though. We even take the quads out when it is over 4 inches of solid ice. Ice is stronger than you would think.

The most common danger is a thin spot, like underwater current or spring causing a thin spot. So be careful out there if you don't know the lake. Good Luck.

Captain Compassion
03-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Great video. Tried ice fishing Red once. It was bare ice and I kept falling down. Last fished Red last Fall. Caught a ton of those small LCT. They don't seem to have grown much sense then. Doubt if there are any Bows or Browns in Red. There were Browns in there at one time but the DFG killed them off. There may be some rresidual Brookies but the DFG is no longer stocking them. They can get into the lake from Red Lake Creek in the spring. Every year excess brood stock LCT are stocked in the lake from the Heenan Hatchery. I'm sure there a few large LCT around.

CC

SF21
03-07-2013, 04:32 PM
That looks like a blast!

Maybe if you use a bigger bait the little guys will stay away.

Captain Compassion
03-07-2013, 06:10 PM
That looks like a blast!

Maybe if you use a bigger bait the little guys will stay away.

Not many bigger fish in there right now.

CC

iggybabble
03-08-2013, 08:53 AM
great report and video......its just a pity that the direction Ca is taking regarding trout and stocking programs isnt a good one. as fishermen, we have very few friends in Sacto....

Captain Compassion
03-08-2013, 09:45 AM
great report and video......its just a pity that the direction Ca is taking regarding trout and stocking programs isnt a good one. as fishermen, we have very few friends in Sacto....

When I moved into the area Red Lake was one of the prime Brookie fisheries in California. In the fall there were lots of very colorful fish fattening up for the Spawn. At ice out beautiful red meated fish were in my opinion the best tasting trout in the Sierra. To top it off there were some nice 2 - 6 pound LCT as a nice surprise. It was one of my favorite lakes to fish. I miss it.

Red Lake Limit for Mrs. C.
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/101508-05.jpg

CC

Calicanuck
03-08-2013, 08:27 PM
When I moved into the area Red Lake was one of the prime Brookie fisheries in California. In the fall there were lots of very colorful fish fattening up for the Spawn. At ice out beautiful red meated fish were in my opinion the best tasting trout in the Sierra. To top it off there were some nice 2 - 6 pound LCT as a nice surprise. It was one of my favorite lakes to fish. I miss it.

Red Lake Limit for Mrs. C.
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/101508-05.jpg

CC

Thanks for the info on the demise of the lake. From what I read on the internet prior to going I was expecting to catch larger fish than I was getting. I also caught some of these white chub like fish. Lots of them, not sure exactly what they were. But they must be competing with the trout as well.

Captain Compassion
03-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the info on the demise of the lake. From what I read on the internet prior to going I was expecting to catch larger fish than I was getting. I also caught some of these white chub like fish. Lots of them, not sure exactly what they were. But they must be competing with the trout as well.

Red Lake has a healthy population of Tui Chubs and Red Side Shiners. In the good ole days in the spring the trout would roll them up in balls with the Brookies hiting them from the sides and the LCT coming up from below.

CC

Bainter1212
03-09-2013, 09:26 PM
I used to fish Red quite a bit. Stocker bows and lots of brookies. Not so good the last few years though. The only trout that can spawn in any numbers in Red are brookies.