PDA

View Full Version : portable fish finders for banker

underdog63
03-07-2013, 07:22 PM
anyone have any thoughts on the hummingbirds and hawkeyes of the world. i'm not all that worried about the finder showing fish, but i'd like to know the water depth, topography and structure in the ponds and creeks i like to frequent.

AnglingWes
03-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Water depth, yes. Structure, maybe, but not well. Fish, not at all reliably. Most of the units with a floating bobber style transducer send a very weak sonar signal.

salmonid
03-07-2013, 09:52 PM
I agree with Wes. I had one of the humminbird casting units that did OK with depth. Then it died. I bought another one and it died too! Maybe the shock of casting it around isn't very good for it?

feelinfishy
03-08-2013, 06:14 AM
anyone have any thoughts on the hummingbirds and hawkeyes of the world. i'm not all that worried about the finder showing fish, but i'd like to know the water depth, topography and structure in the ponds and creeks i like to frequent. I have the portable humminbird that just diips in the water , i love it .It scans the structure really well to my suprise and is very durable with lots of options.check them out at a store if u can i seen them at west marine, they also have a side view portable , same thing with a split screen .

WHT.RUS
03-08-2013, 07:33 AM
I have the portable humminbird that just diips in the water , i love it .It scans the structure really well to my suprise and is very durable with lots of options.check them out at a store if u can i seen them at west marine, they also have a side view portable , same thing with a split screen .

What is the model?

mastersenko
03-08-2013, 08:49 AM
I agree with Wes. I had one of the humminbird casting units that did OK with depth. Then it died. I bought another one and it died too! Maybe the shock of casting it around isn't very good for it?

Yeah the idea was there, but the reliability and technology sucks on those devices!

WHT.RUS
03-08-2013, 09:22 AM
Re invent and make it better. We can all be millionaires!

Marv
03-08-2013, 09:27 AM
None of the bank fish finders will show topography. You can use a slip bobber to find the depth and a pocket thermometer for temps. Save the money and upgrade your rod or reel. :wileecoyote1: remember this guy? He spent all that money on fancy gadgets, and still got hosed in the end, lol.

dabalone
03-08-2013, 11:38 AM
None of the bank fish finders will show topography. You can use a slip bobber to find the depth and a pocket thermometer for temps. Save the money and upgrade your rod or reel. :wileecoyote1: remember this guy? He spent all that money on fancy gadgets, and still got hosed in the end, lol.

beep beep .................................................. .................................................. ...

For portables still think its hard to beat the fishin buddy

Cali Duck
03-08-2013, 11:50 AM
I just don't think a fish finder is bank worthy. If you're banking...that is just fishing in its purest form. Some days your fishin, some days your catchin... Even if you know the topography...you should be able to throw your weight out and count for depth. But hey, to each their own eh?

49erbassman
03-08-2013, 12:41 PM

I couldn't agree more with Marv on this one!

Sent from my iPhone

underdog63
03-08-2013, 12:46 PM
my thanks to all for the replies. it's mostly for the "i wonder what it is like under there" factor. a spot i frequent consistantly holds fish and i'd like to "see" why. maybe the guys from "hook and look" can do a show on laguna creek.:signfishon34hi6zv:

Line Stretcher
03-08-2013, 01:30 PM
my thanks to all for the replies. it's mostly for the "i wonder what it is like under there" factor. a spot i frequent consistantly holds fish and i'd like to "see" why. maybe the guys from "hook and look" can do a show on laguna creek.:signfishon34hi6zv:

I've seen guy's using GoPro cameras. My favorite fish finder lights with a match.

Bainter1212
03-08-2013, 02:39 PM
"My favorite fish finder lights with a match" ?? Wow. LOL. I know someone who calls that a "fish whistle" LOL

GUSANO
03-08-2013, 03:13 PM
I've had the humming bird, it gave water temp, depth, and pics of rocks weeds and fish (one size for all pics, lol) at depths but the images just looked like those old school hand held video games. Was not truly reliable except for water depth and temp.

There is one model I am vary curious about and almost ready to buy to try out.
Lowrance X4 seen it priced between 76-130 bucks
Some mixed reviews about the connectors and settings but for those who figured it out (took the time to read the instructions i'm guessing) really liked it. It does look like it displays more detail. Might be one to look into. Spend some time reading the reviews if you plan on getting one or any unit for that matter.
~