PDA

View Full Version : Poor Halibut Season??

gregorjim
03-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Anyone have a idea of why the past poor Halibut season? Maybe some one in DFG can chime inA few yrs back , it was pretty good...Probably because with the shortage of Salmon & stripers, that everyone is fishing Halibut...And now they're gone...Too bad because after buying out 13 commercial licenses years back,the fishery just turned on...No more occaisional halibut..It became a viable fishery, where you could acually terget these fish...Really too bad!! Seems that our water going south to AGRI growers caused this tobe the only fishing available...And now the halibut are in Dire Need..Maybe some one has a solution for this? Jim

SF21
03-27-2013, 03:30 PM
I'm not 100% sure I understand your question. But I think its a little early for the main population to move in. I have heard of a couple being caught so they coming in, probably not in the numbers they will be in late April.

JB14
03-27-2013, 05:09 PM
Halibut fishing sucked last year. Can't say why though. Hopefully better this year.

nayr
03-27-2013, 05:11 PM
The only option dfg has is to implement stricter regulations; ie limit , size, season.... much like what you see with salmon and sturgeon.

CRABBY
03-28-2013, 04:15 AM
Halibut fishing sucked last year. Can't say why though. Hopefully better this year.Year before that it was on fire an with all the other restrictions people really slammed the Halibut hard!!Many people were voicing concerns that they were being over fished.They may have been right......:frown:

SF21
03-28-2013, 08:19 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing tags/report cards, and make the damn piers require a license too.

gregorjim
03-28-2013, 01:42 PM
Think we pay enough for licenses & tags now...In Cal its almost $50 with everything added up..Where in Rhode Island, last yr I paid $10...& theres no comparison in fishing.Back east the DFG always tries to help the fishery, where in Cal, our DFG is a complete joke..And until the director of DFG is voted in instead of appointed by the Gov of Cal .we will continue to spiral down as far as the fishery goes,, He always pushes for bigger or more canals to the So Cal Agri Growers & could care less for our completely destroyed fishery & delta...So my vote to increase tags is NO !I think we need to clean house in politics first... But no I'm not Bitter....Jim

SF21
03-28-2013, 01:47 PM
I can agree with all of that^^^

There is just such a huge population of people that go to piers for free and catch all the fish. At least make it license required.

bassman408
03-28-2013, 01:49 PM
I can't say that it's been that bad last year. I myself only caught a handful of halibut last year, but I really didn't target them much. I know a few people that caught plenty last year...at least 30-40.

Perhaps we're talking about completely different areas though. Hopefully everything picks up soon because I can't stand it anymore!! haha

CRABBY
03-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Think we pay enough for licenses & tags now...In Cal its almost $50 with everything added up..Where in Rhode Island, last yr I paid $10...& theres no comparison in fishing.Back east the DFG always tries to help the fishery, where in Cal, our DFG is a complete joke..And until the director of DFG is voted in instead of appointed by the Gov of Cal .we will continue to spiral down as far as the fishery goes,, He always pushes for bigger or more canals to the So Cal Agri Growers & could care less for our completely destroyed fishery & delta...So my vote to increase tags is NO !I think we need to clean house in politics first... But no I'm not Bitter....Jim Welcome to Ca.LOL!!!!brown an his buds need you an your tax $'s for his moonbeam water tunnels!!!...:tit:

simplycook
03-28-2013, 10:01 PM
I can't say that it's been that bad last year. I myself only caught a handful of halibut last year, but I really didn't target them much. I know a few people that caught plenty last year...at least 30-40.

Perhaps we're talking about completely different areas though. Hopefully everything picks up soon because I can't stand it anymore!! haha

I agree with this statement. I think it depends where you're talking about. I remember two seasons ago, there were halibut getting pulled left and right, everywhere in the bay and outer areas. Last year, seemed a little slower but I think people weren't targeting them as much. Though I know my stepdad did come home with a dozen of so throughout summer.

I'm looking forward to catching a few in April and May.

gregorjim
03-29-2013, 12:00 AM
Ole Gov Brown is a johnny come lately...It goes all the way back to when Lovely George Deukmejian was in office...He pushed hard to get the public vote..But it was voted down by popular vote ( even in So Cal) A reporter interviewed him right after the voting out come ...AND he was pissed & said" Well...we'll just keep putting it on the ballot till it passes"' this fom a Gov of cal, who suppossibly represents the majority of the public voters...Guess he was more dedicated to the donations from major growers down south? Anyway its been the same agenda ever since.. I even wrote Sen Fienstein about this issue & asked her not to forget her old bay area friends & save the delta & fishery...No reply..Then she voted for the canal......Months later a story was published in the Chronicle showing how the Main grower ( Resnick) had helped her tru her career with contributions & was also a neighbor of her in Hawaii...I always thought that was a coflict of interest issue...But i guess its OK if you're rich & A politician...Its unbelieveable that these political rats can get away with all the damage & lives they've ruined.Plus No vote...Just push it tru behind closed doors....& now we the public pays to make the certain growers even more ricH.Wheres General George Patton when we need him?/Yes I'm Bitter !! Jim

SF21
03-29-2013, 10:28 AM
That because its not publicized as much as Justin Beaver's new hair cut.

brokea--boater
03-31-2013, 09:29 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing tags/report cards, and make the damn piers require a license too.

Last season the halibut were a no show for sure. And most guys were chasing Salmon instead of all being jammed in the bay because of the prior Salmon closures. So less anglers targeting Halibut, = less daily intel. Pier anglers have no impact nor does sport fishing on the "general" state and heath of a fishery. True if you put fishing pressure in one spot its going to be a desert in that spot.Remember fish have tails for a reason. But that does not reflect the fishery's current state of health. This is why the MLPA is such a joke. California gets more than enough money at the current fleecing of sport anglers. Hopefully there's a good return of Halibut back into the bay this year,,,gregg

steelhead39
04-01-2013, 08:08 PM
I found the halibut fishing in the bay very tough last year. Fished around angel,berkley, and Alcatraz. It seemed there was very little bait (anchovies) in the bay, I assumed that was why the fish didn't come in. Hoping this year will be better!

Dan Clark
04-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Was ok on the bars outside the gate, I only fished after I limited on salmon, also got limits of halibut most days, nothing over 15# or so.

Dan

mana_kai
04-20-2013, 03:45 PM
Was ok on the bars outside the gate, I only fished after I limited on salmon, also got limits of halibut most days, nothing over 15# or so.

Dan

Last year they mostly stayed outside. For a few years before they were all over the bay. My theory is they and some baitfish like a specific level of salinity: Last year after a very wet the bay was too fresh, and normal to dry winters years before they came into the bay more. When the water is being sucked out of the delta they even move into San Pablo Bay. In good years people were catching them off the Marin Rod and Gun pier before and after the spring snow melt in the Sierras. If this theory is right this should be a decent year.