PDA

View Full Version : Oak Grove Park in Stockton

FireTiger
03-19-2013, 09:55 PM
I heard they are suppose to stock some trout here sometime this week. Anybody know anything about that?

Jfitalia
03-19-2013, 11:00 PM
check the DFW website

Macaddict
03-20-2013, 11:21 PM
DFG said they were stocking there and I live really close. If I can convince my roommate to go with me for the ride, I will let you know how it goes. I was thinking about just calling the park and asking if the plant has happened yet as DFG only publicizes the week to prevent overcrowding.
It's so close but I've never fished there.

FireTiger
03-20-2013, 11:28 PM
DFG said they were stocking there and I live really close. If I can convince my roommate to go with me for the ride, I will let you know how it goes. I was thinking about just calling the park and asking if the plant has happened yet as DFG only publicizes the week to prevent overcrowding.
It's so close but I've never fished there.

I live really close as well, less than five minutes! Thats why i want to try it out. Was thinking bout heading there Friday and then just ask the person at the gate if they planted any. Maybe I'll see ya there.

saizo
03-21-2013, 12:30 AM
Most of the time the front pond is the first to get planted. Water is pretty dirty I wouldn't eat any fish out of there. Duck and geese poop central. Any bright colored pb will work. Sometimes it helps to move your bait because of the stained water. So fish your pb on a casting bubble. Fill it to the top so it sinks. Cast out then once on the bottom reel in super slow. White grubs work well too occasionally. The bass should be coming up to pre spawn soon. And they plant catfish in the summer time. There is one spot in the back where fishing is not allowed. It's posted. If the front pond isn't producing there is an bubbler by the boat dock in between the island that can be productive. Hope that helps. I used to fish that place almost everyday after high school. But that has been over 15 years ago.

Jfitalia
03-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Most of the time the front pond is the first to get planted. Water is pretty dirty I wouldn't eat any fish out of there. Duck and geese poop central. Any bright colored pb will work. Sometimes it helps to move your bait because of the stained water. So fish your pb on a casting bubble. Fill it to the top so it sinks. Cast out then once on the bottom reel in super slow. White grubs work well too occasionally. The bass should be coming up to pre spawn soon. And they plant catfish in the summer time. There is one spot in the back where fishing is not allowed. It's posted. If the front pond isn't producing there is an bubbler by the boat dock in between the island that can be productive. Hope that helps. I used to fish that place almost everyday after high school. But that has been over 15 years ago.

The fish are just fine to eat.

saizo
03-21-2013, 11:46 AM
Well I'm gonna say different. Last year we had my kids Bday party there. I noticed some guy taking water samples and asked him what he was doing. He proceeded to tell me he was taking water samples. This was during the month of may. After we chit chatted a bit he finally said "hey it looks like you got a lot if kids here today. You should probably keep them from touching the water. From the samples yesterday there's all kinds of bad stuff in there." he proceeded to name off some scientific names of the pathogens, bacteria, and parasites. The problem with oak grove is that they only pump in water never pump out. So the duck and geese crap just sits there. When I was a kid there weren't as many birds. Now they have an enormous flock of Canadian geese that don't migrate. Plus all the other ducks and geese. I don't know it's just my opinion and others can argue. But if the man said not to touch the water, is it safe to eat the fish swimming in that water? I'm going to play it safe lol.

k9mark
03-21-2013, 12:30 PM
I can tell you with intimate knowledge the water there is polluted so don't let you kids play with the water. Do not eat fish from there because it could be hazardous for you. But hey, it's your life so have at it. Secondly, please do not leave your belongings in plain sight inside your car. Better yet don't leave anything in your car. Chances are great it will be stolen. Remember, I told you so.

IRISHANGLER01
03-21-2013, 12:44 PM
the first little round about as you enter the park where the stage/theater is at usually produces the most trout there. If they have just planted you could be fishing shoulder to shoulder. Have done it before and seen it before lots of times. Might want to get there early. sink pb off the bottom.

WHT.RUS
03-22-2013, 07:19 AM
I can tell you with intimate knowledge the water there is polluted so don't let you kids play with the water. Do not eat fish from there because it could be hazardous for you. But hey, it's your life so have at it. Secondly, please do not leave your belongings in plain sight inside your car. Better yet don't leave anything in your car. Chances are great it will be stolen. Remember, I told you so.

I think you have higher chances of dying by driving into Stockton than eating the fish. I'm just saying!

saizo
03-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Lol hey V sac ain't much better!! Oak park is on the north side of Stockton it's like a whole different city than the rest of the town haha.

Jfitalia
03-22-2013, 03:47 PM
Lol hey V sac ain't much better!! Oak park is on the north side of Stockton it's like a whole different city than the rest of the town haha.

Ha I beg to differ and that one! First of all go compare the homicide rate of stockton vs Sac. Dont forget Stockton has a smaller population! Second I have been doing several ride-alongs with CHP in Stockton and I have seen stuff that is insane!

CRABBY
03-22-2013, 04:08 PM
LOL,just talked to a buddy who is a Sheriff down there that was up for the day.
We were going over old times when we met back in the 70's when I lived there on hammer lane,after all the buddy-buddy talk etc.his best advice was to stay away,just keep on going an don't stop for anything,just pass it by!!!He then clued me in on stuff they deal with an all that.So needless to say you'll never see my ol butt there,just drive by on 99 or 5 an don't even look sideways at anything or anybody!!!!.......:nerves:

Marv
03-22-2013, 04:41 PM
For a while I worked on Farmington and escolon rd. In Stockton. I was running a recycling trailer for a friend. Heard gun shots, seen fights and the gas station on the corner was robbed a few times. I had a few hundred bucks cash in the till all day, and never had a problem. Petty crime is everywhere, but the murders in stockton are almost 100% gang on gang violence, don't wanna get shot don't be gang bangger out @3am selling drugs. Stockton is not as bad as they make it sound. My mom wouldn't go to my brothers house when he lived in Stockton she thought she would get shot as soon as she got off the freeway, lol.

WHT.RUS
03-22-2013, 05:40 PM
Stockton CA crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout (http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ca/stockton/crime/)

Compared to the whole California... Dam Stockton, you'z scary!

I live in a fairly good neighborhood. No gunshots at night and safe to walk around. Anyways, I think it all depends on income level/area.

Macaddict
03-22-2013, 06:28 PM
I've found that anywhere within a mile or so of UOP is relatively safe. I don't have a car and often walk home at night and have never had a problem.

BIG_ONE
03-22-2013, 06:36 PM
Stockton CA crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout (http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ca/stockton/crime/)

Compared to the whole California... Dam Stockton, you'z scary!

I live in a fairly good neighborhood. No gunshots at night and safe to walk around. Anyways, I think it all depends on income level/area.

Better knock on wood. If your living on Earth, it's not safe anywhere.

rpwlaw11
03-22-2013, 08:53 PM
I think you have higher chances of dying by driving into Stockton than eating the fish. I'm just saying!
LMAO- Your chances of getting shot or broken into far out weighs eating a freshly planted trout. Think J was just saying, the trout are fresh planters made to be caught and eaten. Feel safe to do so or not. Now if by some miracle they survive and holdover, I wouldn't eat them for sure. But still would rather take my chances eating a trout than the other option.

Whacked
03-22-2013, 09:02 PM
I fished Oak Park a few times after work.
As far as pollution goes, you can pretty much include a huge chunk of the Delta with that.

soarwitheagles
03-23-2013, 12:07 AM
Hey guys,

Nice post and great info. I hope you catch some healthy fish and have a safe time too!

A simple heads up. I have worked in Stockton now for almost 8 solid years. I am a teacher in a school district there. The crime and the violence is not a myth. Last year, 4 of my student's close relatives [as in brother, sister, uncle, nephew, niece, etc.] were either shot and/or murdered as well as one staff member's brother. And that is all in just one school, for one school year [10 month period]. It's real, and it is a present danger.

Gang undercover came in and gave an incredible eye opening presentation as to what is going on. I cannot give all the details, but here are some tips that might help you if you would like to fish safely in Stockton:

Don't wear any red or blue that is visible.

Constantly be aware of your surroundings and people's clothing and body language.

Avoid eye contact with anyone that you feel/sense is gang related or involve in crime.

If you start to feel uneasy in a situation or have that gut feeling that something is off, do your best to leave as quickly and quietly as possible.

Always leave yourself a way of escape.

Do NOT under any circumstances wear any gold, or other jewelry...simply leave it at home!

Do not flash any amount of cash and keep your electronics [phone, ipod, etc.] out of sight.

Please do not misunderstand me....I am not trying to spread fear. I am simply sharing what the police taught us and what I have learned while working in a genuine war zone.

I am not joking, if you are gonna fish in Stockton, be prepared.

Have a good, safe fishing trip!

Soar

rpwlaw11
03-23-2013, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the tips eagles, I have worked in Stockton and have people I know work in Stockton. It's definitely a place that your odds are way better than most people think about being in the wrong place at the right (wrong) time scenario. Not scared to venture into Stockton, but I don't take the chances of something going wrong quickly lightly either.

shadbuster
03-23-2013, 08:29 PM
Its really not that bad, most if not all violence is gang on gang violence, if you leave them alone they will leave you alone, nobody wants any trouble. Don't want to be murdered, then don't join a gang or be affiliated with drugs and gang bangers, easy as that. As for petty crime, I never been the victim of it, just don't make yourself a easy target, don't act like you don't belong in a area, don't flash cash, don't venture into south of highway 4 after dark unless you live there, look and act confident (not cocky or confrontational!). And you will be fine.

HMONG_James_Vang
03-24-2013, 12:34 PM
i'm a stockton native, born, raised, and still residing here on the north side. watch your back and be in and out. best thing in stockton... it's the stockton delta.

soarwitheagles
03-30-2013, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the tips eagles, I have worked in Stockton and have people I know work in Stockton. It's definitely a place that your odds are way better than most people think about being in the wrong place at the right (wrong) time scenario. Not scared to venture into Stockton, but I don't take the chances of something going wrong quickly lightly either.

Thanks for the nice reply. Most of the people in Stockton are real nice and very caring people. Unfortunately, there is that small percentage of the population that have very little respect for life and/or personal property.

I have rarely feel afraid while in Stockton, but I do my very best to remain alert, keep a low profile, and try to never do anything that would provoke someone in an unnecessary way.

Have a good one!

Soar

soarwitheagles
03-30-2013, 09:23 PM
i'm a stockton native, born, raised, and still residing here on the north side. watch your back and be in and out. best thing in stockton... it's the stockton delta.

Nice way to put it James!

Soar

atavuss
03-31-2013, 01:04 PM
Hey guys,

Nice post and great info. I hope you catch some healthy fish and have a safe time too!

A simple heads up. I have worked in Stockton now for almost 8 solid years. I am a teacher in a school district there. The crime and the violence is not a myth. Last year, 4 of my student's close relatives [as in brother, sister, uncle, nephew, niece, etc.] were either shot and/or murdered as well as one staff member's brother. And that is all in just one school, for one school year [10 month period]. It's real, and it is a present danger.

Gang undercover came in and gave an incredible eye opening presentation as to what is going on. I cannot give all the details, but here are some tips that might help you if you would like to fish safely in Stockton:

Don't wear any red or blue that is visible.

Constantly be aware of your surroundings and people's clothing and body language.

Avoid eye contact with anyone that you feel/sense is gang related or involve in crime.

If you start to feel uneasy in a situation or have that gut feeling that something is off, do your best to leave as quickly and quietly as possible.

Always leave yourself a way of escape.

Do NOT under any circumstances wear any gold, or other jewelry...simply leave it at home!

Do not flash any amount of cash and keep your electronics [phone, ipod, etc.] out of sight.

Please do not misunderstand me....I am not trying to spread fear. I am simply sharing what the police taught us and what I have learned while working in a genuine war zone.

I am not joking, if you are gonna fish in Stockton, be prepared.

Have a good, safe fishing trip!

Soar I was born and raised in Stockton, worked there all my life and now have retired and still live in Stockton. The items above highlighted in red can apply anywhere, not just in Stockton. It is all about having common sense in your daily life.

stefanoflo
03-31-2013, 02:16 PM
I was born and raised in Stockton, worked there all my life and now have retired and still live in Stockton. The items above highlighted in red can apply anywhere, not just in Stockton. It is all about having common sense in your daily life.

I agree with it all ,I Live hear as well since i was 4 Months old .Times have changes and it`s getting worse at best. The city is a Joke . I won`t get into details . But I would rather go out to the Mother load hills or Lodi Than go anywhere in Stockton for fear of the **** that Can or will happens in this City by the lowest form of Human animal kind ever. and That`s being kind.