PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater forums vs. Members only reports...

Nor*Cal
04-02-2013, 01:21 PM
So I'm wondering, when would you post in the "members only" section vs. the regular freshwater forums?

WHT.RUS
04-02-2013, 01:42 PM
So I'm wondering, when would you post in the "members only" section vs. the regular freshwater forums?

I don't think it matters since lurkers are here and there. Compare the number of registered users to the ones that post on regular basis.

AnglingWes
04-02-2013, 02:18 PM
Whenever you feel compelled to do so. The members only section is not accessible to guests, so you don't have to be as concerned about giving up spots, if that's something you care about.

Jfitalia
04-02-2013, 05:22 PM
I don't think it matters since lurkers are here and there. Compare the number of registered users to the ones that post on regular basis.

This ^^^^^ is corrrect until we are able to figure out some sort of requirement to view the members only forum.

IronClad
04-02-2013, 05:50 PM
On a 4wd forum i frequent the for sale section makes you need around 12 posts if i recall to be able to post a for sale ad . Maybe somthing similar could be added in ? like need 15-20 posts or somthing to be able to view. Would be also easy to weed out the lurkers that sign up and dont post since they will just start spamming posts to be able to see and then a swift ban hammer them for spamming lol :D

WHT.RUS
04-02-2013, 06:00 PM
I say 500+ so only the Veterans can view. My 0.02.

salmonid
04-02-2013, 07:32 PM
LOL dude, come on now that's a little restrictive on new guys like me, I'd make it 455.
Best,

http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/members/salmonid-albums-random-pix-picture13521-nh-5hundo.jpghttp://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/members/salmonid-albums-random-pix-picture13523-sal.jpg

fishingfrieda
04-02-2013, 07:34 PM

And because you now have 500 posts. lol.:cheesy:

fishingfrieda
04-02-2013, 07:35 PM
LOL dude, come on now that's a little restrictive on new guys like me, I'd make it 455.
Best,

http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/members/salmonid-albums-random-pix-picture13521-nh-5hundo.jpg
how about 85?

WHT.RUS
04-02-2013, 07:49 PM
That was a coincidence! Go for 1,000. I wouldn't mind. Would take me couple months to get there without doing any spamming whats so ever:)

redneckpunk
04-02-2013, 08:31 PM
I say $5 each, payed to me and I'll give you the secret password to get on there :cheesy:

~RNP

AnglingWes
04-02-2013, 08:33 PM
That's the same password that pulls the EXIF GPS data from every picture on this site..... Good deal for $5.

Fern-dog
04-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Just my $.02 worth, but here goes nothing.

I guess I address this to those Sniffers out there who for whatever reason have forgotten what one of the "Primary" reasons was, for the purpose of the Fish Sniffer to begin with. It was to provide and share information for fishermen, by fisherman. It wasn't about advertising, it wasn't about keeping secrets, etc. It was about "Sharing" ! It was a means and a way to exchange fishing information, good or bad. There was an expectation of gentlemen agreements to respect others, share information, introduce new ideas, techniques, equipment and to respect the resources available to us.

As for lurkers, they have been here all along. These are the same guys who move in and set up right on top of you when they see you getting fish. Those type of folks will never truly understand what it is to be a true sportsman or sportswoman.

Dont stop the process of sharing information regarding our sport. Play it forward, be a mentor to others. Leave your footprint, but walk softly and leave a legacy of this fine sport for others to enjoy. Just be smart on how you go about it is all.

I for one find no need for a members only forum. The bad apples eventually start to stink and rot, and get tossed out with the other trash.

Just my opinion. Thanks for the opertunity to share it.

Fern~Dog :odie:

CAL.NDN
04-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Lol you guys are funny. You guys know who post and who trolls who shares and who doesn't who helps who trys to help and who just takes or starts crap make a 5 star buy people who fit the right category and them and them only can be a part of it. Something like that.

CAL.NDN
04-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Its always good to pay it foward and i always live that way. But you cant pay it foward over and over agin to those who will just always take take take take and take but never wana give something back to someone else who mite need it. Them that litter them that poach them that have no fishing edicate. I for one dont want to give them any info to the bad seeds. Thats not good for you me or the environment.

salmonid
04-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Yeah Wes, but the savvy folks wipe that info off first. Looking forward to getting your big nook decals, will let you know how they stick.

Best,

That's the same password that pulls the EXIF GPS data from every picture on this site..... Good deal for $5.

salmonid
04-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Well, I guess this is kind of off topic, but seems most of the discussions like this one do anyway. But, I really liked the help I got off the sniffer forums when I was thinking about moving down here! And as a new resident it's good to be able to get info on local fishing opportunities and other random stuff from hard core fisherman. In addition, so far I have fished with two great guys I met here, so it's all good for me, and thanks again guys!

Best,

redneckpunk
04-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Fd, the "members only" section isnt meant to prevent the sharing of technique, knowledge, equipment and ideas. However, there has always been a concern about posting locations in the open forum. And so far, most of the guys who have used the "members only" board have also been fairly open in the open boards and have no problem "sharing". And its been my experience that a simple PM to most of the guys will do wonders to get anything left out of their reports. I for one will post a general area when I have success, but have also sent specific directions to many people looking for advise in that area because I trust members to not "blowup" the spots, liter it, or eventually have access denied.

~RNP

Fern-dog
04-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Its always good to pay it foward and i always live that way. But you cant pay it foward over and over agin to those who will just always take take take take and take but never wana give something back to someone else who mite need it. Them that litter them that poach them that have no fishing edicate. I for one dont want to give them any info to the bad seeds. Thats not good for you me or the environment.

Cal.Ndn .... Point well made and taken. But your never gonna really stop those kind of folks. I have cut way back on the post I used to make on here. I enjoy sharing and posting general info more than anything. I don't worry about pictures because I can never seem to get the darn things posted correctly anyway! I will and do get more detail in PM's if a person ask for specific info. By the way, I've been doing great on the San Joaquin side from Antioch Bridge up to the Sounding Board on the yoZuri Bleeding Head Shallow Diver over the last 3 weeks. Rain or shine, just work the the last two and first hour or so of the tide changes. Lurkers, there's your tip of the month!

Fern Dog

redneckpunk
04-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Well, I guess this is kind of off topic, but seems most of the discussions like this one do anyway. But, I really liked the help I got off the sniffer forums when I was thinking about moving down here! And as a new resident it's good to be able to get info on local fishing opportunities and other random stuff from hard core fisherman. In addition, so far I have fished with two great guys I met here, so it's all good for me, and thanks again guys!

Best,

We had to be nice, the state needs your tax money!! :moneybag1::nana:

Fern-dog
04-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Fd, the "members only" section isnt meant to prevent the sharing of technique, knowledge, equipment and ideas. However, there has always been a concern about posting locations in the open forum. And so far, most of the guys who have used the "members only" board have also been fairly open in the open boards and have no problem "sharing". And its been my experience that a simple PM to most of the guys will do wonders to get anything left out of their reports. I for one will post a general area when I have success, but have also sent specific directions to many people looking for advise in that area because I trust members to not "blowup" the spots, liter it, or eventually have access denied.

~RNP
RNP

Its working, I see mostly the same reports in both places. Just wanted to provide a little history for some of the newbies on how the Sniffer got started and why in a brief overview. I do the same as you in PM's. While we have had our difference of opinions at times, it's all been good and I think (at least I hope) we are on the same page with this stuff.

FD

CAL.NDN
04-02-2013, 09:23 PM
And i for one started only posting there because was tired of drama and arguments on open forum and so far haven't had that problem yet and have made lots of friends who have pm'd to meet on water and help them or just fish with them. I came here to find more fishing buddys and share good times with them not argue with people's. And seems there is alot of that that goes on on the open forum. Just my thoughts. And everyone thoughts have been good.

Fern-dog
04-02-2013, 09:25 PM
RNP,
can you delete that second duplicate post of mine. I must have hit it prior to posting corrected version. Thanks ... FD

redneckpunk
04-02-2013, 09:25 PM
differences of opinion? if you say so. I cant recall what I had for dinner tonight, let alone any disagreements with people on here. :cheers:

~RNP

Line Stretcher
04-03-2013, 06:08 AM
Occasionally there will be someone that poses to be someone they are not and they'll get on here just to stir the pot and see what happens. It happens less on this board than others and that's a huge credit to the mod's here. They actually watch whats going on and stop things before they get too far.

My hat's off to them. Great Job.

49erbassman
04-03-2013, 12:06 PM
I came to the sniffer to learn but in the process have met some great new fishing buddies. Heck me and my son went to a local pond yesterday and a fellow sniffer I met during salmon season was there! I love the sniffer. I had my best ever Trout fishing trip and PB trout caught last year and i would have never fished or camped that area if not for the sniffer! Great folks here that share a lot if your not a troll lol

Fish on!

shadbuster
04-03-2013, 12:15 PM
What the heck there is a members only forum????? Why was I left out of the party lol.

fishingfrieda
04-03-2013, 07:41 PM
What the heck there is a members only forum????? Why was I left out of the party lol.

You have to know the secret password, the special hand shake, how to draw the secret fish in the sand with a stick , and the secret wink. Then you can post. lol, just kidding.:wink:

Line Stretcher
04-03-2013, 08:13 PM
You have to know the secret password, the special hand shake, how to draw the secret fish in the sand with a stick , and the secret wink. Then you can post. lol, just kidding.:wink:

I had a vision and found it... look I'm having one again... go here my son:

http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/forum.php#members-only-reports-info

CAL.NDN
04-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Lol.........