PDA

View Full Version : looking to fish san pablo rez this saturday for the first time in the rain possibly.

LONO100
03-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Hi all, I've fished spr a few times before, and I'm itching to fish this weekend but it looks like it might rain. Anyone have any thoughts on fishing spr in the rain? Is it worth gettin out there? Or does it get too murky? Any tips, info, opinions or help would be great. Thanks.

simplycook
03-28-2013, 09:56 PM
For shore fishing, the Main Rec area down to The Pines has always been decent for me. Sandy Point is good as well, but you need a boat to get there. But if you have a boat, then you minus well go to Scow Canyon and get bass and trout.

Try a number of different lures, micetails, or PB baits and see what they're hitting that day.

LONO100
03-29-2013, 08:47 AM
thanks for the reply, ill be doing shore fishing. me and the gf are fairly new to trout fishing, so i was just wondering how rain will effect the bite. im coming out there with PB and tails for my gf, but ill probably be throwing some kastmasters out there to see how that goes.

LONO100
03-30-2013, 08:25 PM
So we got to the reservoir about 830, early on, we were getting bites left and right, but we just couldn't land any of them. One of them I hooked good, but that sucker snapped my line, I was using just 4lb test. After that, it went ice cold and we went home skunked again. 0 for 2 in 2013 at san Pablo. The whole time we were there I only saw one person land a fish but it was a pretty fat one. We were using an assortment of pb, mice tails, and I even played around with a gold kastmaster, but the wind was blowing a bit and not in my favor. I'm in a serious cold streak right now and I need a slump buster. Anyone know a good place to get put of my cold streak?

William DFC
03-30-2013, 08:31 PM
i went spr today for few hours and caught 5 trouts and release one because small, i am surprise the weather is pretty good .....

simplycook
03-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Don't give up in SPR. Its a good place and they stock the place regularly. The only other nearby place around that would be good is Lafayette Res or Shadow Cliffs. I throw blue/silver kastmasters or Chart PB at Lafayette. Green Pumpk PB or PE at Shadow Cliffs.

LONO100
03-31-2013, 09:51 AM
Thanks guys, I haven't given up on spr yet, just need some good knowledge on it since I'm pretty new to that spot. Any opinions on optimal times to fish, and spots along the shore? I've fished the pines area down that shoreline to that tower thing sticking out of the water. I've gotten bites, but not much else so far. Thanks guys.

simplycook
03-31-2013, 11:21 PM
I'm going to head out there Monday morning before going into work. I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully the water isn't too murky from the rain on Sunday.

Let's meet up there next time you're free to go.

LONO100
04-01-2013, 03:48 PM
I'm going to head out there Monday morning before going into work. I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully the water isn't too murky from the rain on Sunday.

Let's meet up there next time you're free to go.

that sounds great, maybe you can give us some pointers out there. probably wont get a chance to get out there for a few weeks but ill def hit you up next time i plan a drive down that way.

simplycook
04-01-2013, 04:47 PM
No problem. Just PM me whenever you plan on going there again.

My stepdad and I got thru the gates around 7am. Lines in around 730 and had our first fish just before 8am. We fished until 10am and had 9 trout between the two of us(THAT 10TH ONE IS ALWAYS THE HARDEST TO GET!!!). I typically C&R but my parents don't get to eat trout much and they love it.

Rugby Lock
04-02-2013, 04:00 AM

My stepdad and I got thru the gates around 7am. Lines in around 730 and had our first fish just before 8am. We fished until 10am and had 9 trout between the two of us(THAT 10TH ONE IS ALWAYS THE HARDEST TO GET!!!). I typically C&R but my parents don't get to eat trout much and they love it.

What brand and size of rod were you using? What did you use for bait and how far out did you have to cast?

LONO100
04-02-2013, 07:08 AM
i was using a daiwa 4' rod n reel with 4 lb flourocarbon line. i had a cheapie rod n reel of the same dimensions as my 2nd rod, and my gf was using her quantam 6' with 4 lb flouro as well. the bait we were using was corn, garlic and rainbow PB, mice tails, and i threw out a kastmaster for a few minutes too, but the wind was blowing in my face too hard to get a good cast.

we fished the pines area up and down the shore. i would love to catch 10 in an outing! we are relatively new to trout fishing, and are still learning the ropes i guess. ive done well quite a few times at places like bon tempe, but we are new too fishing the spr and would like to figure out all of the better spots and times to hit it up since it is such a shorter drive for us than driving all the way to the san rafael area to fish.

any tips would be greatly appreciated.

N.O Xpl()de
04-02-2013, 04:34 PM

dam those are pretty big fishing rods for trout.

simplycook
04-04-2013, 10:14 PM
dam those are pretty big fishing rods for trout.

haha.. my stepdad doesn't fish freshwater, so he used his huge saltwater surf poles. Still worked out fine. I told him that he didn't need to cast as far as he's typically used to.

N.O Xpl()de
04-07-2013, 06:34 PM
my friend's brother and his friends was out there today and between the 3 of them they limit out. Maybe I should give it a try. I need to know when is their next plant.

LONO100
04-08-2013, 08:18 AM
we were supposed to give it another shot this weekend, but we had to go to a friends bbq. i cant complain about bbq, but i wish i had gone out there!

simplycook
04-08-2013, 10:59 PM
I'm going to try and head out there tomorrow morning by myself. Hopefully I can limit out early then head over to Fort Baker for some jacksmelt, rockfish, and/or crab.

N.O Xpl()de
04-09-2013, 08:21 PM
I'm going to try and head out there tomorrow morning by myself. Hopefully I can limit out early then head over to Fort Baker for some jacksmelt, rockfish, and/or crab.

Good luck tomorrow. hope you catch a big whooper cause my friend went this morning and caught 1 @ 8.9 lbs. dam, and he was rubbing it in my face too. Definately will go next week.

LONO100
04-09-2013, 10:21 PM
i was able to get out to the napa river today and i ended my cold strak and landed two stripers. my gf caught a nice size striper too so we are back in the win column. we are going to try and hit san pablo sunday morning.