PDA

View Full Version : I caught small steelie or trout in the Sacramento River

WesternStriper
03-28-2013, 12:41 AM
Can they be kept? They are about 5 to 8 inches long. How many can we keep?

Jfitalia
03-28-2013, 04:55 AM
that would be considered a trout. however why would you want to keep a 5-8inch trout?

WHT.RUS
03-28-2013, 07:28 AM
When saying "they", you mean you caught more than 1? In guessing they are smolts. Let them go and you'll catch it again in two years when its 20+ inches.

LURKER916
03-28-2013, 07:53 AM
Could be a native trout, got a picture?

The smolts are silver, natives I've seen are darkies.

Either way a tiny trout isn't too good for a meal. But legally u have the right to keep it. You paid for your fishing liscences.

Sensi Hooks
03-28-2013, 10:54 AM
Lodi Lake drains all their smolts into the river and they are forage to the big fish runs. I talked to a Fish and Wildlife officer that told me all the info.

BigUnInDaBoat
03-28-2013, 11:27 AM
When saying "they", you mean you caught more than 1? In guessing they are smolts. Let them go and you'll catch it again in two years when its 20+ inches.

Check the REGS depending on where you are fishing they may be considered Federally protected Steelhead.

dabalone
03-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Check the REGS depending on where you are fishing they may be considered Federally protected Steelhead.

If its under 16 inches and caught in anadromous waters, Sac, American, Feather rivers, they are all considered trout for regulation purposes.

Line Stretcher
03-28-2013, 12:00 PM
If its under 16 inches and caught in anadromous waters, Sac, American, Feather rivers, they are all considered trout for regulation purposes.

That's the right answer! Its a Pacific Ocean Rainbow Trout but is re-classed to a Steelhead Trout once it reaches 16".

salmonid
03-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Was it fin clipped?

Jfitalia
03-28-2013, 12:19 PM

You are correct! That's why I stated they are trout as well.

Jfitalia
03-28-2013, 12:19 PM
Was it fin clipped?

Based on where they were caught, it doesn't matter if the fin was clipped or not. Plus i dont know if I could see the fin on that size of a fish! haha

BeefCakeScout
03-28-2013, 12:23 PM
Not to mention....a lot of people catch small salmon smolts on bait(especially sardines and such).....BIG fine. They would be easy to confuse for untrained eyes.

salmonid
03-28-2013, 12:31 PM
I thought the Sac river was open for hatchery trout and steelhead now?

This is from the regs:
http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/members/salmonid-albums-random-pix-picture13424-regs.jpg

Based on where they were caught, it doesn't matter if the fin was clipped or not. Plus i dont know if I could see the fin on that size of a fish! haha

Line Stretcher
03-28-2013, 12:33 PM

I think that the planters are 2lb when released. I don't know that for sure, its just something I heard.

dabalone
03-28-2013, 12:49 PM
This is something after reading regulations I am not clear on. We all know steelhead regs kick in on anything 16 inches or over including telling if it is a hatchery or wild steelhead if it has a clipped adipose fin.

In the regs for the same waters where steelhead are found they include "hatchery trout" with a limit. The lower Sac, American and Feather are not designated as a wild trout fisheries. I didn't think anything under 16 inches was subject to a clipped fin reg. Maybe I missed it somewhere.

Wabo Cabo
03-28-2013, 05:02 PM
Can they be kept? They are about 5 to 8 inches long. How many can we keep?

Who keeps 5-8" trout or steelhead? Seriously.:action-smiley-034:

Line Stretcher
03-28-2013, 06:01 PM
This is something after reading regulations I am not clear on. We all know steelhead regs kick in on anything 16 inches or over including telling if it is a hatchery or wild steelhead if it has a clipped adipose fin.

In the regs for the same waters where steelhead are found they include "hatchery trout" with a limit. The lower Sac, American and Feather are not designated as a wild trout fisheries. I didn't think anything under 16 inches was subject to a clipped fin reg. Maybe I missed it somewhere.

The way I read it, it's 2 per day and 4 in possesion for any trout that's clipped and 0 keep for those that aren't.

I think what they did was eliminate the confusion between trout and steelhead. I know for a fact that there's a lot of people that cant tell the difference between a steelhead trout and other species of trout. Maybe DFW finally decided to remove the decision making process. You all know we can't think for ourselves.

WesternStriper
03-30-2013, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the effort everyone. I was chasing split tail. These creature keep taken the bait. Caught four!!!. Released three... Kept the one. DOA It was also clipped. The other was not but released, alive... What interest me to post this because I found a post that he took it home and have dinner with it and it was very good. Since I caught a few from releasing them from the last trip. I will eat this one I caught yesterday... :baghead: