PDA

View Full Version : Day Hikes to High Mountain Lakes in the Sierras

mryosemite
03-21-2013, 09:34 PM
I'm looking for a book, website, blog, whatever on day hikes in the Sierras to various lakes for trout fishing. I don't care if it's fly fishing or otherwise. I just want the info on finding the trails, the distance, difficulty, etc. I've seen a book or two that cover some trails on the Eastern Sierras and I've got a book or two that cover the rivers on this side....but I'm not finding anything regarding day hikes to lakes on this side of the Sierras. I'm looking for something that would cover hikes to various lakes in and near Yosemite, the Kennedy Meadows Area, and anything inbetween.

I can find information scattered throughout various sources like a blog here and there, but does anyone have a good go-to source?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

k9mark
03-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Check REI, they have numerous books for day hikes. I would also tell you to check out ralph cutters fishing the sierras

tomaniacal
03-22-2013, 07:18 AM
Look for The Definitive Guide To Fishing Central California by Chris Schaffer. the info is about ten years old but pretty thorough. He also put out a book for Northern and Southern California.

Marv
03-22-2013, 07:46 AM
Daves sierra fishing.com has tons of info on sierra fishing. Lakes, hikes, and which lures/flies to use.

Treebeard
03-22-2013, 11:21 AM
...and then there's my favorite method for finding places that aren't in the books... ;-)

TB

mryosemite
03-24-2013, 08:14 AM
Thanks guys, this is a good start, I've saved a couple websites and I ordered one of the books. If anyone else has any suggestions that would be great.

Here's a pretty good website, the guy provides a photo journel of his hikes and/or fishing trips. Even breaks them into different categories with trail maps and the whole nine yards. If anyone uses any similar sites please share, these are awesome.

MrHollister.com Hikes & Adventures - Yosemite and California Wilderness Hikes (http://www.mrhollister.com/hikes.html)