PDA

View Full Version : Fishing lic.

CRABBY
03-22-2013, 03:35 PM
So what do you guys think of this!

http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/2006074/Change-To-State-Fishing-Licenses.... (http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/2006074/Change-To-State-Fishing-Licenses.html)

JB14
03-22-2013, 04:07 PM
It's california. They'll find a way to screw up even something this simple.

With that said it should be a no brainer. If I pay for a year I should get a year.

CRABBY
03-22-2013, 04:13 PM

With that said it should be a no brainer. If I pay for a year I should get a year.CH why ya keep changin your handle on me,LOL....Smoggy

Line Stretcher
03-22-2013, 04:20 PM
I like the idea but I hate fact that this stupid politician is proporting it to be some sort of revolutionary idea. How long has the DMV being doing the exact same thing now?

CRABBY
03-22-2013, 04:28 PM
I like the idea but I hate fact that this stupid politician is proporting it to be some sort of revolutionary idea. How long has the DMV being doing the exact same thing now?LOL,good thing to,can you Imagine the overload dmv would suffer if we were all due at the same time???Those dips would self implode!!:wink:

49erbassman
03-22-2013, 04:42 PM
Been asking for this for 15 years!!

Sent from my iPhone

CrappieJed
03-22-2013, 05:35 PM
Great idea....I especially like Tom Berryhill. Go Tom

CJ

Marv
03-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Would you pay an extra $15 for your fl next year for this privillage. Well let me be the negative one, lol. Dumb idea, first off i get my fl for Christmas every year. Second if you don't buy your fl till july that's your fault for being lazy. Last they will bill us 10 million to make necessary "changes" and your licence will cost more for the favor some dope cooked up "cough, cough" stole.

No thanks Mr. Politican, you worry about stealing our money, and we'll worry about fishing!!!

CrappieJed
03-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Would you pay an extra $15 for your fl next year for this privillage. Well let me be the negative one, lol. Dumb idea, first off i get my fl for Christmas every year. Second if you don't buy your fl till july that's your fault for being lazy. Last they will bill us 10 million to make necessary "changes" and your licence will cost more for the favor some dope cooked up "cough, cough" stole.

No thanks Mr. Politican, you worry about stealing our money, and we'll worry about fishing!!!
Marv I didn't read anything about what you said in the article Don put on here. Now if what you said is correct I will agree with you. With that being said I would like see some proof of your statement. I may have overlooked something I don't know.

CJ

Line Stretcher
03-22-2013, 06:28 PM

I mind the extra 15.00. Heck a lot my trips are E ticket rides and you can't buy a season pass to Disneyland for the price of a fishing license but the constant raising of the prices has got to stop. Next thing they'll take away will be the minimum age and a lot of kids will just plain miss out on learing to fish.

BIG_ONE
03-22-2013, 06:32 PM
I thought someone tried to petition this once last year, but it failed to even get onto the table for a discussion...

Marv
03-22-2013, 06:35 PM

With that said it should be a no brainer. If I pay for a year I should get a year.

Not to argue, but your paying for the year, not a year. If you go to an amusement park or ski resort you can't buy a season pass the last week it is good for and expect to use it the next year. Most of us, you included are year round fisherman, so we will always have a licence. Not just jump in our truck and wonder if our licecne is good.

Line Stretcher
03-22-2013, 06:46 PM
Not to argue, but your paying for the year, not a year. If you go to an amusement park or ski resort you can't buy a season pass the last week it is good for and expect to use it the next year. Most of us, you included are year round fisherman, so we will always have a licence. Not just jump in our truck and wonder if our licecne is good.

Marv, that's the way it is now but if the new law passes then you pay for 12 months and you get 12 months. The honest thing for the state to do would go to a prorated system and also offer 1, 3 and 7 day licenses for residents. That aint going to happen.

Fern-dog
03-22-2013, 07:01 PM
I have a Brother-Inlaw coming out to California from Missouri for the first time ever. He will be here for close to three weeks and really wants to get in some west coast fishing while out here. In researching the situation, as a non resident our options for a fishing license during that period really stink! He can get a one day, two day, ten day or a full one year. I think the way to go is two ten day license. In any case, as is with this alleged proposal, $$$ fees really seem crazy! Just my opinion. Kind of off topic, sorry.

Fern Dog

Line Stretcher
03-22-2013, 07:12 PM
I have a Brother-Inlaw coming out to California from Missouri for the first time ever. He will be here for close to three weeks and really wants to get in some west coast fishing while out here. In researching the situation, as a non resident our options for a fishing license during that period really stink! He can get a one day, two day, ten day or a full one year. I think the way to go is two ten day license. In any case, as is with this alleged proposal, $$$ fees really seem crazy! Just my opinion. Kind of off topic, sorry.

Fern Dog

I absolutely agree, I think an out of state license should be valid. The boost to local micro economies would generate adequate tax revenues to cover any lost licensing revenue.

JB14
03-22-2013, 07:14 PM
Plenty of places prorate fees based on the amount of time the service is going to be used. Gyms, parking, berth for boat etc. If I purchase an annual fishing license for full price it should be for 12 months. By not doing that the state is just generating additional revenue by providing a 12 month service that will only be used by some for less than that.

CrappieJed
03-22-2013, 07:15 PM
I will put a call into Berryhill get the skinny. Tom loves to hunt and fish and he hates liberals...lol

CJ

dabalone
03-22-2013, 07:42 PM
This would require a environmental impact study, probably take 4 or 5 years and cost couple hundred million.

BIG_ONE
03-22-2013, 07:49 PM
Buying a new license at the start of each year - generates $$$. Having a valid fishing license in possession for a full 12 months - loses $$$. At least that's how I see it.

Line Stretcher
03-22-2013, 08:40 PM
Buying a new license at the start of each year - generates $$$. Having a valid fishing license in possession for a full 12 months - loses $$$. At least that's how I see it.

Nah, the math is the same on the revenue. Under the current law it doesn't matter when you buy it, it still cost the same and it still expires on the same day. The guy that doesn't buy a license until October isn't goin to buy another one until next Octobler. With the new law, the only thing that changes is the expiration date and since it floats to the purchase date then revenue is exactly the same. This is why I think a prorated system with a fixed expiration date is the honest way to go.

The only thing that this benefits is the reduced need for part time employees to manually process licenses when they all expire on the same day. They are doing it for one reason only and that's to cut processing costs.

It just like them telling everyone that they were extending the amount of time a DUI stayed on a driving record to deter drunk driving. That was crap, they did that so they could get another three years of not having to fund good driver benfits that we pay for as part of the mandatory inusrance program. They save 125.00 per driver per month with that extension.

CrappieJed
03-22-2013, 10:39 PM
Nah, the math is the same on the revenue. Under the current law it doesn't matter when you buy it, it still cost the same and it still expires on the same day. The guy that doesn't buy a license until October isn't goin to buy another one until next Octobler. With the new law, the only thing that changes is the expiration date and since it floats to the purchase date then revenue is exactly the same. This is why I think a prorated system with a fixed expiration date is the honest way to go.

The only thing that this benefits is the reduced need for part time employees to manually process licenses when they all expire on the same day. They are doing it for one reason only and that's to cut processing costs.

It just like them telling everyone that they were extending the amount of time a DUI stayed on a driving record to deter drunk driving. That was crap, they did that so they could get another three years of not having to fund good driver benfits that we pay for as part of the mandatory inusrance program. They save 125.00 per driver per month with that extension.
Makes the most since to me...I like it

CJ

siskiyoufisherman
03-23-2013, 05:48 AM
I thought they changed the color of the license every Jan. 1st and made you make it visible so they could check you with a spotting scope. Now they have dropped making it visible so the color should not matter any more. I like the Idea of a full 12 month license since the holidays sometimes makes money a little tight and I have to wait to recoup and catch up to afford a new license.

Line Stretcher
03-23-2013, 07:39 AM
I thought they changed the color of the license every Jan. 1st and made you make it visible so they could check you with a spotting scope. Now they have dropped making it visible so the color should not matter any more. I like the Idea of a full 12 month license since the holidays sometimes makes money a little tight and I have to wait to recoup and catch up to afford a new license.

If you know you have to pay a bill a year in advance, start saving for it a little at a time begining the day after you buy your license. I realize that 4.00 a month can often be tough to come up with when food on the table is the priority but you might be suprised how well a piggy bank can work for this kind of stuff. I've got a change bucket on my desk with a picture of me fishing taped to it. I throw all my spare change in it and occasionally when I want something I haven't budgeted for I'll count it out, roll it up and cash it in. I'm often amazed at how much I've saved. One year when times were tough I had to dip into it to pay a water bill but by the time my license was due I had put enough away for it again.

dabalone
03-23-2013, 08:16 AM
When people have to plan ahead to buy a fishing license its not the savers its the cost of the damn thing. A relatively small percentage of fishermen catch 90% of the fish, most people who buy a fishing license catch very few fish, many catch none during the year. I would say by far most people who fish are just casual fishermen who go now and then. These people are the first to quit buying because its not that important to them and not worth the high cost. Without the casual users the serious minded fishermen also lose with lower budgets for programs sustaining fisheries they like or depend on, we already see this.

Add the higher and higher costs of fishing licenses to the fact unless you buy them on certain date you get even less value for your money more and more people will just say nah, don't think so.

Recent numbers
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=59818&inline=1

Line Stretcher
03-23-2013, 08:30 AM
When people have to plan ahead to buy a fishing license its not the savers its the cost of the damn thing. A relatively small percentage of fishermen catch 90% of the fish, most people who buy a fishing license catch very few fish, many catch none during the year. I would say by far most people who fish are just casual fishermen who go now and then. These people are the first to quit buying because its not that important to them and not worth the high cost. Without the casual users the serious minded fishermen also lose with lower budgets for programs sustaining fisheries they like or depend on, we already see this.

Add the higher and higher costs of fishing licenses to the fact unless you buy them on certain date you get even less value for your money more and more people will just say nah, don't think so.

This is one of those threads where all the points being made are valid. I agree the license fee structure is whacked and there's a snowballs chance in haties of them ever going with a prorated system. I can sell one day licenses to clients but it cost me for the priveledge to do that. I either pass it on to the customer in my fees or I eat it and say a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

If I beleived that every dime of my license(s) costs were going into the costs of making the services available then I'd never flinch. Problem is, I know it's not, so yes I get mad as heck when my license fees pad some politicians pocket or pay a team of attourney's to defend our rights against a group of tail coat riding ding bat do gooders that haven't got a clue. Oh yeah, thats rant! I'll stop..

49erbassman
03-23-2013, 09:17 AM
If it cost more just to do it this way forget it. It's already close to $50 a pop and rising every single year yet fishing gets worse and there is more garbage and less places to fish every year.

Sent from my iPhone

Line Stretcher
03-23-2013, 09:42 AM
If it cost more just to do it this way forget it. It's already close to $50 a pop and rising every single year yet fishing gets worse and there is more garbage and less places to fish every year.

Sent from my iPhone

Garbage along the rivers was worse this year. I cleaned up a lot of it and most of it was household garbage from trash cans along the rivers that got washed out during the Decemeber storms. It would have taken a small army to get it all cleaned up and it was a small army of guys like you and I that did our part to take care of our resources. DFW, the state, cities, counties, etc can do just so much, we have to do our part too.

Something that most people overlook is that when you apply for and are issued a license to hunt or fish it's a permit to use the land in the capacity of that of a conservationist. You actually sign on as part of the team when you apply for your license. Conservation goes well beyond bag limits that control populations. It also means you are part of the team that makes sure that our precious resources are preserved.

The process of acquiring a license has become so automated that few even realize what they are doing and the responsibilites that go with it. Heck, I'd bet better then 50% don't even know where to get a copy of the regs let alone read them.

I wish they would, at the least, pull the part of the hunters safety course that applies to being a conservationist and sportsman like conduct and make it mandatory for all fisherman. It could be made into an online boaters/fishing safety course and I would bet we'd see things change. Just being aware could make a huge difference.

CrappieJed
03-23-2013, 10:52 AM
If it would stop the scum from putting garbage on the banks get more wardens to police poachers I would pay $100 for license

elect a governor a pres and congress that knows how to budget we wouldn't be in this mess.

CJ

siskiyoufisherman
03-23-2013, 11:58 AM
PDGS, Last 4 years we have been using are change to help pay for the mortgage with none to spare. When I go fish I make sure the money I spend on the trip brings home more food than I would spend at the market. I vote for the 12 month license. A few years back I would get my license every Jan.1 and buy gear and boats and Catch & Release almost every fish I would catch but now I bring home what I can eat without freezing any (I like them trout fresh not frozen) and since I live on a river and have a great lake only 12 miles away my trips don't cost very much.

Line Stretcher
03-23-2013, 02:38 PM
PDGS, Last 4 years we have been using are change to help pay for the mortgage with none to spare. When I go fish I make sure the money I spend on the trip brings home more food than I would spend at the market. I vote for the 12 month license. A few years back I would get my license every Jan.1 and buy gear and boats and Catch & Release almost every fish I would catch but now I bring home what I can eat without freezing any (I like them trout fresh not frozen) and since I live on a river and have a great lake only 12 miles away my trips don't cost very much.

I hear ya, things are tough and the last 5 years have pretty much sucked for many of us.