PDA

View Full Version : Stocking trout pond HELP!

D. Lloyd
03-13-2013, 11:58 AM
I have a good friend who just moved to a house with an acre trout pond, the previous owner apparently raised trophy trout and out a lot of time into it. Few years back dam gave way and many fish I'm assuming didn't make it. I have caught 3 18" rainbows so there are fish but I think numbers were hurt.

I'm looking to stock cats and trout in an attempt to re boost the pond for the future. If anyone has had experience or know someone who has please contact me. I've been doing a lot of research but experience would help. Pond is a little over an acre in foothills 3000' has cold water stream coming in and definitely maintained a healthy trout population at one time. All help is appreciated.

Danny

Marv
03-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Here is a place to buy the trout, not sure where to buy live catfish. The pond probably doesn't need any work if the fish are already thriving. You may want to look into stocking a forage fish like shad or pond smelt, even crawdads. Unless your friend plans on pellet feeding them. Good luck and enjoy :)

Live Trout For Sale (http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/grd/3586409843.html)

Jfitalia
03-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Seeing as you have a stream feeding it you may have to contact the state about stocking fish. There is a danger of the trout getting into the streams so they may require you to use triploid trout. I would start by contacting a local hatchery about purchasing trout. They will give you the low down and what if any permits you would need. At 3000ft I would also hope the pond has some depth to as well because an acre isn't that big so it will warm up fast. If you are required to plant triploid trout then that would defeat the purpose of stocking fish since they cant reproduce.

siskiyoufisherman
03-14-2013, 07:42 AM
Catfish will eat the trout.

Jfitalia
03-14-2013, 09:01 AM
Catfish will eat the trout.

just depends on the size of both.

Richs70chevelle
03-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Saw this ad on Craigslist not to long ago13286

iggybabble
03-14-2013, 09:31 AM
Seeing as you have a stream feeding it you may have to contact the state about stocking fish. There is a danger of the trout getting into the streams so they may require you to use triploid trout. I would start by contacting a local hatchery about purchasing trout. They will give you the low down and what if any permits you would need. At 3000ft I would also hope the pond has some depth to as well because an acre isn't that big so it will warm up fast. If you are required to plant triploid trout then that would defeat the purpose of stocking fish since they cant reproduce.

Once the state gets involved, i dont see a happy ending........Fees, permits, restrictions, inspections......and if anything goes wrong? BIG Fines.......

Richs70chevelle
03-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Here's the Craigslist link http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/grd/3586409843.html

smithstation
03-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Contact Brad at Golden State Bait. He stocks ponds all over CA as well as other states. Anything from Sturgon to trout to catfish and anything else you could want. He is based out of Merced CA.

Jfitalia
03-14-2013, 11:10 AM
Once the state gets involved, i dont see a happy ending........Fees, permits, restrictions, inspections......and if anything goes wrong? BIG Fines.......

what do think will happen if you don't tell them and they find out? :duh:

Jay R
03-15-2013, 08:16 AM
Check the link below for a list of approved private aquaculturists (top of the page), descriptions of the private stocking process, and the private stocking permit (bottom of the page). Depending on where the pond is you may or may not need a permit. Assuming the pond is in the sierra foothills around here, east of 49 you will need one, west you won't.
You also might want to check out leaflet #23 Farm Fish Pond Management in California, to help answer some of your management questions.

Aquaculture - California Department of Fish and Wildlife (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/Aquaculture/)

redneckpunk
03-15-2013, 10:53 PM
Great info on finding trout. Best bet for cats is to take a bucket down to the delta for a day of catfishing, fill the bucket and take them home. many moons ago (25+ years) they were doing work on the mendota and had the flows completely shut off and water levels dropped to nothing. My neighbors went in with buckets picking up the cats and hauled them down and dumped them in Shadow Cliffs. They will stay alive in the bucket for hours on end.

~RNP

IronClad
03-15-2013, 11:52 PM
Great info on finding trout. Best bet for cats is to take a bucket down to the delta for a day of catfishing, fill the bucket and take them home. many moons ago (25+ years) they were doing work on the mendota and had the flows completely shut off and water levels dropped to nothing. My neighbors went in with buckets picking up the cats and hauled them down and dumped them in Shadow Cliffs. They will stay alive in the bucket for hours on end.

~RNP

Just dont get caught =P

Freshwater Sport Fishing Regulations - General Provisions and Definitions (http://dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish-Mar2013/ccr-t14-sec1_04-1_93.html)

1.63. Movement of Live Fish. Except as provided in sections 4.00 through 4.30 (http://dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish-Mar2013/ccr-t14-sec4_00-4_30.html#sec4_30) and 230, live fin fish may not be transported alive from the water where taken.