PDA

View Full Version : Re: Pier Fishing

bobby
06-28-2006, 05:15 PM
Where u headed brother?

Also try www.pierfishing.com

bobby
06-29-2006, 08:28 AM
Nice, never fished it.,, I am way up here in Snata Cruz. Check that link, there should be some great info there!!

gmdcdvm
06-30-2006, 05:38 PM
I agree, try www.pierfishing.com, but its very similar to other piers. Most people use lite tackle (say less than 20lb, and even down to 6-10lbs depending on what you intend to catch). I have never fished Crystal Pier, but I have fished a lot of other San Diego piers. Along the wave breaks you tend to hook up rays, croaker, corbina, and occasionally some sort of sole or flounder. There are a lot of skates, rays, shovel nosed sharks as well. The smelt and mack's can also be found around the pilings, and sometimes even the bonito will come in close.
Common baits include live and frozen anchovies, pieces of anchovies or smelt, squid, pieces of mackerel, and mussels. You can also jig up some smelt for bait around the pilings. Bring some bread, drop a few small pieces at a time into the water, wait for the schools to show up, and then use a sabiki rig with a small piece of bait on each hook. Bring a bucket to keep the bait in with some water, and change it out often.

G