PDA

View Full Version : Minnow Disposal?

Wolf74
03-17-2013, 01:36 PM
What do you guys do with unused minnows after going out on a fishing trip. I know the easiest solution is to just let them go in the lake your fishing, but I'm not sure if that's legal, or responsible considering that they might be a species of fish you don't want in there. So what do you do?

49erbassman
03-17-2013, 01:46 PM
I keep them alive until the next trip

Sent from my iPhone

Marv
03-18-2013, 08:14 AM
Buy a small fish tank for the garage. Look on craigslist in your area probably find a free one on there. If you can fish with them you can dump then in the lake. If it was invasive it would be illegal for bait use as well.

dabalone
03-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Buy a small fish tank for the garage. Look on craigslist in your area probably find a free one on there. If you can fish with them you can dump then in the lake. If it was invasive it would be illegal for bait use as well.

Marv has it. If its a legal bait to use in the area you are fishing just dump them in if you don't want to take them home. Could a warden say you were chumming? Can't answer that one.

WLShafor
03-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Give them away to whoever is around that might use them.

Set them free to swim with the big boys.

WLShafor
03-18-2013, 07:06 PM
If you had a fish tank at home what would you feed them to ensure that they will survive until the next trip?

How about farming your own minnows in a 10-50 gallon tank?

Had anyone attempted to gram their own? For personal use not for resale!

49erbassman
03-18-2013, 08:57 PM
Bread crumbs or any type of tropical fish food will do

Sent from my iPhone

FishnBeer
03-19-2013, 07:37 AM
i was thinking of trying to grow my own grass shrimp. i have a feeling it will be a little more difficult than minnows....

Wolf74
03-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll look around for a free tank somewhere, if not then I'll just dump em back in the lake.

49erbassman
03-19-2013, 02:48 PM
I just use a 5g bucket and small air pump and air stone. Keep in cool area and change 50% of the water daily if you have a lot of minnows. Let the new water sit overnight or use a dechlorinator before using it. I have kept them alive for weeks.......but I did own a retail salt water aquarium store so I know how to care for fish ;-)

Sent from my iPhone

CrappieJed
03-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Fortunately for me I have we'll water from good under ground spring and my minnows thrive. Here is a trick you might like. Medium to large minnows you can use a wire and feed the hook through the minnow with the hook in the minnows mouth. Freeze the minnows and take trip up to bear river reservoir sit on the dam and cast your threaded minnow no weight let the minnow fall to the depths slowly good way catch the char that has ruined that lake. Thank you very much fish n game.
The minnows are good for catfishing too with this method

CJ

siskiyoufisherman
03-21-2013, 10:05 AM
When I lived in clearlake I would buy jumbo minnows by the 100's. I had an old lay down freezer that I added air to. I never fed them and would be able to keep them for months. If you keep them in the dark in the tank and use a 100 quart cooler in the boat the minnows will dive to get out of the daylight right down where the big fish are with no weight. Al at Dons bait in Clearlake would order Super Jumbo Shiners for me and had to be flown in to Ca. then Shipped on a greyhound to clearlake. They were around 8 to 10 inches and strong. I could keep a couple hundred in my tank with out any dying at all.

CrappieJed
03-21-2013, 08:36 PM
When I lived in clearlake I would buy jumbo minnows by the 100's. I had an old lay down freezer that I added air to. I never fed them and would be able to keep them for months. If you keep them in the dark in the tank and use a 100 quart cooler in the boat the minnows will dive to get out of the daylight right down where the big fish are with no weight. Al at Dons bait in Clearlake would order Super Jumbo Shiners for me and had to be flown in to Ca. then Shipped on a greyhound to clearlake. They were around 8 to 10 inches and strong. I could keep a couple hundred in my tank with out any dying at all.
Can you still get those big minnows

CJ

smithstation
03-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Biggest minnows I know of are about 7 inches. The larger minnows are called hitch minnows and can get up to 12 inches. They are illegal to own or have in possession in the state of California.

dabalone
03-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Golden shiners can grow to 12 inches. I doubt bait shops can sell any live bait that is not approved for transport to different waters. All jumbo minnows sold would be Golden shiners.

siskiyoufisherman
03-22-2013, 06:41 PM
Yes Golden Shiner they were. Maybe you can still get them but I doubt any bait shop wants to go through the time to special order them and deliver. Al from Dons bait was a helpfull man and loved to help people catch big fish. I'm lucky to have fished and talked with him. The Super Jumbo's where a two time thing and boy was it fun.

Jetspray
03-30-2013, 05:58 AM
You can always freeze them. Done that in the past, good for sit fishin'......Jetspray