PDA

View Full Version : Amador or San Pablo???

hanahou7
03-12-2013, 08:39 AM
Hey Guys,

I am taking the girlfriend's cousin's for their first ever fishing trips on Saturday, and am trying to decide between Amador and San Pablo. I have never fished either, and am wondering if any fellow sniffers have advice on which would offer the better odds of hooking them into their first fish. Any advice on recent activity and/or strategies and tips for the fish at those lakes would be greatly appreciated!

I read the weather and saw that El Cerrito is supposed to have 13 mph winds, and thought that might be a bit rough to do some fishing. Amador is supposed to only have 6 mph winds, but it will be almost 80 degrees. I am leaning more towards Amador but any thoughts would be helpful!

IRISHANGLER01
03-12-2013, 11:58 AM
i would suggest amador. They plant trout weekly so the odds are pretty good at least catching something i would say. if you do go to amador fish by the dam or spillway or anywhere in between. I have been catching quite a few bows on sliding sinker rig with a 4-5' leader and casting out about 15-20'. I use power eggs in chartreuse or pink color and have done pretty well. If you can get power eggs with garlic scent that's even better. the bows at amador really like the garlic from my experience. You could also try the float and fly with a woolybugger. When the fish are aggressive the woolybug works wonders. hope this helps a bit. good luck.

hanahou7
03-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Thanks Irish! That helps a lot! Is it better to fish from the banks even if it's crowded? We were thinking of getting a boat too, or would it just be better to go off shore and save the $80?

PapaGreg
03-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Fished Amador today for my one $18.00 fish! From what I saw, I'd say overall it was slow around the dam area. I moved twice before I got my one, I don't know how the bankers around the spillway area did. I heard some boaters say they had 4-5, others say they didn't have any, but had several hits. Saturday will probably be crowded, don't believe the Stockton Record when they report 1,000 lbs a day being stocked. The gal in the store told me they have been putting in around 400 lbs a day, Monday through Friday. IA gave you his take on the fishing, good luck!

IRISHANGLER01
03-12-2013, 02:39 PM
i would save the money and fish from the bank at amador for sure. I catch just as many fish from the banks as the boaters do trolling. If you can find a point and fish there rather than backed up in a cove I think you have a better shot as well of catching something. In my opinion you don't need a boat at amador.

hanahou7
03-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the info! At least you didn't have a skunk today, and $18 is about what a nice sized trout dinner usually runs ;) haha.

I think we'll probably just rent a boat just so we can get away from the shore crowds and be a bit more mobile when searching for fish. I just hope that the cousins and the girlfriend can hook into at least one fish each. Don't care if I catch since I have had my fair share over the years and would much rather see some first timers get on some fish.

PapaGreg
03-12-2013, 04:55 PM
hahahou, you guys should do okay, especially if you take the boat to some places you can't reach by walking. Shoot, with 4 people, you can try different colors, baits, etc. to see what they're biting on. Again, good luck to you, but most of all, enjoy the outdoors!

hanahou7
03-13-2013, 06:53 AM
Thanks PG! Have a good one and good luck to you on your next trip. BTW, how did your "$18" trout taste? Are they pretty tasty from Amador?

PapaGreg
03-13-2013, 07:39 AM
hanahou, I bbq'ed the fillet last night, it was pretty tasty, nice orange meat, guess it was a holdover. I've had different results with fish from Amador, the white meat ones are okay, nothing special. Some of the fish I caught are between orange and white, I'm guessing they've been in the lake a little longer, not sure.
Anyway, let us know how you do out there and try to stay away from the crowd! I see the Stockton Record is reporting "upward to a 1,000 lbs planted daily". That will bring the crowds to Amador.

hanahou7
03-13-2013, 07:51 AM
Thanks PG! I will definitely post my report, good or bad hahaha. Either way, it'll be great to just get out on the water. Lookin forward to escaping the concrete jungle. Have a good one.