PDA

View Full Version : spawning trout

stefanoflo
03-09-2013, 02:27 AM
Soon the trout will be spawning in many rivers and streams.My question is do they , The one planted in the lakes go upstream and spawn in a rivers than in a lake or reservoir?? as do the Kokanee that are planted in Melones they go up the Stanislaus and spawn. do the Rainbows that are planted spawn?? in the streams. or are they all Sterile??

dabalone
03-09-2013, 08:52 AM
Soon the trout will be spawning in many rivers and streams.My question is do they , The one planted in the lakes go upstream and spawn in a rivers than in a lake or reservoir?? as do the Kokanee that are planted in Melones they go up the Stanislaus and spawn. do the Rainbows that are planted spawn?? in the streams. or are they all Sterile??

Not positive but I believe most all trout planted by dfg now are triploids, they can't reproduce.

Marv
03-10-2013, 10:48 AM
They have already spawned for the most part, for instance New Melones they were spawning in nov.-dec. Stocked trout are sterile, but some slip through the cracks, meaning that the process used, works on 99% but 1% will remain diploids. Meaning some stocked trout can spawn. Stocked trout will still produce eggs and milt, and attempt to spawn. The fish doesn't know he's sterile or shooting blanks, lol.

shadbuster
03-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Not sure if the hatcheries in the valley district plant triploids, since I still catch a fair amount of fish with sexual organs which triploids do not develop. Supposedly the fish spends more time growing instead of producing sex organs, which is one of their big selling points to anglers. But to answer your question, yes all diploid trout spawn in all the lakes they are in, although the big question is can they do it successfully, which most do not.