PDA

View Full Version : Lake Sonoma 3/23/13

Line Stretcher
03-23-2013, 08:12 AM
Went up to the lake early this morning and when I got out of the truck I could feel about a 5mph wind. I looked at the lake and it was already building so I rechecked the weather and the forecast was for winds increasing throughout the day. There were a lot of guys going out but I know that lake well so I turned around and came home. You can't troll it well enough this time of year if you can't control your boat and its speed. Bass Fisherman would have been fine up the arm and in the coves. I was out for chrome so it was a no go for me.

Another thing I noticed while I was sitting in the parking lot makeing up my mind. A lot of guys are heading straight for the ramp and preping their rigs at the ramp. The traffic will be picking up from now on so please, prep your boat in the parking lot. When you launch, if possible, move your boat to the other side of the dock or as far out as you can so that other single person launchers can launch. This will help to relieve the congestion on the ramp and make for a lot happier people at the ramp. It will also let your hubs cool down and keep you from destroying the seals and sucking in water.

Rugby Lock
03-23-2013, 08:16 AM
just another newb question from me but what do you mean by the chrome?

RideNfish
03-23-2013, 08:34 AM

Just means he was after the shinny fish. Trout... :-) Not ditch pickles (bass) haha.

Good advice PDGS on the boat prep. I dont' have a boat but can't believe how many people drive down block the ramp and start getting things ready and shoot the breeze when others are waiting. I like the hub cool down time too. Makes perfect sense.

Cheers,

49erbassman
03-23-2013, 09:13 AM
Great advise!

Sent from my iPhone

Line Stretcher
03-23-2013, 09:29 AM

Lake Sonoma has land locked Steelhead aka Pacific Ocean Rainbow Trout.

Rugby Lock
03-24-2013, 06:37 AM
Thnkas for the explanation and the tip on the hub cool down. As a new boat owner I'll take all the advice I can get!

clb101
03-24-2013, 11:20 AM
Your observation at the ramp is right on the money. Your launch edicate should be in bold letters on a very large sign at all launch sites. Everything goes alot more smoothly when you prepare your boat pre launch.

ngt
03-26-2013, 05:44 AM
Hey Steve, sorry I missed the message, but it looks like nothing happened anyways. I was still catching up on getting back into town stuff, and this weekend is a friends birthday on Saturday and Easter Sunday. As for the ramp, I think every time we've gone out there, at least 1-2 people are getting ready at the ramp. When we are leaving though, it seems like 5-6 people are getting ready, lol. That "it's starting to warm up and the sun just came out" non-fishing boaters crowd, but yeah, some fishermen too.