PDA

View Full Version : Steelhead Survey in Santa Cruz

KidFishRelease
03-20-2013, 08:58 PM
I participated in a survey for counting the number of steelhead in Soquel Creek, Capitola. It was an interesting and exciting experience where I met many people who shared a similar hobby. You can view the results of the survey in my blog. The link is below.
Soquel Lagoon: Steelhead Survey! (http://kidfishrelease.blogspot.com/2013/03/soquel-lagoon-steelhead-survey.html)

salmonid
03-20-2013, 09:05 PM
Can you post the survey so we can view it without "logging in"?

Thanks,

saizo
03-21-2013, 12:32 AM
I can't see it without logging in also. We're there any big fish?

KidFishRelease
03-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Sorry for the problems. I've made an adjustment to the link, tell me if there is still issues.

salmonid
03-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the update, the link works now.

I guess the steelhead you guys collected in there were smolts heading out to the ocean, right? Did the biologists mention how many adults come back to spawn there?

Pretty cool,

FresnoJack
03-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Your link is working just fine, now.

I have many fond memories fishing Soquel Creek and the San Lorenzo River in the late 50s and 60s.

Thank you for your effort in helping with the survey

I participated in a survey for counting the number of steelhead in Soquel Creek, Capitola. It was an interesting and exciting experience where I met many people who shared a similar hobby. You can view the results of the survey in my blog. The link is below.
Soquel Lagoon: Steelhead Survey! (http://kidfishrelease.blogspot.com/2013/03/soquel-lagoon-steelhead-survey.html)

O.mykiss hunter
03-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Thanks for sharing KidFishRelease, it's really great to know that field work and research like this goes on for the benefit of our steelhead populations.

On another note, you're a pretty good writer especially for being a middle-school student. It's quite obvious that you have a great passion not only for fishing but for preserving our natural resources for the future. I respect that you took the initiative to take up the opportunity to participate in a survey like that, especially for being as young as you are. Keep it up and don't lose that thirst for knowledge, maybe someday down the road we'll be recognizing you as one of those biologists who work to help sustain our fisheries!

saizo
03-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Awesome post. That area is still new to me but I fished the San Lorenzo on the day before closing. Just a couple smolts and a sucker fish. It's rare to find such a gem in the middle of town these days. Keep up the good work. There should be river clean up days. On the San Lorenzo there was so much trash along the bank and in the trees from the high water mark.

22koke
03-22-2013, 03:03 PM
We used to catch small steelhead up Zyante Creek to the northeast when I was a kid. Don't know if they still travel there or not.

saizo
03-22-2013, 03:28 PM
I was watching some video on YouTube. Some of those little creeks go dry in the summer now from irrigation. They said that our central coast rivers and creeks have a unique strain of steelhead found nowhere else in Cali. They have adapted to live in harsh conditions. Low and warm water with low oxygen. So much that if you were to take eggs/fry from the Klamath or American, and planted them on the san lorenzo big sur or soquel creek,they wouldn't survive.