PDA

View Full Version : halibut drift wieght & trolling ?????'s

jon_may
06-12-2006, 10:30 AM
hey all, another question....
how much weight do you use when drifting bait? do you want to keep your line straight down , or is it o-k to let out more line and stay on the bottom that way? curios what ya'll did on saturday for weight....

also what weight do you use while trolling, what size/type flasher?and how far behind the boat?
i dont have a kicker, would my motor scare the halis? it's a 350... (see picture)
thanks for all the help, still trying to learn these methods

keciga1
06-12-2006, 10:40 AM
The amount of weight used depends on the tide and depth. You want just enough to constantly bounce the bottom. Last week on my trip we started with a 4oz in the morning and went to 6-8oz in the afternoon. Some people will keep the line straight down and some will let some line out. Whatever you do when drifting just make sure you watch your rod tip to make sure you are always on the boottom, you will see the tip of your rod shaking. As far as troling here is a link that will help you with that, since I have never tried it yet. Hope that helps.

http://www.coastsidefishingclub.com/?q=node/14

timetofish
06-12-2006, 10:42 AM
I use anywhere from 6-12 ozs. Depends on the depth. You basically want just enough weight to bounce/drag bottom with your line straight down.

Here's another link :http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/helpful/tips-and-tricks/california-halibut-fishing/

keciga1
06-12-2006, 10:55 AM
That web site also has alot of good info.

lmramos
06-12-2006, 10:58 AM
I agree with Keciga, you want to bounce that bottom. Your weight will depend on tidal movement, wind etc. Trolling, I use a 00 dodger with about 28 inches of line to the double hook (treble stinger) or an FBR sized for the bait you are using. I use downriggers. Keep the downriggers bouncing the bottom. Its work, but the prize is worth it. FBR's come in both anchoive and herring size. Good Luck
Mike

arima
06-12-2006, 12:41 PM
I make sure to use enough weight to keep it hanging as straight down as possible. You want the weight to just tick the bottom, not drag along with the drift. As the waves bounces the boat up and down watch the tip as the boat dips it should touch the bottom. Make sure to always adjust your line as I said don't let it drag, Less line out the better.

keciga1
06-12-2006, 12:44 PM
And also make sure your drag is adjusted properly, not too tight, not too loose. Very important.

jon_may
06-12-2006, 02:28 PM
thanks , you guys are real gentlemen!! hahahaha! thanks so much , i'll be slayin hali's with the best of'em!!!!!
btw- cleaning the boat for 3 hrs really sucks!!!! anyone want to take me out on theirs!!!!
-me

cptfishalot
06-14-2006, 06:42 PM
Saltwater boat clean-up ........Welcome to the club.......

cptfishalot
06-23-2006, 09:35 PM
Hey jon_M

How have you been doing out there?
The weight I use range from 4oz to 10oz.

jon_may
06-26-2006, 06:47 AM
we've only been out 1 time, got 1 hali @18lb and 1 striper @ 5lb...
going to mexico later this week , i'll be going out when i get back!
-me

Seamore
06-27-2006, 05:21 PM
Jon, I have been in the bay when 4 oz. would work, and I 've been in the bay when 16 oz. would not keep us down. I have a 24' cruiser (about 6500 lbs.) and that damn wind will move me anywhere from 1-3.5 mph.

TSL
06-27-2006, 06:56 PM
my boat has that same problem
i just nose her into the wind
i dont do much with the hali's
but sometimes i can almost hover on the rockies

TSL

Seamore
07-04-2006, 03:23 PM
I am always drifting for hali's and i can never keep my bow into the wind. I am going to have to get a drift sock i guess.