PDA

View Full Version : Beardsley 3-19

clb101
03-19-2013, 04:11 PM
I had been wanting to go to Beardsley for a while and finaly got it done. Started out useing the hj-12 rapala that I heard about on the FS trout board, put out 2 colors of lead core and started catching fish. It seemed to slow down so I tried a countdown 3 in. trout colored rapala, put it down about 3 colors and it cought fish. I had another set up so I also put out a Gr. brown colored countdown rapala, it was on..... the browns just tore it up. I must have cought and released 20 trout, mostly browns 12 to14 in. I was thinking of heading in and I had one more lure to try, a deep diver shad rap. I put it down about 4 colors and didnt go far, was rewarded with the big fish of the day, a 15 in. Gr. brown, beautiful fish. That lake is full of hungery
fish, I dont know when I have seen so many fish jump 3 to 4 feet out of the water for no apparent reason, maybe something big chaseing them? The sandy lake bed going down to the launching area was a bit hairy for my lite toyota coming out, it took two tries. There were bank fisherman on the shore but didnt talk to any to see how they did. I could not imagine them not catching fish. Beardsley is on.....

mryosemite
03-19-2013, 06:25 PM
Great job! You da man! Now all you need are some pictures so that we'll believe you!

Ok...we'll let you slide this time. Great report.

Steve079
03-19-2013, 06:53 PM
That lake is full of hungery
fish, I dont know when I have seen so many fish jump 3 to 4 feet out of the water for no apparent reason,

I was told they are chasing fresh water shrimp.

clb101
03-19-2013, 08:03 PM
mryosemite; I was thinking about the no pics thing as i wrote the thread. So i guess i have to get a camera and figure out how to down load. I am telling you it would have been easy getting a pic of a trout in mid air. believe me...

RideNfish
03-20-2013, 08:12 AM
How was the drive down to the lake? I only have a sedan and would like to bank fish that water while the fish are on top some. Did you try any toplining?

borntoscout
03-20-2013, 08:40 AM
I was puzzled by the jumping behavior as well. Maybe they jump to shake off a copepod in the process of attaching?

RNf: Here is a pic launch area. Toe of paved ramp in upper left. 2WD parking OK near upper vehicle. Just a short walk down.

clb101
03-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Borntoscout; thank you for the backup on my story, maybe i can put off buying that camera for a while...ha The one thing i noticed was there where a lot of bugs moving very fast accross the surface of the lake. The trout were feeding heavily on them and maybe in there effort they were just running out of water. Ridenfish; I graphed most of the main lakes edge and if you park at the bottem of the ramp and take a hike west towards the dam the water there is 80 to 100 ft. deep 50 yards out. I believe the old river channel hugs that southern shore. No i didnt try top lineing it seemed the more leadcore i used didnt make much differance until the end of the day when i used 4 colors and a deep diver to catch the big fish of the day. Good luck if you decide to go.

mryosemite
03-20-2013, 12:13 PM
How was the drive down to the lake? I only have a sedan and would like to bank fish that water while the fish are on top some. Did you try any toplining?

Steve McQueen would ride the shore with his dirt bike while casting lures and jumping boulders all at the same time. And you want to take your sedan? You're such a sissy.

RideNfish
03-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Steve McQueen would ride the shore with his dirt bike while casting lures and jumping boulders all at the same time. And you want to take your sedan? You're such a sissy.

I wanted to know how the road was down to the lake :-) Besides, a dirt bike????? That's easy. I use my Road King. That takes talent to traverse boulders. :stirthepot:

clb101
03-20-2013, 04:14 PM
hey sorry about that, the road is smooth sailing all the way to the ramp. The only snow on the side of the road was at the top where you turn off the highway.

Steve079
03-20-2013, 07:06 PM
The turn off is just above Pinecrest, but you go down the canyon to about 3500 ft elevation, (give or take, can't remember). It's paved all the way down, then park and walk, it's a bit easier then the walk down to Angels Creek, and a hell of a lot easier then the trek you made down to Morman.:cheesy:

More browns there, they were planting them because the copepods don't bother them for some reason. I guess they won't anymore because they can't make then sterile

RideNfish
03-21-2013, 07:44 AM
Hey Steve, I have driven down there and fished the outlet before. I just was curious how the road down looks snow/ice wise this time of year. Don't know if yesterday's small amount would close the road to my car or not. May go there next week.

PapaGreg
03-22-2013, 04:52 AM
RnF-better do it next week, I understand they are going to start construction at Beardsley on April 1, (no fooloing), and it will impact traffic. The boat launch will aslo be out of service on certain days, along with other facilities.

clb101
03-22-2013, 11:25 AM
If my allergies would give me a break i would be going tomorrow, that last storm was just rain in that area. The snow line was something like 7000 ft. thats halfway up dodge ridge. Papa... what kind of construction are they going to do? When i was there i heard chain saws below the dam and had a couple of logging trucks blow by on the way out. Are they up gradeing the facilities around the ramp and day use area?

borntoscout
03-22-2013, 12:09 PM
The construction projects descriptions and scheduling are linked on the Tri-Dam website:

Tri-Dam Project (http://www.tridamproject.com/)

Mule Skinner
03-22-2013, 02:54 PM
I'll be up Saturday and Sunday. If you see the "Sweet Marrisa" wave me down. Might have some tips.:Gone_fishing:Been fishing this Lake since it opened.

RideNfish
03-23-2013, 08:08 AM
I'll be up Saturday and Sunday. If you see the "Sweet Marrisa" wave me down. Might have some tips.

Please please report back. Would love to know how you are doing. Also see if you can see what the bank fisherman are doing for folks like me. I would love to know if you see fish shallow and what your opinions on best methods will be. Sounds like you have a lot of history with that lake.

Thanks,
Doug

Mule Skinner
03-24-2013, 03:14 PM
The road is clear. Recomend 4wd to launch. Todays fish count, 2 rainbows and 6 browns. Nothing big. Largest brown was 17". Talked to some bank fishers and they were catching rainbows off the dam. Look for the water to start commimg up. It is about 100' down right.now (normal for this time).

fish4les
03-26-2013, 08:27 PM
I went on Sunday in a kayak. I caught and released 15. About 8 browns, and 7 bows. 3 on a kastmaster (trolling), 7 on a rapala, and 5 on powerbait, drifting from the dam to the launch.

pcwa_guy
03-26-2013, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the detailed report that is helpful to others instead of gloatful.

Mule Skinner
03-28-2013, 04:15 PM
I went on Sunday in a kayak. I caught and released 15. About 8 browns, and 7 bows. 3 on a kastmaster (trolling), 7 on a rapala, and 5 on powerbait, drifting from the dam to the launch.

I think I launched right in front of you while you were getting ready.?:undecided:

fish4les
03-29-2013, 03:12 PM
Are you in the white jeep? How did you do?

dilbeck
03-29-2013, 06:27 PM
Nice Outback F4L. Nice fishies too. I love Beardsley! Sadly I don't get up there as much as I'd like.

Mule Skinner
03-31-2013, 03:43 PM
Are you in the white jeep? How did you do?
Yes that was me in the white jeep. I found fish in a few places but there was one place I found a high concentration of browns. Others were catching fish in the middle of the Lake. Ended the day. With 8 or 10?