PDA

View Full Version : New Melones Rainbow 3/22

Ihavegills
03-24-2013, 08:04 AM
Hiked down to New Melones for an over night camping trip. Clear water, a little stained but blue. Very cold water. Night air dropped down into the 20's. The fish were very hard to get motivated I believe b/c of the temps. Bug hatches early in the morning, and right before dark. Some really nice fish surfacing, as well as some dinkers. Caught this guy on the 3rd cast with a tiny spoon, 2lb test, then nothing but perhaps one tug on the line the next morning. In 2-3 weeks that lake is going to erupt with a massive bite (my prediction) Enjoy the video! (Flawless C&R at the end ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDVjBcMbSpU&list=UUrxdngBTamwlSZCZhQ0obkg&index=1

bobcatken
03-24-2013, 09:00 AM
Cool video. What kind of camera were you using?

Ihavegills
03-24-2013, 09:17 AM
gopro 3 standard

PapaGreg
03-24-2013, 12:10 PM
Nice fish! Man, that water is low, what area were you fishing?

Ihavegills
03-24-2013, 01:00 PM
Stanislaus river arm

RideNfish
03-24-2013, 02:36 PM
Thanks for sharing. I hope we get one more good shore bite for trout before it gets hot.

Seon
03-24-2013, 03:05 PM
That was so neat. C & R...way to go!!

Looks like it'll be windy at Rio Vista next week so I guess I'll shoot up to Melones where there will be a less wind.

:dankk2:

Ihavegills
03-24-2013, 06:25 PM
He did look tasty didn't he !!!! The fish was just too pretty to keep. I could see the flashing way deep in the water and I knew that it was fatty. Usually, if the fish looks happy and fat they go back in. I tend to only keep planters and holdovers. Classic trout gear never fails. (Usually). Hey question for anybody who fishes this body, have you ever dropped down a minnow or goldfish REALLY DEEP with a split shot for big trout?

Any ideas?

Rugby Lock
03-25-2013, 04:40 AM
Nice video! Thanks for sharing! The underwater shot was really cool... I'm in the market for a new camera and I might have to research that one!

Marv
03-25-2013, 08:25 AM
Nice looking fish, gotta love the GoPro. I think goldfish are illegal to use as bait. only live bait you can use is bait bought a licensed bait dealer. I've wanted to try ah minnow myself. I hope I'm wrong, but i think its over for us banker pretty much. You may run across a couple, but i think its to warm.

stefanoflo
03-26-2013, 10:06 PM
Stanislaus river arm

is that by Camp nine road???